UefiSeven: Easily boot Windows 7 on UEFI class 3 devices

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by manatails, Aug 3, 2020.

1. andreidi

andreidi MDL Novice

May 24, 2020
    Oh yes, forgot about that. Thanks for noticing.

2. useru

useru MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2012
    Actually efisys.bin is a floppy image, compare UEFI specification.
    UEFI DVD boot reads this floppy image.

Creae Windows 7 installation DVD:

extract Windows 7 ISO to C:\Win7
    mount C:\Win7\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin at imdisk as a floppy to a:\
    Rename bootx64.efi at A:\EFI\Boot\ to BOOTX64.ORIGINAL.EFI
    Unpack bootx64.efi from UefiSeven archive and copy it to A:\EFI\Boot\BOOTX64.EFI
    (Optional) Copy UefiSeven.verbose to the same directory to enable verbose mode
    unmount a:\

Imdisk www ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

oscdimg.exe -m -o -u2 -udfver102 -lWIN7 -bootdata:2#p0,e,b"C:\Win7\boot\etfsboot.com"#pEF,e,b"C:\Win7\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin" "C:\Win7" "C:\ISO\CustomWin7Image.iso"

DVD boot does load BOOTX64.EFI, UefiSeven.verbose is found and BOOTX64.ORIGINAL.EFI is loaded, boot.wim loaded
    But freezes at Vmware Player 15: 'Starting Windows', (UEFI with GOP support)

3. andreidi

andreidi MDL Novice

May 24, 2020
    Sorry wrong topic.

4. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    Big news. I have gotten windows 7 in uefi on my acer w700 after all the massive headache. How did I do it? Well I'm glad you asked. this is how the story goes

I used the second w700 acer as a test bed and first I tried the iso integrate7 creates and that failed the same as before as noted above.
    I tried creating my own integration by taking the windows 10 enterprise boot.wim and putting in place of the windows 7 enterprise one. this also didnt work, infact for some reason it worked less than the last time i did the same thing with the same iso's on my w700. not sure what happened there but after those two failed attempts I formatted the drive and put it in mbr, changed the bios to mbr put my My Windows 7 x64 enterprise iso onto a flash drive using windows 7 download tool and tried to boot that up. It failed asking for drivers immediately again same as in uefi when I tried before as noted earlier in this thread. So I downloaded a new windows 7 iso from Microsoft. installed it in mbr with no issues i just turned off usb3 support and away i went.

Since that worked I thought why not give integrate7 a try again thinking it was my iso at fault not integrate7 and well it still didnt work failing the same way again. yes i changed the drive back to gpt and uefi in the bios.

So then i thought well ok I'm going to install windows 7 in mbr and download all the proper drivers for it by ven/dev id and save them to inject later if needed. I got all the drivers installed and everything working in mbr mode. I copied the drivers to a usb drive and cloned the windows7 partition to another external drive just in case my next test didnt work. BUT IT DID!!!!!!!!!!!.

I booted up my windows 8 to go usb, installed paragon hdd manager, converted the ssd to gpt with windows still on it, formatted the 100mb system partition to fat32, started up cmd, went into diskpart selected the ssd and the 100mb system partition, set the partition id type to the efi id, exited diskpart, typed bcdboot (drive letter where windows 7 is installed to):\windows, hit enter and let that do its thing, went back into diskpart selected the sdd and then the 100mb system partition again, assigned a letter to the100mb system partition, exited diskpart, copied over uefiseven and followed his instructions on how to set it up properly. Rebooted and went into the bios and changed to uefi with secure boot off, booted and viola windows 7 with all drivers installed in uefi working perfectly.

it doesnt end there though. I now copied the cloned windows 7 partition to my w700, did the bcdboot thing again after changing my first efi partition id to a normal data partition id and then setting my 2nd efi partition to the efi partition id (so it doesnt overwrite my windows 10 efi settings which is actually clover for win10 mac osx 10.11 and ubuntu 16.04lts) I copied uefiseven and installed it per the instructions given in this thread. It booted and had some serious garbled screen which I encountered from the original cloned uefi windows 7 install I took of my rog g750jw. I was perplexed at it not working now knowing it in fact works on the same machine IN UEFI so i waited and the computer rebooted, unlike the last time this happened i actually tried to boot it again and it showed up with garbled text again but as i was about to power it down in pure disgust of the persistent failure to get windows 7 on my machine and it went to desktop. I am typing this from windows 7 in uefi on my acer w700 right now :)

Maybe this will help someone else trying to do this.

now I'm off to clone my windows 7 in uefi from my rog again and inject the drivers from windows 10 to the windows 7 offline install to see if it will in fact work and know that if I had tried to boot it again after the garbled video and subsequent reboot I would have had windows 7 on my computer as soon as manatalis changed uefiseven to work for my int10h memory area. this will also save me 7 hours worth of setup of all my customizations and programs installed etc if it does work. if not, oh well at least i can get it running as a pretty fresh install and just spend the time to customize it and install what i need to.

5. lordcorvin

lordcorvin MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    #167 lordcorvin, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Nice, I'm gonna test it out on Acer Nitro 5 an515-42, it has ryzen processor so should be a good test.
    The BIOS is s**tty locked down InsydeBIOS that is UEFI only

Update: Windows 7 Installer stops loading at AHCIx64s.sys driver. Anyone has any idea why? Can I just remove it and try loading again?

