Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. fbifido

fbifido MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
  2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    D2= ddr2
    d3 = ddr3

3. Hwrg

Hwrg MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Hello guys

I have one Asrock Motherboard OEM Modified (DTA-H61), and this give me recovery filenames: DTA-H61*.*AS629.ROM
    If i post on mod request and ppl mod this (any slic), how to do the flash?

Because in the instant flash, with extracted bios with ami tools, i test with DTA-h61, DTAh61, put numbers in front, change the extension to .ROM, and nothing. don't recognize.

Edit.: using aptio (ami) and flash bios (same, but with slic), and all good now.

4. tukidoman

tukidoman MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2013
    hi guys i have this toshiba satellite L775-s7226 and the bios got briked i was wondering if you knew how to unbrick it thanks in advance

5. RockyJr

RockyJr MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2013
    Hi. I have Acer Aspire 4745G.

My laptop was open that time when I accidentally tripped over the power cord. It automatically shut down. After few hours, i opened my laptop and what it does is:

1. Power on + Fan rotating + CD-ROM motor is working (no Cd inside)
    2. After 10 secs, it will shutdown and powers on again.
    3. Repeats steps 1&2 over and over again.

I've read a lot of forums suggesting that the problem is the BIOS. Since I've tried my memory and HDD with another laptop and it's working.

I also read the service guide manual of acer aspire 4745G about how to flash bios.

I downloaded the BIOS file from acer, extracted it and i got two folders, one is DOS and one is WINDOWS. Based on my readings, if i want to flash a BIOS, i should use the DOS file which is the only file inside the folder (i.e. ZQ1_125.exe), 1.25 newest version of BIOS for my laptop.

However, after trying several steps such as

A.
    1. Format a flash drive (FAT32)
    2. renaming it to ZQ1_125.exe to ZQ1x64.fd
    3. Copy it into the flash drive.
    4. Plug it in my laptop
    5. Hold Fn + Esc button, press power button.
    6. After 15 minutes, nothing happened. I've tried this 4 times.

B.
    1. Same as step 1 above
    2. Changed file name into JAL90x64.fd as mentioned in the service guide
    3. Same as steps 3, 4, 5, &6.

C.

1. Same as step 1 above
    2. Used WINCRIS.exe. However, there's no other file in my DOS folder (BIOS.WPH), so I deleted BIOS.WPH and replaced it with my bios one at a time (ZQ1_125.exe , ZQ1x64.fd , JAL90x64.fd). Other files inside the flash drive along with it are minidos and phstash (something like that)
    3. Same as 3, 4, 5, &6.

Please help me as i've been doing all the same for about 2 weeks.

Thanks for your fast reply

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    reinsert memory sticks.. bad connection ?

try external monitor.
    if no video = reflow video chip ( goto youtube and find steps)

7. RockyJr

RockyJr MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2013
    I already reinserted my memory sticks. I also tried other memory sticks.

I'll try the video card.

Does the reflowinf of chip in any acer models will be the same for my laptop because thwre's no reflow video chip for acer aspire 4745g in youtube?

8. RockyJr

RockyJr MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2013
    Does the reflow mean that i need to use soldering iron to all parts and put it in an oven?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    pretty much reheat chip with hot air so it resolders to board.

10. RockyJr

RockyJr MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2013
    Can i use hair blower? Sorry i dont have enough knowledge when repairing parts.

I also remember like 8 months ago, my laptop's video feed became distorted (like checkered pixels) and then i cant use the ATI anymore, hence, i'm just using my intel card. Whenever i'm enabling the ati card, i get BSoD. Then i go back to safe mode and disable it. And 2 weeks ago, that's when i pulled the power cord accidentally. Do you think it's somehow connected.

And top of that, after opening my laptop a day after it was accidentally powered off, when i put back the pieces without the keyboard on it, it opened. But I powered it off again, thinking that my keyboard was disconnected and it wont work if it was not connected. Then after that, it wont open until now.

