Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. rodknock95

rodknock95 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    yeah, I dont know what im doing wrong

2. rodknock95

rodknock95 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    It just gives me a 363FF13_SLIC.FD file

3. whoareyouxda

whoareyouxda MDL Member

May 4, 2011
    You dont click go, just open the file and go to the directory where the original .fd is, with the tool still open, having not clicked anything other than opening the bios, there should be a file called "363FF12.FD.DEC" and "RSA.SIG" (rsa only if the bios is RSA signed, which it probably is if its an HP) , rename the .DEC to "363F.bin" and RSA.bin to "363F.SIG", put them in the HP_TOOLS/BIOS/current and previous directorys, boot the pc holding Win+B and it should boot into hp bios recovery mode.

4. rodknock95

rodknock95 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    Ok, I start phoneixtool, then select the FD file with the tool. Because the second I open it with the tool it does some processing and makes those two bios0.bios and bios5.bios files in the directory where the fd file is?

5. whoareyouxda

whoareyouxda MDL Member

May 4, 2011
    if its not producing an RSA.SIG then your bios isnt signed, just move the .DEC but renamed to .bin or .fd to the current and previous folders of your HP_TOOLS/BIOS directory

6. rodknock95

rodknock95 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    Its not producing the .DEC file either, just those two BIOS0.BIOS and BIOS5.BIOS files. If I then go ahead and select the manufacterer and the slic info, it produces the one 363FF12_SLIC.FD file.

7. whoareyouxda

whoareyouxda MDL Member

May 4, 2011
    Then you may not need to even run pheonix mod tool, just copy your original 363F.FD to HP_TOOLS/BIOS previous and current and try i that way, you may need to rename it to .bin though

8. rodknock95

rodknock95 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    I have done that also. It definitely acts like it is reading it, but then just sits there. If I use the file with fd extension, it beeps twice then reboots and sits there. If I use the extension BIN, it beeps about 5 times and then beeps every 5 seconds for a good minute, the whole time reading the usb, but then it stops reading the usb and then just sits there, idling, so to speak.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    have u tried different version bios ?

10. rodknock95

rodknock95 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    Yes, they all do the same thing. If I use a different file name, it beeps once, shuts off, turns back on and sits there, if I name it 363F.BIN, it tries to read it, but then just sits there, UGH!

11. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Need some help from experts like you guys...

I understand 80% of this guide except I do not understand nor know what to name the BIOS file to flash my
    Gateway NV51B19u.. :( If anyone can please help me understand or help me figure out what to re-name the bios files
    so it works... I can tell the flashing procedure works and is trying to work, I'm just not naming the file correctly. I think thats what I'm doing wrong cuz everything happens except the reboot

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    err file is P5Wx6X64.fd from DOS
    for windows its P5Wx6118.fd
    for NV51B

13. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    If you could quickly just show a little mercy and explain how exactly I need to download that BIOS, and then how it shouild look when I click on the USB drive before I go and inset it again into the gateway from here. Never messing with BIOS again......

14. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    I tried it exactly the way you said. Nothin yet. I haven't tried the BIOS.FD one yet. I'm in the process of trying it on Fat16 kilobyte format and fat32 (default) format. Maybe its because the formats been wrong. All I know right now is the actual process is working and its reading the usb card. Just gotta get the file named, formated, and positioned right. I went on BIOS.com and offered a reward to anyone that can come up with it through PAYPAL!! :bananajoj2:

@LatinMCG: Yeah, thank you. Thats the spot I got the BIOS file from on the Gateway site. I downloaded that file you had on mediafire. Is it the same one off the Gateway page? Well now I'm gonna try the BIOS.FD thing. Thanks brotha, that reward is all yours to if I get it workin. ;) LOL

15. triggaz

triggaz MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2013
    I really need Your help guys... I flashed bad bios on Lenovo Y580 with win8 x64, my backup is attached but I can't make this model to flash by recovey (Fn+b)...

16. BPaul

BPaul MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2013
    How I recover my BIOS on eMachines E640
    (Same for E440, E442, E640G, E642 other same models dont know)
    1. Found original name: BIOS.fd
    2. Tried a lot USB Flash disk's but no work. You can not try.
    3. Took a simple SD card. Transcend 1GB. Formatted to FAT file system. Copied BOOT.fd
    4. Turned off laptop
    5. Disconnected all USB devices, pulled SD card, disconnect AC cable and pulled battery.
    6. Pressed on Fn+Esc and hold then connected AC adapter and still hold Fn+Esc. Turned on laptop by power button and after 20 sec. I release Fn+Esc.
    7. On notebook now start blink HDD led.
    8. After 3 min. I disconnected AC cable and pulled SD card.
    9. Installed battery back and tried start laptop.
    10. Done my BIOS reflashed:biggrin:

17. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    I'm gonna try your method right now. Where did you dind out what to name the file or that it needed be named BIOS.fd? Anyways, I'm gonna try it with a 1gb sd card. like you said. You help the fn+esc for 20 seconds. I haven't tried holding it that long. It didn't reboot on its own? huh, I"m gonna try it. I will pay $ to anyone that can help me get this right! Can't find that "Andy's tool" that's in this MDL forum, everywhere its saved has been erased. Thats what I need to find, tels you exactly what your file name has to be. PLEASE WORK SD CARD!

18. BPaul

BPaul MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2013
    I unpacked my original bios with PhoenixTool aka andy's tool
    Go to. ../DUMP directory
    Found 3D17205B-4C49-47E2-8157-864CD3D80DBD_1_734. on other models this file different but try search
    Opened this file with HEX editor and look
    I found here
    View attachment 20915
    Then renamed and put on SD card.
    View attachment 20917
    Dont reboot.

19. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Dude, I have no idea whats going on with what you said in your last message. I know how to unpack files but after that i was lost... I have no clue how to do what your talking about. BIOS / DOS is something I don't know jack about. I'll attach the BIOS file that I need the name changed for, maybe someone can help me with this procedure BPaul is talking about...:confused:
    I tried to upload the file on here, wouldn't let me. My laptops a gateway NV51B19U. It won't let me post the link either.. jeeezz... To find the file just go to Gateway.com, notebooks, NV51B19U, drivers and downloads, BIOS, the file is the bottom one 1.04.