Update 2: Removing AHCIx64s.sys causes the system to hang at amdlog.sys

Update3: It now hangs on disk.sys : (

6. hansk

hansk MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2011
    #168 hansk, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    @polygaryd

I am on the same boat. I tried to install Windows 7 and was greeted with a non working mouse and keyboard. I also used alternative method by injecting graphics drivers and disabling vga.sys/vgapnp.sys and had exactly the same problem with the USB mouse and keyboard.
    BIOS in my configuration also has a legacy mode, so I used it for 3rd and successful installation.
    After some gymnastics and using Ubuntu Live to move different drivers to the Windows folder I found the culprit. In my case it's Intel Q170 vPRO chipset, for which Windows 7 USB installation disk has no drivers. On Intel's website they are only available for Windows 10. I found some old drivers for Windows 7x64 on ASRock's website. Unfortunately these are .exe and not .inf. It's not easy to integrate them on a USB stick.

www asrock com/mb/Intel/Q170M vPro/index.asp#Download
    INF driver ver:10.1.1.38
    Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:5.0.0.32

I'm curious if they stopped offering drivers in Windows7 64bit version for your chipset too.

7. lordcorvin

lordcorvin MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Alright Nitro 5 doesn't boot at all with Win 7 installed. I believe it's due to how gimped the BIOS is. Even hidden (Manufacture) version has nothing extra and just crashes if you try to save the BIOS settings.
    Even fully compliant Ubuntu has issues on this laptop. Next time I'm buying Lenovo

8. andreidi

andreidi MDL Novice

May 24, 2020
    Check ryzen modified drivers section on winraid.

9. justintime20

justintime20 MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2018
    I'm confused how to complete steps 7 and 8. Could someone explain in more detail?

10. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    Id try and extract the exe to a folder with winrar. A lot of times the exe file is a compressed zip or whatever turned into a self extraxting file. I have used this method plenty of times in life and even a few times during this windows 7 class 3 uefi fiasco.

Btw My chipset has drivers from intel for it. I just needed to find the proper ones for it even though they were supposed to work I couldn't confirm any of them worked till I had windows 7 in mbr / legacy on the other identical machine and knew for sure they worked. I fact different versions of the chipset drivers wouldnt work. I hosed the install twice just trying to update the chipset drivers while having working ones installed to start with. So it was very finicky to say the least. The same drivers in mbr/legacy worked in uefi/gpt btw.

I also did end up getting my fully setup version of win 7 enterprise off my old rog working on my w700 in uefi. It was another fiasco but a challenge I wanted to win. I had the fully functional vanilla uefi windows 7 version cloned to an external hdd so i figured why not try to get my old rog install working and then I dont have to reinstall all my stuff saving me a ton of time.
    I had to first Uninstall the 3rd party drivers with dism. Then inject the new ones with dism. Knowing that they are the correct drivers i assumed it would work the same way and it booted to login screen but no keyboard and mouse. I turned off USB 3 in bios and tried again and it let me right in. I knew i had the proper usb3 drivers so i was like wth is going on. Turns out that if i waited a bit the touch on screen keyboard was accessable and i could log in. Get into device manager and see that the usb 2 and usb 3 hub was not functioning. Fixed that with letting windows search for proper drivers and it found them and it worked from then on.

11. dsanke

dsanke MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2016
    #173 dsanke, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Amazing work! You are awesome!!!

Tested with Z170/9900K/RX580/UHD630 :
    1. No discrete graphic , only UHD630 , no problem with setup & oobe , first boot to desktop , graphic driver installation and safe mode.
    But when uninstalling driver , it run into black screen and can not resume, keyboard works, it can only resume by a reboot.
    2. My AMD RX 580 4GB can not work with UEFISeven now.
    After installed graphic driver for UHD630 , than switch to RX 580 ( Whatever UHD 630 was disabled or enabled.), it was stucked at Windows Logo. I can't enter safe mode too. But after uninstall graphic driver for UHD630 , the RX580 can boot into desktop( Whatever UHD 630 was disabled or enabled.). And then , after install driver for RX 580 , it stucked at Windows logo when UHD 630 was disabled . However , when UHD630 was enabled but monitor only connect to RX580 , it can boot into desktop with system resolution forced at 1024*768 , and device manager show RX580's driver was working fine. But windows said the monitor is connect into generic VGA device , not RX580, the resolution is unadjustable.
    3. UHD 630 was not affected by the driver of RX580.

And my friend's 3950X+B550+5700XT always stucked at Windows Logo whatever graphic driver is installed or not , and UEFISeven show yellow texts
    Unable to find a way to unlock memory at C0000. Proceeding without unlocking...
    Unable to unlock VGA ROM memory at C0000, aborting.

12. Wong Ting Lun

Wong Ting Lun MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2020
    All EFI-base AMD graphic device(RX400/500, Vega, RX5000) have similar problem.

13. Han98

Han98 MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    Does this work on Surface Devices?

14. anthonygg37

anthonygg37 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2020
    I don't understand step 2. ?!

Should I copy bootx64.efi to (HDD)\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ ?
    And after rename it bootmgfw.efi ?

What do you means by using EFI shel ?
    Can I do it simply by plug my HDD to another coputer and edit EFI sessin with a software ?

15. Poppoporrorororo

Poppoporrorororo MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2020
    I have an ASUS X509 FB laptop.
    When I try to boot into Windows installation with UefiSeven it freezes with the color dots freezed, when i do the initial setup from setup.exe ran from Windows 10, and then, when I boot into the initial installed Windows 7 it still freezes with the color dots, and when I try to boot into safe mode it freezes at disk.sys with a red bar in the display.
    What should I do now?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rosario

16. Wong Ting Lun

Wong Ting Lun MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2020
    Maybe you can try SMXDIY Win7 ACPI 5.0+ Patch, it will include SMXDIY Patched Win7 ISO soon. DISM++ can dump it.

17. the_soft45

the_soft45 MDL Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Going a bit off topic, but I have to ask. Someone made an ACPI 5.0 patch for Windows 7? I tried searching, but found nothing.

18. Poppoporrorororo

Poppoporrorororo MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2020
    Where can I find it?