Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. dadi26

dadi26 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    hi there..i just want to ask this question..i got toshiba a135 s2276 laptop..here is wtaht i did....

1..i download the wrong bios to my system..and i flashed right away with that wrong bios...when i flashed that bios with wrong setup..my mouse got frozen..and i unplug the power cord from the laptop..and plug back in..i was trying to power on..but all parts working..such as..hard drive..cd rom..cpu fan is workin..but the only one that is not working is...SCREEN..screen stays back..so i was plugging the external monitor to the laptop..and it doesn't work..so is there any way..to get this laptop working..or any files that can be working on the laptop to get him back to life...and tell me where i can find those files..thanks

2. heavengee

heavengee MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    Hy

Is it possible that I'm having the same issue previously described?
    I just tried to update my BIOS on pavilion dv5 1178er and at about 75%of the process, the laptop crashed. Maybe it erased all my old BIOS and didn't got to flash the new one?
    Could it be the reason why I'm not able to recover?

Thanks in advance

3. Apokrif

Apokrif MDL Addicted

Dec 7, 2008
    It might - [Dell] BIOS startup code is in the very last segment and recovery is the previous one. Anyone got messed up – you won’t be able to recover. And it doesn’t matter if you flash original or patched BIOS.
    That’s why it extremely important not to run anything during update from Windows. Or do it from DOS.
    Again, it’s not always the case. New [Dell] just save update into another flash area and do actual update during next reboot to avoid any interference. I would think, other OEMs are not much different.

Honestly, I don’t understand, why OEMs bother with recovery modules instead of having two independent BIOSes and permanent (non updatable) startup code to choose between them…
    Or make startup and recovery modules permanent.

4. reggit

reggit MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2010
    Hello from a complete Newb at this BIOS stuff.

I have a bricked aspire 2930 and am struggling to recover the bios.

So far I have downloaded the latest version from acer’s website, and renamed it JAT10.fd (JAT10 is the mainboard code) am I right in this naming protocol?
    I have this as the only file on a FAT formatted flash drive.

FN + ESC and mains on gives brief orange flash of power button. Upon pressing power button the fans + lights come on but USB drive isn’t accessed.

Tried same using CD-R disc, drive spins up and appears to read something but the CD drive stops 2-3 seconds later. Nothing further happens. I’ve left the machine on for several hours to confirm this. I’ve tried different naming conventions, but probably haven’t stumbled on the correct one as yet.

I’ve looked at the platform.ini file, but the model and platform name fields are both empty, so that isn’t helping me.

I’m probably doing something fundamentally wrong, but at this point I’m stuck and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

5. famufa

famufa MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    I guess it did not work for Thosiba Satellite A200 right?

The motherboard is an ISKA

Thank you.

6. ejt01

ejt01 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    re bricked 2930

Try this

BIOS Recovery by Crisis Disk
    BIOS Recovery Boot Block:
    BIOS Recovery Boot Block is a special block of BIOS. It is used to boot up the system with minimum BIOS
    initialization. Users can enable this feature to restore the BIOS firmware to a successful one once the previous
    BIOS flashing process failed.
    BIOS Recovery Hotkey:
    The system provides a function hotkey: Fn+Esc, for enable BIOS Recovery process when system is powered
    on during BIOS POST. To use this function, it is strongly recommended to have the AC adapter and Battery
    present. If this function is enabled, the system will force the BIOS to enter a special BIOS block, called Boot
    Block.
    Steps for BIOS Recovery from USB Storage:
    Before doing this, prepare the Crisis USB key. The Crisis USB key could be made by executing the Crisis Disk
    program in another system with Windows XP OS.
    Follow the steps below:
    1. Save ROM file (file name: JAT10x64.fd) to the root directory of USB storage.
    2. Plug USB storage into USB port.
    3. Press Fn + ESC button then plug in AC.
    The Power button flashes once.
    4. Press Power button to initiate system CRISIS mode.
    When CRISIS is complete, the system auto restarts with a workable BIOS.
    5. Update the latest version BIOS for this machine by regular BIOS flashing process.

7. reggit

reggit MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2010
    Thanks for that reply. The bit I'm stuck on is

Where do I find the crisis disk program? Whould it have come with the computer when it was new? I got it 2nd hand with no disks.

I can find JAT10x64.fd if I unpack and of the bios files on acer's website (using winRAR), system doesn't work with these files, so assume it's incorrect?

