Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Take the NEW70106.fd file from the DOS folder and rename the file to "NEW70X64.fd" (without quotation marks). Put the file in the root directory of your stick (should be in FAT32 or FAT format). Try to initiate the bios recovery process.

2. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Download the bios update from Toshiba (bios-20100225083641.zip). Unzip the file. Now you should have the file PS10220.exe. Now take a 7-zip capable unpacker and unpack the self extractor archive. You will find the file PS10220M.fd. Now rename this file to "BIOS.fd" (without quotation marks). Copy this file to the root directory of your stick (should be FAT32 or FAT formated). Initiate the bios recovery process.

3. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Very simple - the bios recovery will find it's correct file name for itself (it's already named correctly). Just copy both .bin files to the root directory of a stick (FAT32 or FAT format) and initiate bios recovery by pressing windows key and B during power on (like described in readme).

4. nier

nier MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi. i have a hp pavilion dv5 and i flashed the last version of bios that i downloaded from hp website,
    then my computer stuck before finishing its job. I downloaded version F21A from the website and renamed the
    file 3603F21.fd to 3603.bin, then copied these files to my flash, pressed windows key+B then power button after
    my flash lamp turned on, I release all the buttons, my laptop beeped and after about 2 minutes, it has been
    turned off automatically. After turn-on the black screen. I try again, laptop does not beep
    Please help me.

5. youljunior

youljunior MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    I already did this but nothing happens...
    I tried a lot of keys combinations...

Will it better work if I buy a USB floppy reader ??

6. youljunior

youljunior MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    I buy a usb floppy this morning but nothing happens : the computer doesn't access the floppy....

Is there any chance for my laptop to survive?

7. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Method works great with HP Pavilion DV7, THX

8. joeyung371

joeyung371 MDL Novice

May 24, 2010
    shakeyplace,

I have a DV7-3085DX laptop too. It is working well. I performed the procedure, but nothing happened.
    What is the filename you used on the flash drive? what is the key combination to initiate?
    Thanks in advance!

9. mauser2003

mauser2003 MDL Junior Member

Apr 13, 2009
    thanks....thanks....thanks....thanks....thanks....thanks.... worked when I had lost all hope (used 4gb flash drive)

10. amhonra

amhonra MDL Novice

May 20, 2010
    I have a Dv7-1285dx and I cant make it works. What is the filename you used on the flash drive?

If you can help me , Thank you

11. PCSM

PCSM MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    Hi,

i´ve flashed a Acer TravelMate 291LCi on Windows. While im flashing, the prodecure stoped by an bluescreen (RAM Problems). Now there is only a black screen at startup.

On the Front of the laptop ist a sticker with "291LCi". At the Frontpanel its called TravelMate 290. On the label at the ground its called: TM291LCi / TravelMate 290 Series / CL51. Inside at the RAM-Socket is a sticker with "DCL53". Which BIOS is the right?

Is recovery possible?

Thanks.....

12. nitomachine

nitomachine MDL Novice

May 23, 2010
    Hello everybody,
    I am new in this Thread and need some help for a problem with an Packard Bell EasyNote LJ65-DT307SPB.
    For accident the bios was flashed with Flas**t and other PC bios, I don't know the model.
    Now, when plug-in AC, Power led light red, and if push power button don't occurs nothing. With only the battery, pushing power button for 10 seconds results in power led lighting blue, nothing more and if release the button go to off.
    With the battery and pluging AC in 10 seconds led go blue,but nothing more.
    I tried with all knows Hotkeys and a lot of names for the ROM file,but there are no activity in DVD,USB Flash,USB Hdd.
    Anyone knows the procedure to recover this bios?
    Or is possible the flash through the COM port?
    Or unlock the bootblock with jumpers in COM port?

The model is Packard Bell EasyNote LJ65-DT307SPB
    The bios is an Insyde H20
    Bios version: 1.05
    In plattform.ini there are no model name
    I have the original bios, modded bios and ACPI tables if anyone needs

Thanks in advance

13. PCSM

PCSM MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    Hi,

when i insert my Recoveryfloppy i get a strange peep code (short,short,short,....,.....). When i plug off my usb-fdd the peep code stops.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!

14. nitomachine

nitomachine MDL Novice

May 23, 2010
    Hi,

Normally this beep codes are posting RAM or VGA problems,but try to answer this questions to take more information:
    Are you sure the problem is the BIOS, not the RAM?
    Can you try with other RAM modules or test your RAM in another computer?
    If you start without Recovery Floppy, get the beep code?
    When start to make the recovery, is responding for Key-Combo (fan starts or blinking led)?
    There are any activity on the Floppy?
    What filename are you using for BIOS?

