UEFI firmware associated with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012

LOL oh the irony :eek: Hey why don't you go read a website not written in your language and see how well you can comprehend it. My God man just leave.

2. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    You have also ignored advice. If you can't give help politly BUG OUT you aren't needed.

3. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    @pii: I'am very happy(not in an egoistic way, perhaps a justified bit) that some people like yourself, understand the way i think.

Thank you!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #64 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    (OP)
    It's not in my intend to withhold information. Why do that? Such action won't help me getting working responses to *my ways*. It seemed that way because i sometimes miss something - which i try not to.

I clearly state that I from now and on will post ALL issue relevant information.
    I clearly state that in addition to try the proven, well documented, and working methods, I STILL like to try stuff in my ways as well. Side-Effects of "my ways" proven usefull in the 5920g thread described by me as a "retarded innovation" which you and vymdral tend to deliberately ignore.

"Frankly my dear I DO give a damn" to ALL those who politly tried to help me out.
    It's the obsession of trying *my way* that make people think i ignore them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #65 bk109, Jan 5, 2013
    Which brings me back to my original sentiment - the OP should just admit he's waaaay out of his depth and just go pay someone to fix his rig. That way he'll stimulate the economy (or at the very least help someone earn enough beer money) and the end result will be that his machine is working to his specifications and more importantly for the rest of us - this godforsaken thread could finally be closed (if I'm honest - i'm surprised it hadn't been deleted/closed yet,though one can still hope I guess)

You mean the one about deleting all partitions on the Acer? The one that was completely redundant and avoidable?

6. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #66 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    (OP)
    Read the 5920g thread.

If Bios Update doesn't exist for an old specific product and Sata HDD Controller Drivers of an old machine havent been written for an early OS(i.e. Win8) the side-effect method i mentioned works fine without the need of them.

7. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I read the thread and laughed my ass off,because I've had a Aspire 5920G of a friend of mine migrated to Win8 and it took me 3 hours and that's counting the multiple games of FIFA13 I played with him while Setup was doing its thing,so pardon my french,but the whole thread was a waste of pixels and bytes. Hell,reading the current abomination,I'm half-inclined to come over to Thessaloniki and fix your rig myself just to end this all,but if I'm honest - if I never go to Greece again,it'll be too soon

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop insulting others, or i will report. Stick to forum rules.

9. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
  10. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #70 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    (OP)

If Bios Update doesn't exist for an old specific product and Sata HDD Controller Drivers of an old machine havent been written for an early OS(i.e. Win8) the side-effect method i mentioned works fine without the need of them.

I never said it was an issue for the Acer Aspire's 5920g(Bios Update or external driver loading works for that model)
    but
    it can be usefull to install Win8 in other older machines by using previous OSes to identify the HDD info which current OSes(call me Win8 Pro) cannot
    properly identify, due to innovating hi-tech reasoning of dealing the earliest hardware, thus leaving the old hardware un-identified.

Come to Greece, i'll buy tou OUZO that will help clear your thoughts and hassle i may caused to you.
    Also, even if you were to fix my rig, i wouldnt stop asking you what you were doing each moment and i would still have insisted of addressing any whims i had as a way of solving things.

11. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #71 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    (OP)
  12. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't know that back then(2 days ago) that i couln't had such a partition layout with UEFI.
    I didn't even knew then, that such a thing like UEFI OS etup existed.
    I wiped the disc clean and performed the partition layout i was accustomed to years now with Vista-Seven.

Now(with the info you guys provided) i understand that such think can't co-exist with UEFI.
    But it's too late, recovery images are lost, no Recovery DVDs at hand, and still no UEFI Setup option in Boot Selection.

13. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #73 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    (OP)
    Try and look the Glass of water from the half-way full perspective.

===============================
    Also i just tried Scenario A: Result: Failed

That was:

Scenario A:
    -----------
    Format my USB Key as FAT32(using Win8's embedded format)
    Copy Win8 install files(from MSDN .ISO -vymdral link - so to exclude the mess that my modfified ISO might bring up) on it the normal copy/paste way using File Explorer
    Re-Boot and press <F12> to check if an UEFI Setup Option is present

STILL, NO UEFI SETUP OPTION IN MY LENOVO'S BOOT SELETION.

Need an answer as to WHY this just happened.
    =================================

I tried something the Docs-links said. Why the option isn't present for me?

14. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Tell me what i'am doing wrong then.

15. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #75 chris34, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    only you know what the heck you did to be able to boot live CD with Gparted on a laptop that had secure boot enabled along with UEFI only boot option.. so go in your bios/uefi and load the default optimized settings. save, reset your laptop. Now, if the original files copied on a fat32 formated USB key (default cluster size) are all there when you hit F8 during the boot post of the bios/uefi, you should see a menu with your USB key listed twice one has UEFI: in front. It's the one you need to select. during the install you delete all the partitions and you let windows create and format the disk itself. DO NOT try to partition the drive yourself or you'll end up driving Windows 8 install crazy, your laptop will grow legs and it'll run drown itself in the Mediterranean sea.

If all that does not work, you're lying and you try to install Windows 8 in UEFI on a laptop that doesn't have an UEFI bios... in one of your trial-fail-drive people crazy attempt.

16. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #76 NikosGr, Jan 6, 2013
    (OP)
  17. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012

I did (Optimized defaults for Win8 x64) - (thats how my Bios mentioned the default optimized settings)
    UEFI settings after deafults are:

Boot Mode: UEFI,
    Boot Priority: UEFI also

I did that as you can see, so stop implying that i don't follow your advise, especially when you post specific information opposed to just give links(which i also started reading from yesterday).

18. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
  19. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #80 NikosGr, Jan 6, 2013
    (OP)

i dont understand the phrase:

"Of course, you wiped it with GParted, since you nuked the EFI partition!!!"

We have UEFI terms and now EFI terms. I also don't know what "nuke" mean.
    I dont know what EFI, hence i cannot know what's the difference of these two, so, i cannot understand why i still get no uefi boot option.
    Also i do not know what GPT is, how that differs from MBR, why i cannot have partitions the way i was used to in addition of Windows need its own partinionign layout and and and.....

---------------------------
    If you really want to help me, you must:

Tell me WHAT to do (by giving specific commands-instructions), which you must also explain why they need to be performed, in a faschion like mine in previous posts

1) Give this command - (because of "this" detailed reason)
    2) Give that command - (because of "that "detailed reason)
    3) And so on ..... same way

Sometimes even reading Docs, i'am still getting confused, because the terminology of the Docs uses some terms which i need to comprehend if i'am to understand the link i was directed to. Also, English not being my native language increases the difficulty as well (phrases and words, like "fix your rig", "nuked partition").

I beleive this is the ONLY way i can CORRECT the mess i have and also UNDERSTAND what's happening during the proccess.
    If you are bothered doing so, don't reply to me any more and let someone else give me directions in a more polite & patient way.
    I will understand finally, because i have some basic knowledge on the matter, and i'am not entirely clueless.