UefiSeven: Easily boot Windows 7 on UEFI class 3 devices

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by manatails, Aug 3, 2020.

1. marrhwmdl

marrhwmdl MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    Good evening.

On Intel-based HP 17-by2000 laptop, UefiSeven 1.30 (the latest version I've found until now) allows Win7 boot. I wrote "boot" because I applied a fully updated Win7 installation sysprepped some time ago, only patching the drivers needed to make it work. Obviously, not all drivers can be installed, due to the laptop's design (specifically for Win10 and above, surely NOT BELOW it).

Some of the issues I've found are related to:
    - the secondary, entry-level, muxless AMD Radeon R7 440M GPU: on next boot after installation, it gets the yellow triangle (device stopped due to reported problems; I can live without it, being the Intel graphics more powerful than this crappy one provided by the "new HP marketing practices"! After all, I bought the laptop only because it was the only one available with 17" display at an affordable price and it wasn't needed for hyper-gaming or other power-hungry similar activities - I have my supertower rig, for that :D);
    - the boot process: with /SOS boot parameter, it doesn't display the black screen with Windows version, build and Service Pack, along with the number of processors and the memory available.

Usually, it should resemble like this:
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
    8 System Processors [7992 MB Memory] Multiprocessor Kernel

There's also an issue with the brightness: despite the Fn keys actually change the brightness slider's value in Windows Mobility Center, the eDP monitor brightness does not physically change and stays at its maximum level. This is totally uncomfortable because it makes my eyes burn, and it also uselessly drains the battery more quickly, but I suspect it is more related to the Intel graphics driver than UefiSeven.

2. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
    I do the same thing, but it is not omnipotent for some motherboards.

3. raiderman

raiderman MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    So I have an HP Pro book with a Ryzen 7 pro 5850 with integrated Radeon Gpu. Ive been able to actually install Windows 7 using UefiSeven, but I do not seem to have access to a efi shell. So I tried using hirens boot disk to rename the file, but it is nowhere to be found on the HDD. There is no EFI file folder on the HDD. Am I missing something?

4. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    assign the efi system partition a drive letter by using diskpart
    usually the esp is the first partition of your hard drive so select the first volume of disk 0 (boot disk containing install)
    detailed instructions here

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. raiderman

raiderman MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    Ya, I was able to assign the drive letter and swap the files around, but it still does what everyone else is reporting. It freezes at the Windows flag animation....sigh. A damn shame M$ had to ruin their best OS, IMO.

6. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    did you make sure to swap/add files correctly?
    this is unlikely to solve the problem but some efi systems would boot from the same efi application (such as ezwindslic/windslic where system still boots from bootmgfw.efi but it’s supposed to boot from windslic efi file; only happens on my uefi for some reason) so try booting from bootx64.efi (try different efi options that say windows boot manager or something)
    otherwise, sorry that you got bad luck. if only m$ released windows 7 with modern uefi gop and not ancient video BIOS!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. thetank18

thetank18 MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Is there a way to put UefiSeven in an ISO file?

8. DUT

DUT MDL Novice

May 14, 2020
    That's almost impossible.
    Unless UefiSeven can patch bootmgfw.efi like Flashbootpro, instead of creating as a separate a file.

9. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    It is actually possible if you somehow put it into extracted ISO and put uefiseven bootx64.efi and install.wim
    (but how can it be done?)

10. thetank18

thetank18 MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2019
    #372 thetank18, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    There's no EFI\Boot folder.
    Edit: Use GPT instead of MBR in Rufus to fix this.

11. lol2039

lol2039 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2018
    what did you do to get it working? have tried UEFISeven on my HP Omen 25L (Ryzen 5 5600G, B550) and it restarts after loading disk.sys.

12. raiderman

raiderman MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    Disk.sys is Microsofts generic storage driver. Are you using a non modified windows 7 install disk without integrated USB, NVME drivers? Windows 7 should install great on your specs. Ive had it running on an X570 MSI, and a Ryzen 3900x

13. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    i think lol2039 loaded into safe mode (probably because normal mode failed) and then it BSODs (in UEFI GOP, a red bar) but he couldn't see it
    it's either inaccessible_boot_device or a non-acpi compliant bsod
    if it's simply stuck on "starting windows" or safe mode file load (disk.sys is the final load) then it doesn't crash but doesn't have the vga driver output

14. DUT

DUT MDL Novice

May 14, 2020
    UefiSeven is useless in your PC。
    You can set verbose=1 in UefiSeven.ini, then you can see [Unable to find a way to unlock memory at C0000 & Unable to unlock VGA ROM memory at C0000].
    For AMD, you must set CSM enabled and have a BIOS that fully supports ACPI.
    If the above conditions are not met, you can only consider acquiring HP.

15. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I cant make that file for you now. But XP2ESD already contain dynamic ACPI patch for Windows 7.