Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. BonjourBonsoir

BonjourBonsoir MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2022
    Hello eveyone,

Sorry to re-up this thread and also for my bad english.

While trying to update the bios the one had an error and I had to cut it since I have a black screen and I can't do anything my computer is a lenovo ideapad 320-15IKB 81BG.

I downloaded the bios 6JCN33WW I followed a tutorial but nothing works I prepared a USB key formatted in fat32 with a 6JCrisis.fd file inside.

When I keep pressing FN + R nothing on the computer turns on and after a few seconds it ventilates strongly.

I see on this thread that you have many files to put on the usb key while I only have one, maybe that's what's wrong.

PS: I use google translate

2. CBEMA

CBEMA MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2007
    Acer Spin 1 SP111-31 (N16W2). I can't find the .fd bios recovery file and filename.

I have a Acer Spin 1 SP111-31 (N16W2). I cannot get it to boot. Black screen.

Bios file contains only isflash.bin and none xxxxxxxx.fd file for recovery.

(I was looking for the .fd name by the hex editor, found IronhidAPLNewTxe.fd)

Share .fd file or file name for recovery by the Fn + Esc method.

3. quid

quid MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
    rename isflash.bin to IronhidAPLNewTxe.fd

4. anof

anof MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2022
    Hi everyone.

Hope I can get some help here. I'm about to lose my mind

I got a Igel m340c with an old bios, version M340C V:3.4.13-02032016 and been the past two month on and off trying to find a newer bios/uefi for this "s**tbox" that I named him/her.
    But it's not tha easy to find one, since Igel locked the bios/uefi behind their OS and cant install it without username and password in their software UD or what it's called.

So, is there someone here that have a slightly idea or fix to update my bios?

The reason is that I was planed the use the s**tbox for HAOS, and need UEFI,

/anof

5. Dimansan

Dimansan MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2022
    Acer Aspire 3 A317-53 file name should be: FH4ATx64.FD
    just rename extracted abobios.bin to FH4ATx64.FD
    copy to fat32 formatted flash drive root folder.
    Power off notebook.
    Combination is Fn+Esc.
    If done notebook will shutdown.
    if not - reboot

6. Buzek

Buzek MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2023
    How to get in the recoverymode with an acer travelmate 645m? The battery can't be unplugged. Tried with pulling down the batterybutton on the backside, but the laptop doesn't startedt with only ac plugged in.

7. Thomas OSter

Thomas OSter MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2023
    Thank you for the quick answer. I ran the executable and there was a file calles isflash.bin. If I open it with andy's tool, I get the same info as directly opening the EFI file with it. There seems to be a firmware section, which I can extract (not sure at which level). It also spits out a BIOS0.BIOS and BIOS7.BIOS file. I am not sure which one would be the correct file.

However the new thing is if I run the isflash.bin through the strings command I get some lines containing "BIOS.fd", so this may be the magic filename I am looking for?

Can I just try to rename any option to BIOS.fd or will it flash whatever is in there without any sanity check?

8. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    @Thomas OSter
    This can be the recovery name, although you can try searching for any .bin file name occurrence.

Atm I even doubt if this brand provides recovery feature in BIOS. Or it can have an unknown key combo for it, but you can try the standard Acer Fn+Esc. Be aware that the recovery function operates on the file name specified in the current installed BIOS.

"BIOS0.BIOS" should be the full initial update file. The same as isflash.bin Correct me if they are not the same size. And also there's always a sanity check.

9. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
    ASCII "$IFLASH" signatures indicate the beggining of the update file parts (BIOS image, EC, cfg file for H2OFFT and so one).
    This is the config file you found.

None of the above. That EFI editing utility can only read BIOS image part. It is not a requirement to extract BIOS image for recovery process, but you can use it with CH341A programmer tool in case if the device would not be possible to recover traditional way.

As I wrote, try to find a name with .bin extension, or share the BIOS update file with me so I can do it for you. I don't have any access to my PC for an independent investigation.

10. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
    The next line in hex after the signature, if you understand what I mean. And you likely do, because you have a degree in computer science. :eek:
    I never thought about calculating length. I just know that the BIOS image must have alignment. If an executable file is slightly more than 16MB in size, then BIOS is also 16MB. Next, I simply select the area after the signature equal to this value.

That's correct.

I am glad that such programs are being developed.

I'll let you know the file name for recovery when I find it.

11. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
  12. secondhandmodel

secondhandmodel MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2023
    Hi

I have a Lenovo Ideapad S540-13ITL and I tried updating to the latest BIOS as of 2022.
    I did the usual procedure downloading the latest .exe file from Lenovo and proceeded with the update.
    After rebooting the BIOS started updating, finished and rebooted back into Windows 11.

Now for some reason my BIOS is completely missing. I tried to re-run the procedure again and Insyde says "Get platform information failed!"
    Current ID/Version is blank, New ID/Version is blank too...
    When I restart and press F2 to enter the BIOS i get a blank screen but Lenovo logo shows as normal and Windows 11 boots.

I've tried extracting the latest version from the downloaded .exe file and it shows as "BIOS.fd" with PlatformName1=AA and PlatformName2=BB
    Using an old USB 2.0 4GB stick with BIOS.fd / AA.fd / BB.fd copied in FAT32/16 format I tried the recovery FN+R procedure but it just keeps rebooting instead of beeping to force the recovery?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks

13. Shortyportuguese

Shortyportuguese MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Have you visited the manufacturer website? And Why UEFI, when Windows IOT can be installed on legacy BIOS