Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Prowhiz

Prowhiz MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2020
    I'm happy for you. It's the one problem I couldn't fix. Largely because it was a work laptop. So I couldn't really go crazy fixing it. It got fixed though. They took it to a professional.

2. DJUrbanSky

DJUrbanSky MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2020
    Hi there,

can somebody help me finding the filename for my Ideapad 320-15IKB ?

Tried several filename such as AA.fd BB.fd Bios.fd ATCrisis.fd but the recovery is still not working.

Is there a Google Sheet where all found filenames are written down? Maybe this would help many of us.

3. happyending

happyending MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2020
    Can't believe this finally worked for me (Ideapad 720s 14ikb, uses InsydeH2O bios). Thought someone could save time using the same steps. Here is what I ultimately did:
    - Download latest bios (.exe) from lenovo
    - Download innoextract 1.8 (zip includes .exe) from github
    - Download 7zip
    - Create new folder and copy innoextract.exe and biosfilename.exe there, then on command line: innoextract biosfilename.exe
    - This creates a new folder, in which you will find similarly named BIOSFILENAME.exe. Extract that file with 7zip
    - Now, follow the steps of the posts in the first page of this thread: open extracted platform.ini file and look for PlatformName. In my case there were values for PlatformName1 and PlatformName2. Then copy extracted .ROM (could be .BIN or other format) file and make copy for each PlatformNameX.fileEnding (ROM, BIN...) as listed in the first page
    - Add all these renamed copies to your usb drive
    - Shut down bricked computer. Hold fn + r + power button for 15 seconds until fan spins, after that release power button, then release fn & r
    - Plug in usb drive and turn on the computer
    - After a few seconds, computer starts reading the usb drive and starts beeping (success).

Let me know if this helped

4. nikazz

nikazz MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2018
  5. cgwannabe

cgwannabe MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2020
    This worked for me with a bricked Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB

I did the following:

- Download latest bios (.exe) from lenovo
    - Download innoextract 1.8 (zip includes .exe) from github
    - Download 7zip
    - Create new folder and copy innoextract.exe and biosfilename.exe there, then on command line: innoextract biosfilename.exe
    - This creates a new folder, in which you will find similarly named BIOSFILENAME.exe. Extract that file with 7zip [note that other software didn't work for this]
    - you will now have a bunch of files, one of which is named ***.rom
    - You now need to rename the file so that the computer will recognise it. I couldn't get a clear answer on what to call the file by looking in platform.ini or using andy's tool, but after trying a few options it worked with one of the following:
    AA.bin
    AAHW.bin
    BB.bin
    BBHW.bin
    BIOS.bin
    DLZP3.bin
    DLZP3X64.bin
    - So make a bunch of copies of the ***.rom file rename each to one of the names above and add all these renamed copies to your usb drive
    -Shut down bricked computer and disconnect power cable.
    -Plug usb drive in to bricked computer.
    - Hold fn + r plug in power cable.
    - press the power button (keeping fn + r held down)
    - After a few seconds, computer starts reading the usb drive and starts beeping (success).
    - release fn + r once the computer starts beeping.
    - wait until it stops beeping and shuts down.

Finished!

6. cobanram

cobanram MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2017
  7. longj4ck

longj4ck MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2020
  8. Andrias

Andrias MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2021
    Hello

I have a problem with Dell Latitude E5530 -nonvpro version. Andy's tool won't give me any name for recovery bios. Can someone help me out?

9. kos1974

kos1974 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2021
    Packard Bell tk85,bricked after bios flash (35hours on and flash procedure stuck-i removed it from power and,of course it bricks),i rename PEW71117.fd to PEW71X64.fd and press Fn +Esc (no Win key+B) it boots ok!!!!Thank you very much!!!

10. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    "ZHP.fd".

11. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    Well, it is. Recovery doesn't work.

12. Aidar86

Aidar86 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2022
    It is sad. I'm going to look for a programmer.
    Thank you anyway.

13. hamidmoezzi

hamidmoezzi MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2022
    Hello everyone,

I have a lenovo ideapad 310-15isk laptop. I held the power button to turn off the laptop while it was restarting. When it turned off and I wanted to turn it back on, I ran into the black screen, fan working, keyboard num lock and caps lock lights are off and no lenovo logo at all. The laptop works for 1 minute then restarts automatically again and again. I should mention that when a connect the ac charger it automatically turns on and no need to hit the power button. I tried many ways to recover it, but no success!

I think the bios should be flashed but I could not find the exact name of the FD or BIN file for that. The bios version was 0xcn45ww and I tried many combinations of file names but no success.
    AA.FD
    BB.FD
    AA.BIN
    BB.BIN
    bioss.FD
    BIOS.FD
    0XCN45WW.BIN

and one weird thing is that when I hold Fn+R the fan speed and sound to increase and the laptop will not restart untill I release these buttons. However, nothing happens and still black screen.

any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
    Hamid

14. quid

quid MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
    Try 0X_Crisis.fd

15. hamidmoezzi

hamidmoezzi MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2022
    Thank you so so so so much for your help. This file name solved the problem of my Lenovo ip 310-15isk

For two weeks I was trying to repair the laptop but no sign of hope. You really saved my time and money. Thank you so much.

Guys, please continue helping people. Sometimes you do save someone's life.

Thank you again.
    Hamid

16. quid

quid MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
  17. SirMeowsie

SirMeowsie MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2019
    #660 SirMeowsie, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022