11. RockyJr

RockyJr MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2013
    When i disconnected the heat sink, i cleaned the fan and saw a half inch thick dust. When I observed the heat sink, the thermal paste is thin and looks like a broken glass or something. Is it normal? The logo of ATI is also embedded on the thermal paste.

12. RockyJr

RockyJr MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2013
    I'm done with reflowing it and it's working now. Does that mean i can use my ati video card now instead of intel?

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    use new thermal compound and keep it clean.. good to go for another year.
    u might need kester 951 no clean flux next time.

14. geoth

geoth MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    Hi!
    BIOS on my G555 Lenovo is corrupted. I am trying to recover with no success so far.
    I extract original bios (NAWA1110.rom) and I put copies of it with different names such as NAWA1X64.fd, NAWA1.rom and many others to a usb drive.
    Phoenixtool219 says that the recover name is NAWA1X64.f?
    I press Fn+b and aftrer plug AC I press power.
    I tried everything to re-flash the bios without success as my G555 would not even read the usb drive.

Please help me to recover.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if it ended with .fl1 then it would need to be decompressed to make it WPH. yours is insyde so its .fd and likely not compressed

16. geoth

geoth MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    Thanks for your advice but I think it is not compressed, I tried to decompress using e_bcpvpw.exe is says “source format file not acceptable – missing header”.
    I think my problem is not the file name as I can’t see any activity to usb drive. I suppose after putting on recovery mode it should scan usb drive regardless if there is right or wrong file on it.

17. rwmanos

rwmanos MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2013
    Hi,

I have a lenovo p400 with corrupted bios. I did not have a backup of the original bios so I downloaded 71cn51ww.exe from lenovo, which is a bios update. I extracted it and found a "bios.bin", its size is 7,44mb. I used andy's tool to find the right filename, putted 10 or more copies of the file with different filenames and booted the laptop with fn+b. Fans spin on maximum but nothing happens. Please help me find a way to restore the bios. Is there an spesific way to do it because the laptop came with windows 8 preinstalled ?

Thanks in advance.

18. p1gl3t

p1gl3t MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2011
    Should this procedure apply to the Asus n56vv? Phoenix labels the bios as EFI / Insyde BIOS but from what I've seen it seems to be AMI APTIO. Sorry for being a noob.

19. Munchy

Munchy MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    help

ok guys, after like 6days and 7 nights of trying to figure this one out myself i humbly ask for help :

details :

ACER 5755G 2454G50Mtks
    Insyde bios
    currently installed acer bios : 1.19 (from acer website)

first of all i'm not too sure what 'bricked' bios actually means, but this bios was working perfectly untill i stupidly changed the ram frequency to 1066 mhz (because on various spec sheets it was supposed to be installed, i didn't actually check my ram sticks). Ever since i've been unable to see anything on my screen, when i just turn on the laptop turns itself on and off infinitely. ( the installed ram sticks are 2x 2gb@676 mhz

ever since i have been trying to recover :

now, my first question would be, should i be trying to recover 1.19 or the previous version of the bios, wich was 1.21 (i went back to 1.19 cause of fan issues), or the original installed bios wich is 1.11 , all came from acer website.

when checking with andy's tools on all versions it says recovery file should be named P5W0X64.f? , i have no idea what to do with the quesion mark but i can't name my files like that, windows does not allow it, also i'm not sure if it's a zero are an 'Oh' in the name, and if the X needs to be capital or not...

all acer bios downloads contain windows and dos folder. when i extraxt the winflash .exe from 1.19 (called P5WE0119_winflash) and check platform.ini i get platform = AA and platform1 = BB and nothing else... (i can't seem to extract anything from the DOS files (flas**t.exe etc...)

now when i check the service manual it says following :

Steps for BIOS Recovery Using USB HDD NOTE:NOTE: Prior to performing the recovery, prepare a Crisis USB key. The Crisis USB key is created by executing the Crisis Disk program in another system with Windows ® 7 OS. To Create a Crisis USB key, perform the following: 1.Format USB HDD using the Quick Format option (Figure5-10). 2.Click Start to begin the procedure.

