Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Navje

Navje MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    In my 6935g, I screwed up my BIOS after I changed IDE settings to AHCI (SATA controller). This is reeeeeally weird. How can changing this single setting corrupt the bios? I removed my HDD and the bios still is corrupt. I really need win XP for one of my external devices and can only install it when I use IDE compatibility mode. I tried slipstreamed SATA drivers but they all didn't woork.

My experience with my screwed up 6935g this far...

i figured out the following things

- the platform.ini file does not contain a model name
    - the platformname variables in platform.ini (AA and BB) are obviously mere examples of what it could be, i don't think AA.fd or BB.fd or whatever are recognized by the possible recovery tool
    - the bios name is KM2_XXX.fd where XXX is the version, for example KM2_113.fd is the bios for version 1.13
    - KM2 most probably does refer to the modelname, which I think is KiliManjaro 2.0 (looked up some service manuals and stuff on google)

i tried the following names for the bios files on my USB stick:

KM2.fd
    KM2HW.fd
    KM2_.fd
    KM2_HW.fd

no success...

the thing that frustrates me the most is that when you press fn+esc at boot, then press the power button once again after the laptop is on, it does indeed try to read something off the USB and CD drive.

i tried pulling out the small electricity cable which is connected to the CMOS battery and putting it back in. It is located on the bottom of the laptop, right next to the RAM sticks. I thought this might reset the BIOS, no success.
    This will BTW not void your warranty, because you are allowed to open that part of the case, because the HDD and RAM modules are there.

no success...

arghh, well, luckily I still have warranty on the laptop. Might just indeed send it back in. Probably, they will put in a new motherboard or somehow reset the BIOS.

2. jimbob121

jimbob121 MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    Excellent post. Knowledge is power!

Worked for me.

Many thanks

3. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    I used the Insyde / Phoenix mod tool to just dump (and extract) the bios contents. After that I searched for ".fd" in the dumped files. There were only 2 files containing the search string. The string which has been found is the same in both files. Now the result:

KM2X64.fd

(make sure to use the right upper- and lower case letters)

May be this would do the trick.

4. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    I've just tested successfuly the same way for 7720g BIOS (extracted/dumped BIOS and searched for ".fd" in the extracted files) - found 1 file with the string ICL50HW.fd . So it should be possible to find out the needed file specification for almost any Insyde BIOS ;) . May be we should add an option to search and show a possible BIOS recovery file name in Insyde / Phoenix mod tool.

5. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    File name is KM2X64.fd

6. 7712

7712 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    Search recovery bios for my HP dv9500t CTO

7. Navje

Navje MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    I wish I had thought of this earlier (creating a dump with the tool).
    Now it is already sent back for support... Oh well, still useful information!

8. acdiasjunior

acdiasjunior MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2010
    Acer Aspire AS1410-8414

Guys, I have tried to repair my bios without success. Try to rename the bios, but I can't find any solution for this.

Anyone knows the right name for the bios file in the usb flash drive?

9. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Glad to help ;) . Which key combination did you press to initiate the flash procedure at power on (like described in the first post in this thread) ?

10. venaro

venaro MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    Can anyone help identify the correct factory default file name for an HP Elitebook 8530P. The BIOS Administrator Password on this unit is set, and unknown. Good Times. : /
    I'm not sure if the forced bios recovery in this thread will do the trick or not, but my only other option is to send it off to HP for non-warranty covered work.

There is no .ini file in the HP Bios update service pack, but I did run some other tools and belive the correct platorm ID is 30E7.
    I've tried the methods described in the thread and have had no luck with either CDROM or USB approaches, which leaves me thinking the file name is not yet correct, or that the
    Admin bios password is blocking success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

11. gadafi

gadafi MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    Hello,

I have same issue with HP Probook 6930p. Screen doesn't start, all led's are on and CapsLock is blinking constantly.
    I have tried suggested BIOS recovery methods but none worked for me.
    Have tied lot off filenames but none worked. Can somebody help me with this one?
    Have tried 68PCU, 68PCD..
    USB flash starts blinking 3 times ( it looks like it is reading) but nothing more happens, no sounds, black screen.

What to do to force bios recovery..

12. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008