UefiSeven: Easily boot Windows 7 on UEFI class 3 devices

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by manatails, Aug 3, 2020.

1. andreidi

andreidi MDL Novice

May 24, 2020
    That's right, but for other integrated intel video devices there might be other drivers out there that can be modded or adapted, for older hardware you mostly have official win7 drivers, then ati and nvidia still have drivers for win7. So mostly there is an approach.

2. asasadad_1

asasadad_1 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2011
    UefiSeven 1.23t works here, 1.21,1.22 frozen.

3. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    #63 polygaryd, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    uefiseven got me past the windows logo and into the installer! BUT then even though I slipstreamed the usb 3 drivers I couldnt use my keyboard or mouse so I had to hard shutdown. I'm not sure if it was frozen or if it has to do with usb or what?

I only have one usb port and its usb 3 so I have a usb 3 hub attached and thats how my keyboard is hooked up as well as how I'm booting to the win 7 usb install drive which is a usb 2.0 drive in a usb 3.0 port. So I'm not sure whats going on. I'm going to try this windows 7 install on a usb 3.0 drive to see if its a usb issue or whats going on now. In the meantime if anyone has any ideas as to what could be happening please let me know.

4. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    Did 1.23t work for you?

For the USB try slipstreaming the chipset drivers as well, or it could be that you have slipstreamed drivers that are not compatible with your hardware

5. mbc004

mbc004 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2020
    It's a USB issue, I've had the exact same behavior before I added the correct driver. Also on my Vostro only half of USB ports worked with the USB driver slipstreamed, I had to add chipset drivers to make the rest work.

My way of doing this is to boot into linux, run lspci -nn which lists all PCI devices and go hunting for drivers by VID : PID numbers... Probably there is a simpler way of doing this?

6. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    I definitely slipstreamed the intel usb 3 driver (which this system uses confirmed by device manager in windows 10), VIA usb3 driver and sony's usb 3 driver. So I covered the most well know usb 3 drivers. I know that it works on other systems with only usb 3 ports on a usb 3 flash drive. I know the iso and slipstreamed driver for at least usb 3 is good.

I will slipstream the chipset drivers onto the usb iso and test that but thats pretty odd to have to have chipset drivers or even the ahci/ide/raid controller drivers immediately from the windows install screen. Usually you get a few screens in and it asks for the ahci controller drivers if they arnt native and cant use the default driver in the iso.

7. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    OK so I slipstreamed another intel usb3 driver for my specific c216 series 7 chipset, the specific c216/series 7 chipset drivers, as well as the graphics and audio drivers. I cannot get past the install screen freezing up. I've tried different keyboards as well. Anything I could be missing here? some other drivers i need to slipstream maybe??? So close yet so far away and so frustrating!

8. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    Have you tried this generic xhci driver?
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/usb-3-xhci-driver-stack-for-windows-7-vista.81934/

9. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
  10. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    I suppose it is better to remove them.

11. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    I thought the same when I read it.

12. alex_omsk

alex_omsk MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2020
    #77 alex_omsk, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Just share here my experience. I try to install Windows 7 in AMD ryzen3550h and rx560x.

UefiSeven freeze on logo screen after boot from USB.

If I use install.wim from Windows 8/10 I get complete install but it freeze at the first start of Windows.

I try to add graphic drivers (there are drivers for windws 7 on amd site) into image but it still doesn't work.

13. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    I removed all other USB 3 drivers and slipstreamed this generic one for windows 7 and it has the same behavior. Gets to the first install screen where you select language and freezes or is unresponsive due to not being able to have a keyboard or mouse. The fan doesn't go full blast like it does when it normally freezes say like loading windows 7 without uefiseven 1.23t.I also recall when i needed to have usb3 drivers installed it would allow me past the first screen to select the correct driver on another system. So I'm thinking this is caused by something else.

I'm out of ideas here except possibly trying to install windows 7 to a USB drive that has had the "bit flipped" and is now recognized not as a removable device like when you're creating a windows to go usb drive. If I'm able to install to the modified USB device it should work in MBR and legacy mode since windows 7 can be installed without issue in legacy mode with the msata in MBR.

This way I can get all the correct drivers I need and slipstream them into the uefi usb. Id love to do this process on my msata and then change the msata over to gpt with a program like paragon hard disk manager or something like that and have a fully functional windows 7 after installing uefiseven 1.23t but I have all these other os'es on this device with a ton of personal data that I cant afford to lose or take the time to restore if I wiped the drive. This is frustrating for sure because I know for a fact windows 7 works on this machine perfectly in legacy mode. So why not in uefi with uefiseven now that it gets to the install screen?

14. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014