UEFI firmware associated with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012

Since its a brand new feature of a brand new firmware interface(call me UEFI) concernign security i think its a good idea to use it.

Please define "Signed Boot Loaders by specific keys"

Signed from whom? Microsoft?
    and signed how? Like a SHA1 or MD5 hash uniqueley identifies an app?

and what about the rest of Bootable Apps? How can we boot from them via usb?

In gernal how cna we tell UEFI by perhaps creating a whitelist of what Bootable applications would allow or not?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Then explain to me the purpose of existance of this forum since everything we need to know its on the net and we can google to egt the info we need.

Also concering my question since iam a complete ignorant YOU enlight me.
    Several postes today and yesterday the only thing you sais its "Bios Update" and you dont even know HOW that helps Win8 identify the sata controller.
    Today instead of trying to reply to problems i encounter you just only talk of ignorance.

Well i think you CANNOT REPLY properly to problem because you DONT know the answer.
    Who's the ignorant now my friend?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    There is stuff you can easily google.. and there is stuff you can't even find on google because not a single person on earth has ever posted about it.

4. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    if your laptop is new and came with Windows 8 pre-installed, UEFI was actived by default like you said in your original post. If you laptop was new and you deleted all the partitions, and you didn't get any recovery DVD when you bought your laptop, you f*cked your legit windows install. Congrats. You more than likely deleted the partition that had the recovery image of Windows 8. return it to the vendor to have it reinstalled and activated.

no UEFI when you first got it? why do you say it was with UEFI in your first post? what's the model of your laptop? What's up here, you had or had NOT secure boot in the first place? because to be able to boot a live CD with Gparted you must have disabled it or it wasn't on in the first place.

Now, if you didn't understand what people posted to help you, you're either your beyond help and have serious learning issues or you're a troll.

5. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #26 chris34, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    double post and cannot delete it for some reason.

6. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  8. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Exactly you dont give a "f..k". You are a lazy helper thats what you are.

I told you 3 times up until now that i have read the link i posted myself today, which you also posted, and read all cross referencing links pertain to that.
    But because you are being a prick here you chose to ignore that i did take the tiem to read that, to prove your bogus point.
    The reading on that link helped me undestand how to UEFI Win8 OS install it doesnt answer to my questiosn which 'Shenj' answered.

p.s. Greeks are the best scientists in ALL over the world, that why the invent new things and solve problems in a variety of areas.
    Its Greek politicians that are darn thiefs which brought us to the ressesed economical situation we are now.
    All the bright Greek scientist shine in different countries, except Greece, because Greece eats its own people.

9. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    pay me a plane ticket and I'll come fix your computer (you'll have to pay for expenses and hours spent fixing your windows install too). Think of it as a bargain, I don't live too far from Greece.

10. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #31 NikosGr, Jan 4, 2013
    (OP)
    @Shenj: You are implying that UEFI's SecureBoot have an embedded list of allowed boot loaders?

If that was the case then why we make 'UEFI Specific OS Setup' for? There shouln't be a need for it since by intrinsic information it would by default check the current boot loader(i.e. Win8) against its database of allowed boot loaders thus lettign it boot.

We are making progress but that doesnt make very much sense.
    I think UEFI doesnt have a built-in boot loader whitelist, but instead it learns to allow a new boot loader to run, if an UEFI OS Setup prior got installed.

Won't you agree?

11. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I will pay you ONLY if you during computer fixing detail explain what you are doing. Your call.

12. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    My reading comprehension skills are fine and my logic is also fine, its you that cannot comprehend.
    I'am done talking to you.

p.s: Dont forget to report your "direct" insults and call names to me to the mod.

13. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #34 NikosGr, Jan 4, 2013
    (OP)
    No.
    You prove to me the point i make the mistake in my previous post you quoted.
    Go ahead.

14. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    If everyone can do it, you the expert can do it more easily then to enlight the rest dumbasses like me.

I insist.
    You prove to me the point i make the mistake in my previous post you quoted based on Shenj replying.
    Go ahead.

Don't worry i'an not that stupid, i'll follow.

15. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    LOL,the latter half of your post is almost word for word one of my last rants before I managed to escape the clutches of corporate IT support :D On topic(sorta) - I'm rather surprised that the thread hasn't been closed or deleted yet.. Usually the moderators are quicker to jump in the fray :confused:

16. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #37 NikosGr, Jan 4, 2013
    (OP)

If the only "whitelist" in place are the digital signatures (keys) assigned by MicroSoft then why we bother creating UEFI OS Installations?

We should Boot all kinds of Windows flavors(UEFI based Win versions and Ubuntu 12.1 and anything else MS approve) without the need of a prior UEFI Specific OS Setup, since their digitally signatures are embedded in SecureBoot's intrinsic allow list.

Iam using Win8 Pro x64 as we speak, SecureBoot had to be disabled in order to allow me to install it.
    Why? Its an MS product why was i not allowed to install it by default but yet i need to UEFI Setup for it?
    It's MS approved after all.

Are you sure there is a bult-in database for digitally signatures inside SecureBoot?
    and that it doesnt get expanded by UEFI Specific OS Setups?

17. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #38 NikosGr, Jan 4, 2013
    (OP)
    So, you are saying that any UEFI OS Setup must happen first of all, and then a digitally signature will be created for that OS setup, which in its turn will be compared to SecureBoot's allow whitelist of digitally signed bootloaders and if keys make match and found equal then SecureBoot will let the OS Load?

In plain words,

MS approves only certain Digitally Signed Boot Loaders BUT they also need to be UEFI Setup'ed first in order to create their own keys that will be compared against SecureBoots's embedded keys?

18. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    if you had clicked on any of the links that were posted to help you understand what UEFI and secure boot are, you wouldn't even ask such question.

Wiki definition of "secure boot"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot

19. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I feel like walking to a dark room(unknown stuff) and instead of opening the lights(reading the docs) i try to identify objects form and shape by touch.
    That is a very tedious task and waste of time and resources.

You are right, i apologize.