15. PCSM

PCSM MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    At Startup (normal on) WITHOUT Floppy there is a long peep (long peep - long break - long peep,...,....)

Startup with Floppy: Access on the Floppy (FDD is all time busy). After 4s short,short,short,......

When i remove the Floppydisk the peep (short,short,short.......) stops!

RAM is ok (now). The problem was the bad ram. I get a bluescreen while i was flashing the bios under win. Now i try to restore the bios......

I didnt rename the bios file. Unfortanly, i am not sure, which bios is the correct (look at my first reply)

thanks...!

16. nitomachine

nitomachine MDL Novice

May 23, 2010
    Hi,

I'm not sure what's the correct filename for bios, but if you see the first post in thread, for an CL50 Aspire the filename was ICL50.fd or ICL50HW.fd

This is the post:

Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.
    Hi guys,
    After bricking my acer 7720g notebook, i found an easy bios recovery method for my notebook,
    Theese worked for my acer 7720g notebook
    i used flash drive but it can work with cd or dvd
    download the bios files from acer site, unpack them (right click extract with winrar)
    Rename the bios file xxxxxx.fd to ICL50.fd or ICL50HW.fd (do not touch the extension) PLEASE CONFIRM WHICH FILE IS CORRECT. THIS WILL HELP FOR OTHER USERS.
    Copy the file to usb fdd,or usb flash stick. DO NOT MAKE anything etc. ONLY COPY
    Remove battery, adapter (power cord) , mouse etc.
    Attach usb fdd, or usb flash stick
    Hold down <Fn> + <Esc>, Edit by Yen: At other Notebooks it's <windows> key + <B>
    Plug In the Ac Power adapter, wait about 3-5 secs
    Press the power button
    Now release the buttons.
    It took about 2-3 minutes and notebook powered down itself.......
    Then plug in the battery simply power it on.
    That’s all. Now normal screen appears and acer is alive
    Pls. say it works for u or not

Can you test renaming bios to CL51.fd ,next ICL51.fd , next CL51HW.fd and ICL51HW.fd
    Good Luck!!!!

17. PCSM

PCSM MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    Hi,

thanks for help! I tried: CL51.fd - ICL51.fd - CL51HW.fd - ICL51HW.fd : the same peep......

But iam perplexed. "DO NOT TOUCH THE EXTENSION"; the orig. extension is .rom??

There is no CL51 Bios on Acer Homepage.....???? I get a "CL51" bios from: service1.marasst.com/Cnotebooks/cl5156.htm

But iam not sure, if its the right one!

18. ipnash

ipnash MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    Lenovo G560 bricked

Hi guys. I have a bricked Lenovo G560 with this things:

0) InsydeH20 EFI.
    1) Blank screen (also blank VGA output).
    2) No beeps at all.
    3) It shutdown automaticaly after a couple of seconds on "normal mode". Volume control and other touch buttons are "on".
    4) When I press "Fn + B" (on "recovery mode") doesn't read my pendrive and shutdown after a few seconds. Volume control and other touch buttons are "off" in this mode.

I don't know what to do.

Please, I'll apreciate any help from you.

Thanks a lot.

19. Xero1

Xero1 MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2010
    Aspire 7720G Bricked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys

I have a bricked Aspire 7720G (failed BIOS update). I have read this forum with great interest and a lot of hope. I have tried all the variations of options suggested without any joy. :(

Does anyone know how to force a BIOS update? Is it likely that its beyond any help and i now wish i had a time machine:(:(:(

20. Xero1

Xero1 MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2010
    Aspire 7720G Bricked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE

You guys rock :worthy:, I’ve been banging my head against a brick wall with this one.

So I thought I would give it a final try. After reading all this thread I went on to the Acer web site and after a bit of digging I found all the previous BIOS versions for the 7720g on their FTP site. I down loaded the 1.34 version (this had a DOS install version). I used a small usb stick (128meg), formatted it Fat16 and copied the FD file (icl50hw.fd) as previous posts have stated this is the correct syntax for the 7720g. I plugged it into the lappy, holding down FN + ESC attached the AC and powered on.

This is where my experience was a little different from the others. I continued to hold down the keys, waiting for a beep (no came) but after about @2 mins the system shutdown.

Powered back on. BINGO