8. electrogoodie

electrogoodie MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    Bricked Compaq Presario C774TU (C700 Series)

I just bricked my friend's Compaq Presario C774TU last night. I followed every procedure on this thread but to no avail using 10 different USB Flash Drives, 5 different CDs and 6 different DVDs. Luckily, I have an external USB Floppy Diskette Drive from IBM. I used it this morning with a Verbatim 1.44MB 3.5" diskette and copied the BIOS file 30D9F34.FD. Then I renamed it to IBL80HW.FD. After applying the recovery procedure, I left the lappy running while I took my breakfast. When I returned, the lappy was already turned off. I was so sure that I was successful at the time I saw it turned off. I placed the batt pack back to the slot and plug the AC cord. Then I turned on the power button. The lappy rose back to life!!!:D:p:biggrin:

Thanks a million!!!:D:p:biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. purelydarksnail

purelydarksnail MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2010
    Acer Aspire 6935

I have on my bench a friends machine that has had the bios and the hdd passworded by her son. As you can guess he has forgotten the passwords..Tried alsorts to recover/reset the passwords but have got nowhere...thought that if i flashed the bios to a newer version this would clear the passwords...guess what??...it didnt. The way i flashed the bios was:-

prepared a bootable usb stick

copied KM2_113.fd to stick
    copied Flas**t to stick
    copied F.bat to stick

These files i obtained from the BIOS UPDATE file from the acer web site for my machine.

Plugged the stick into usb port. started machine and let it boot from the stick, at the C: prompt ( thats what came up ) i typed F and pressed enter, the Insyde flash utility kicked in and flashed/updated my bios

If i have done it all wrong please let me know...i cant fully check as i still cant get into the bios settings to do a proper check as i still need to get the password.

So if anyone here knows a master/backdoor password for the Insydeh2o bios.....please pass it on

10. Muzafsh

Muzafsh MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2010
    BIOS file name !!!...for an "Acer Aspire One - ZG5 (AOA105)"

Guys.......

BIOS file name !!!...for an "Acer Aspire One - ZG5 (AOA105)

ZG5IA32.fd

rest of the procedure for recovery remains the same. I was able to successfully Recover my bios with the above file name after a error while flashing a BIOS update.

11. sept77

sept77 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    I cannot found if this method can work on dell vostro 1200.
    Anyone have an experience for bios recovering on this system?
    I have follow this instruction, and i have tried by pressing Fn+B and battery indicator become orange, and put USB drive 4GB (FAT32) with contain all possible bios name (.fd, .bin, .rom, .fv).
    But it only blink indicator on CD-ROM (even i didn't put disk on this drive) and also blink on flash drive.
    My system still dead :((

Do i have miss something or i'm maybe on incorrect bios file name?
    Anyone can suggest which is the correct bios file name for my system?.

Below is possible bios name that i have tried (also i have copied to *.fd, *.rom, *.fv, *HW.fd, *IA32.fd )

030339.BIN
    030339IA32.BIN
    1.BIN
    1200.BIN
    1A09.BIN
    2142.BIN
    30F7.BIN
    30FB.BIN
    3602.BIN
    3603.BIN
    3610.BIN
    361B.BIN
    3627.BIN
    945.BIN
    945P.BIN
    945PL.BIN
    945PLA.BIN
    A09.BIN
    BIOS.BIN
    BOOT.BIN
    BVDT.BIN
    CCB.BIN
    CCBIA32.BIN
    COMPAL.BIN
    CRISIS.BIN
    DMI.BIN
    DMIIA32.BIN
    DV1200.BIN
    IBL80.BIN
    ICL5.BIN
    ICL50.BIN
    INSYDE.BIN
    INTEL.BIN
    JBL20.BIN
    JBL80.BIN
    JFT0.BIN
    JFT00.BIN
    KB926.BIN
    LPC47N227.BIN
    R214.BIN
    R214259.BIN
    V1200.BIN
    VOSTRO.BIN
    WUHAN.BIN
    WUHANA09.BIN

12. electrogoodie

electrogoodie MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    USB Floppy Diskette Drive

Have you tried using the USB Floppy Diskette Drive? Try each file on a diskette. Maybe it will work. Try using different brands of USB Thumbrive or you can use an external HDD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. riquard

riquard MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    guys,

I´ve got a aspire 7720G with a Insyde ICL50 bios and I tried all methods and all filenames mentioned. The cdrom and also the flash stick is being read. sometimes it reads every 2-3 minutes for a few seconds, like it can´t find the right file. But I´ve also seen it read for a couple of minutes, like it did copy the bios file (I was hoping that..). But the computer won´t shut down, not even after an hour.
    Do you think it is worth buying a usb floppydrive?

14. grof

grof MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    Go to authorized Toshiba service (and pray if you do not have extended warranty).
    In my case, the service had to replace the motherboard. They said that recovery routine did not work.
    Of course, they did not want to tell me, what is the procedure of recovery at Toshiba.

15. phatte

phatte MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Please Please Please help ! I am a newbie about the BIOS things . Forgivr me if I post it wrong place but I need help to recover bios for my notebook Hp dv4-1145go. Please guide me step by step to do the recovery bios . Thank you very much and much.

16. phatte

phatte MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    hi all ! first of all I like to thank Yen and Lenonisya ( you guys are the truth killer bios). After reading carefully and following your guides ,I just got my noteboke( HP pavilion dv4 model ) alives again which was bricked after updating bios . Thank you guys so much and saved me money and time. I will keep reading this site to learn for sure. yes you guys are the bios killer.

17. Apokrif

Apokrif MDL Addicted

Dec 7, 2008
    Did you mean BIOS revivers? ;)