Unable to boot from USB with some usb sticks

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bobmanuk, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    #1 bobmanuk, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    Hi All,

I have a Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P and im sure as hell ive had it booting via USB before with not much needing to be changed in the bios but now as i try to boot with USB i get just past the post screen where it would normally start to load the OS and it stops.

there is no obvious error, the last line says "PP" and the second P is highlighted in pink, no keyboard response... everything is stuck.

as far as im aware the bios is up to date, it says ga-m68m-s2p F5 at the top of the screen when it loads and i presume that F5 is the latest bios for it... its the latest that gigabytes software will let me have at any rate.

I have tried most of my usb sticks and they all do something similar, some boot to linux and work ok but then disappear causing the installer to show bad blocks... etc, try to put windows on the same stick and i get the above PP issue. Even various permutations of windows/linux on different sticks seem to produce one or either of the above issues.

so my question is, has anyone else had this issue or know a way to start debugging?

if you want the specs:

EDIT --
    AMD Phenom x3 (8850B 2.5GHz)
    4gb generic ram

if you want to know anything else please let me know.

thanks,

Bob

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Write zeros to the usb stick or card, then let the installer install what ever to it.

Then boot and press button to get boot menu, and pick hard disks, and then pick the one with the usb disk.

All usb sticks or cards should work, some take more work to get going.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i had a problem once with GA-G31M-ES2L rev 9 bios that would not boot from front ports but would boot from rear..they fixed in version 10.

the pink lines tells me that likely a bad memory stick or ram on motherboard is going bad.

4. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    as far as im aware the USB stick is brand new, but i am low level wiping it now, it would be the first time ive ever needed to low level wipe a drive but hey, first time for everything lol

I did try booting from both front side and rear usb ports and same difference on both, it may be a memory thing, as it also happens on other USB drives and micro/SD card readers too, but i havent noticed any other issues related to memory with XP, 7, 8 or linux which ive run on this pc in the past, only random issues with network devices disappearing when playing games... but thats for a different post o_O

5. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    May be bad caps in the PSU, if not on the motherboard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...