Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gadafi

gadafi MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
  2. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Since you have to try everything blind (without display activity) just wait a few minutes after USB activity. I think 5 minutes should be enough. If there is no power down or restart just try to power down and power on manualy.
    You can try to copy the bin and sig files to root directory but I think the folder structure is being used.

Did you format the USB flash drive with FAT32 ?! I think so but if you didn't, just format with FAT32 and try again.

3. gadafi

gadafi MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    I have tried all that. Waited for 10 minutes or so. Restarted manually and notebook boots up no video with blinking caps-lock(as it was). It is qute strange that what ever key combination i press or do not press, i get usb, hdd activity. i have also tried to remove and do all again with hdd hdd puled out. Everything stays the same...

4. hitechobra

hitechobra MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    My Laptop is Compaq Presario CQ45-137TX

Yesterday while modding the BIOS corrupted and hence no display on the screen.
    Got latest files from the HP files for my model. But the list contained 4 files:
    30F7F65D.FD-1024 KB
    30F7F65U.FD-1024 KB
    30F7F654.FD-1024 KB
    30F7F655.FD-2048 KB
    and one more file
    7010F65.FD

The contents of the Platform.ini were not so helping.
    [Platform_Check]
    flag=1
    PlatformName=FFFF
    PlatformName2=BB

Finally in the end i renamed the file 30F7F655.FD file by rename it to 30F7.BIN & .ROM

Started the system with the method mentioned here. The system started to read from Flash drive and beeping and finally shutting down after some time.

Waited for a minute and started the system. and started the problem...

The system started with no display and got shut down immediatedly (arnd 5 sec)
    Started again and after few second the Num lock and Caps lock started blinking. Waited for a long time (arnd 10 mins) finally switched off.

Is any one here to help me out. My warranty is over.

5. hitechobra

hitechobra MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    I want to add one more thing here that i again tried to flash it bt this time its not reading any devices. not even the hard disk activity.

6. pukuotuks

pukuotuks MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2010
    Welcome,
    I have a Acer Aspire 5739G-664G50Mi (Model No.: Zk6) notebook. Acer page, just 5739G or 5739, because the BIOS files are the same.
    Once upon a time I was young and inexperienced, so I decided to update the BIOS in WindowsXp, resulting in the computer today is not working :(
    Ah, the PC BIOS experts, geniuses :)worthy::worthy::worthy:), Help me to discover that standard PC BIOS file name of my box.
    The computer seems to get involved, blinking lights, fans are working, looking for something in the CD:)
    Have enough only copy *.bin and *.wph files *.fd to end? Will have to use a USB key, floppy emulator?

7. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Found the following name possibilities:

30F7F654.FD -> 30F7.bin or BLADEX64.fd (root directory)
    30F7F655.FD -> 30F7.bin or BLADE15X64.fd (root directory)
    30F7F65D.FD -> 30F7.bin or BLADEX64.fd (root directory)
    30F7F65U.FD -> 30F7.bin or BLADE_UMAX64.fd (root directory)
    7010F65.FD -> 7010.bin or BLADEX64.fd (root directory)

I think that you only need the first name (30F7.bin or 7010.bin). Since there is more than one hardware architecture you need to know more specific details to flash the correct BIOS.

8. gadafi

gadafi MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    HP Elitebook 6930p - BIOS recovery

Hello again,

I have tried all options that you mentioned previously. All i got is constant caps-lock led blinking. I tried disconnecting CMOS battery for awhile and "reset" the BIOS. After i start notebook, it restarts after 5 seconds and the i get caps and num lock blink two times (meaning bios corrupted). What ever i do i cannot make my notebook to start restoring bios. I tried changing names and file locations but nothing. I also tried to recreate HP_TOOLS partition as suggested on HP site but without success.

What else to try? What am i doing wrong?

Can someone point to me eeprom that holds bios so i can reprogram eeprom directly..

thanks in advance...

9. electrogoodie

electrogoodie MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    After dumping the bios file it seems that 1522.BIN or 7009.BIN in root directory are the correct file names. Hmm, may be an other key combination would do the trick ?!

11. hitechobra

hitechobra MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    thnx 4 ur reply bt the situation is bit different which goes as follows......

i did all the recovery method mentioned here and the BIOS did recover from the thumbdrive. and the system shutdown ws normal.wen the system is switched on and after 4-5 sec it turns off without showing any dispaly screen.it gets turned on automatically after 3 secs.after another few secs the num and cap lock LED starts to blink continuously.

i again tried to recover my BIOS with a different file (renamed to 30F7.bin and 30F7.rom).but ths tym the system got turned off after few secs of pressing Win +"B" (before trying to read the thumb drive with the new filenames). and ths is continuing since then.

the system is nt able to read the thumb drive even though i pressed the Win+"B" and turns off. i took it to the service centre.they are charging huge amount to replace the whole motherboard which is not possible for me to give. so what should be my next step???i have my xams from 22nd april and my study material is in my laptop.i am in great need of help...plzzz help me..

12. electrogoodie

electrogoodie MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    Borrow or Buy a lappy HDD enclosure

For the meantime that there is no solution yet, you may borrow or buy an external enclosure for lappy HDD. Remove HDD from your lappy and place it inside the enclosure -- be it firewire or usb, so that you can study and take exams by plugging it to another or someone else's Mac or PC. :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. dasche

dasche MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    hi

I need to recover bios of Acer Aspire 5500z
    It had an insyde bios.
    but i could not find the correct file for recovery. I have tried every combination of renaming the downloaded bios file from Acer website.
    nothing worked.

Plz help.

14. tomay3000

tomay3000 MDL Member

Apr 16, 2010
    I have hp Pavilion dm3-1060ef Notebook PC & its "Insyde BIOS" is gone & my baby has no longer started. So I downloaded its BIOS from HP ftps & I decompressed its, so I found a folder named "Crisis" containing two files : "142E.bin" & "3649.bin". I am wondring which one is the correct file name to be used in the USB Stick to use the recovery method.

Help me please to save my baby :(

15. youljunior

youljunior MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Hello,

I have a Toshiba L300 PSLB9E that I think I had bricked by a bad flash.
    When I start it, the leds are on and CD spin a little but nothing else...

I tried to put bios file on a cd and a USB key but it doesn't read nothing on both.

Can someone help me to retrieve my laptop or is it impossible to bring it back?

16. electrogoodie

electrogoodie MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    You will have to place both of them in a usb pendrive or usb floppy drive if it fits but if not, you must place each file in different floppy diskettes. You must refer to the first page of this post in renaming your bios file. :)

17. electrogoodie

electrogoodie MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009