Unable to open excel files by double clicking in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chellan001, Mar 31, 2009.

1. chellan001

chellan001 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi all,

I have a notebook with Windows Vista Business and Office 2007, my problem is I can not open any xlsx files by double clicking on them but no problem with xls(office 2003 format) files. Currently I am opening xlsx flies from within a blank excel sheet and it loses a lot of time at my work as i can not open them straight from an email attachment or so. I tried many tricks but all in vain to fix it. Any suggestions please!!

Thanks in advance.
    :)

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ chellan001, right click on an xlsx file and select properties in the general tab you will see Opens with: and next to that Change select change then select excel you may need to browse for it . also make sure you tick Allways use selected program for this type of file.

3. chellan001

chellan001 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks for your attention urie.

As you suggested, I had already tried this open-with thing doubting if xlsx is wrongly associated with some other applications. I also tried another stuff that, from the office button in excel 2007, In the General section, check/uncheck (tried both) the 'Ignore Other Applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)', with an information from another source..but still it is not working, and the weird things xls is simply OK. I even re-installed the office 2 times but no result.

:confused::confused:

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Details

The possibilities are legion and I cannot begin to anticipate all encompassing solutions.

For openers, try re-registering the files: START>RUN> type: excel /regserver>OK; as part of a diagnostic regimen, you could install the MS Compatibility Pack.

Otherwise, details are essential, if only to save one posting a solution and having you posting back "Oh, I did that already."

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...