Figure 5-10.Format USBHDD
    3.Click OK to close the warning dialogue.

4.When formatting is complete, a dialogue is shown (Figure5-11). 5.Click OK to close dialogue.

Figure 5-11.Format Complete Dialogue 6.Click Closeto close the USB HDD Format dialogue. 7.Combine KBC and BIOS into one ROM file. The following files are used: KBC.ROM file name is K17C1xxx.ROM. BIOS.BIN file name is P5WE01xx.BIN. Combined ROM file name is P5WE0X64.fd (Whereas P5WE0X64.fd is the name of the BIOS release) 8.Type the following command: Copy /b KBC.ROM + BIOS.BIN Combine.FD Example: To recover BIOS v1.10, the KBC.ROM file name is K17C110B.rom and BIOS.BIN file name is P5WE0110.bin. The command to combine K17C110B.rom and P5WE0110.bin into one ROM file is shown in Figure5-12.

C:\>copy /b K17C110B.rom + P5WE0110.bin P5WE0X64.fd K17C110B.rom P5WE0110.bin 1 file(s) copied.
    Figure 5-12.Combining ROM Files

+
    IMPORTANT:
    Make sure only one BIOS file is saved in the USB HDD root directory. 9.Copy the combined ROM file, COMBINE.FD, to the root directory of USB HDD. 10.Rename COMBINE.FD to P5WE0x64.FD as shown in Figure5-13.

Figure 5-13.Renaming COMBINE.FD toP5WE0x64.FD
    To use the Crisis USB key, perform the following: 1.Turn off the system and disconnect the AC adapter (Figure5-14). Refer to “Getting Started”. 2.Disconnect battery pack. Refer to “Battery Pack Removal”. NOTE:NOTE: Make sure the power and charge lights are off, as shown on the power indicator. Refer to“Closed Front View”. 3.Plug in USB HDD (Figure5-14).

Figure 5-14.Plugging in the USB HDD

4.Press and hold <Fn + Esc> (Figure5-15).

Fn
    5.Plug in the AC adapter (Figure5-16).

AC Adapter
    Esc
    Figure 5-15.Pressing and holding <Fn + Esc> (1 of 2))
    Figure 5-16.Connecting AC Adapter (2 of 2)

6.Press the Power button to initiate system CRISIS mode (Figure5-17).

Figure 5-17.Pressing the Power Button

NOTE:
    Power Button
    NOTE: If the CRISIS mode did not initiate correctly, make sure the file name is correct on the USB HDD. Disconnect the AC adapter and battery to reset the embedded status. Repeat steps 1 through 6. 7.When CRISIS procedure is complete, the system auto restarts with a workable BIOS.

u can check the full manual at : paulov.ru/files/2013/03/728-SG_Aspire_5755_5755G.pdf, pages 186 - 192

now what i don't understand is this line in the service manual :merge the bin and the rom to P5WE0x64.fd where P5WE0x64.fd is the name of the bios release. What do they mean by name of bios release ??

I have too much variables at the moment where i'm not sure wich keys to use and wich usb port to use, if someone could confirm how i should name the recovery file that would be soo helpfull. I admit i'm in over my head but i'm just not ready yet to have it serviced because since i opened it for the cmos i know they gonna void warranty...

i can allways find the P5WE0xxx.bin and the K17CxxxA.rom file, i comine these as described into P5WE0x64.fd. this file i have renamed to many other things including the AA and BB list, no succes yet.

someone please put me on the right track, if u need more info pleas pm/mail/ask here.

20. keslopot

keslopot MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2014
    Hi everyone...

I have HP G72 A2OEM laptop and I've bricked it when trying to flash BIOS.
    Tried WinKey+B procedure with numerous files on USB disk and nothing so far.

BIOS is Insyde.

Original BIOS version before flashing was F.09 but I can't seem to find it anywhere to download.

Any ideas, suggestions... Help, please...

Thanks in advance.