UEFI firmware associated with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    1. Boot Setup
    2. Choose Custom Install
    3. Remove all Partitions
    4. Click "New"
    5. If you see no EFI Partition(System) created but only System Reserved and Windows, you did not boot in EFI mode.
      You Failed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #82 chris34, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    if you managed to boot the windows 8 install in UEFI but still can't manage to install in UEFI you might have messed with your partitions or disk when you nuked everything with Gparted...

When you're at the first screen of the Windows 8 install, hit SHIFT+F10 then type Diskpart. In disk part you do "List disk" that should show something like this (this is an example):
    then type "Select disk 0" (or whatever number has the hdd you will install W8 on) to select the disk.

once the disk is selected you type "clean" then exit diskpart and the command prompt.

continue with the Windows 8 install until the partition/disk creation menu. Once you're there select the whole disk you used the "clean" command on with diskpart and click "next"/"whatever" and let widnows convert your disk in GPT andcreate all the partition for you. When the install is finished, you go in the "disk management" of Widnows 8, right click on the partition windows 8 is installed and select "Shrink volume" to shrink it and create a new partition for your mp3/data/whatever. That's it you're done... and you could have done that last part the day you got your laptop without nuking all the partitions that had the recovery image and all the OEM recovery stuff.

when you say nuked your partition, we mean you destroyed everything. Were here to help you, if you want to learn more and you want more detailed info about what the command we tell you do use do, you should read up about that command yourself. A simple reading/understanding of what the command do will tell you why we ask you to use it. If you have this much of a problem to understand what people tell you when you ask for help on an English speaking forum, it would be better for you to seek for help on a Greek, or any other language you can understand easily, forum.

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Thats completly unnecessary, you can "clean" within the Install GUI by simply removing all partitions, it does the exact same thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Reading the Post's of the OP, it doesn't matter what advice you give because he would either not read the advice or ignore it.

5. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Always thought the disk utility during the install destroyed the partitions but didn't destroy the MBR/GPT format. and since he used Gparted to nuke everything figured the good old diskpart clean command would be better to turn his disk back to a blank/neutral state before the install.

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It's working exactly like DiskPart, it's basicly a GUI for Diskpart, it just doesnt offer as much as functionality as going straight into diskpart.

7. bolthead

bolthead MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2007
    Are you saying you can't bring up the boot selection menu or that you don't see any UEFI options?

8. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I got the howtos, you know that howtos, tou can explain the howtos.
    Who's being lazy now?
    I told you why i'am having trouble following even the docs/links.

Not having ALL required information to solve an issue != being stupid.
    Having ALL the required information to solve an issue & still cant = not being able to think logical and associate information = certainly not clever

I pertain to the 1st case.

IF I DO IT step-by-step properly the problem will be solved, but i will never know HOW it got solved and WHY i had experienced this issue.

======================
    I won't argue with you any ore. This will be the last reply you receive from me because we clearly have a communiation problem.
    ======================

9. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    yes, better you stop asking for help all together. You contradicted yourself so many times already in this thread and you again did it in this last post. You want people to give you how to step by step guides but then you say you don't follow them because you feel that you won't understand why the problem got solved... If you were paying attention to what you do when following a step-by-step guide, following those steps would give you some understanding why the problem got solved. If you want to learn, stop your trial fail ask people. just follow the steps you find on the internet, pay more attention to what you do and do the extra effort yourself to understand what the commands you use do. Again, it's only you and you who has to make the extra effort to understand how things works when somebody give you a step-by-step guide to fix a problem not the way around. Only ask for more help when the solution didn't work. That's simple common sense and politeness. If you want to know if there are any other ways to do the same thing, ask if there are any other ways to do the same thing. Don't tell people "it didn't work" or some other bs.

10. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Braaaaains.

What? If you do it step-by-step you will not find out what you did wrong? WHAT? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Is your IQ that of a newborn? Did you even think twice about what you wrote? This is beyond stupid.

11. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    the latter.
    Pressing <F12> present ALL available Booting options except UEFI Setup options, thus i dont know if my Win8 USB Key Setup

a) Work in legacy mode(which i think it is)
    b) Work in UEFI mode although for some reason Boot Selection(<F12>) doesn't display it as such.

================Shenj's idea will tell me that, and iwill try it right now=============

1. Boot Setup
    2. Choose Custom Install
    3. Remove all Partitions
    4. Click "New"
    5. If you see no EFI Partition(System) created but only System Reserved and Windows, you did not boot in EFI mode.
      You Failed.

====================================

a) in (4) What if isntead of clicking "New" i hit "Next" in the 1 TB unallocated space? The partition will be created automatically(in uefi/legacy) or the installer will popup and notify me for the upcoming partition layout?

b) EFI Partition(System)? You mean 1 of the 4 partitions that GPT drives use in UEFI mode must have the name "System"?

c) Doing your way above will help me identify if i'am booting the install in UEFI mode or not. I will destroy my current OS entirely though when i remove partitions and click "New". I want to learn the process without, at the time being, destroy my Win8 Installation.
    Also i ahve no other laptop to try it on.

12. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    I think, the OP wants to know how the cookies got baked, but not to know how to bake a cookie. There's a difference, confusing, and no one could explain it to him. :)

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  14. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
  15. bolthead

bolthead MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2007
    OK, if you have set your UEFI setup to defaults and you are not seeing any UEFI options in your boot menu then you probably have not created the bootable USB key correctly. I believe your laptop has a DVD drive, if so burn to disk the Windows 8 iso that vymrdal pointed you to and try booting from that.

16. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #96 chris34, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    this guy keeps contradicting himself more and more. Don't you have a levoneo laptop and an Acer netbook(your other thread?) or have you been lying to us this whole time about the things you did?

if you forced UEFI boot in the bios, destroyed all the partitions at the meny and clicked next, windows will convert the disk to GPT and make all the partitions itself. you already learned the process since you described it. What else do you want to know? how bits and bytes are written on the disk when you click next?

After if you want to make more partition, the easy way, and for you it's the best, is to let windows use the whole disk then use the shrink option in the disk manager of windows then make more partitions from there. Please stop taking the people who help you for dumb idiots.

it will create everything automatically and copy files on the disk without showing you anything.

17. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I rested to the Iptimized Defaults(Win8 x64) - Lenovo's Bios way of mentioning reset to defaults
    I still see no uefi setup option
    and yes i created the usb key correctly as chris34 pointed to me postd ago, which i called Scenario A:
    Thats was formatting to fat32 via explorer, mounting ths msdn iso vymrdal provded , selected all files and thenc clides send to fat32 usb key.

Still, no uefi setup option.

And NO, i won't boot fro m a dvd.
    I want this to be done via USB Key and ONLY. ( call me Ferrous Cranus now, i don't care)

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As I wrote in two other posts already: This Guy is an Troll! Is at simple as that! Don't understand why this threads are not closed already!

19. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Nikos, please post a picture of your boot options or bios -- take a picture with your nice camera and post it. I don't believe anymore you have a laptop that support UEFI.

20. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Thbe Lenovo Z580 is my laptop.
    The Acer Aspire 5920g is a friend of mine's who wanted to go from Vista => Win8

I never said Acer was my property and also mentined later on that i can't try any more things on that because i gave it away, after got 8 installed on it with the "retarded innovation" method.