Uninstall Update(s) location

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spacednow, Dec 1, 2009.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    In XP (didn't tinker w/Vista long enough) many programs, even CCleaner, had the option to remove update uninstallers. Now CC doesn't (in windows 7 anyways) have this option. I've checked the folders where windows used to keep them and others where I thought they might be. I can't seem to locate them, does anyone know where (or if) they're kept anymore??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    if you want to remove installed updates,in control panel click programs and features.click view installed updates in the top left corner.then click once on the update you want to uninstall,then click uninstall at the top.

3. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I'm only wanting to remove update uninstallers (or move them to another folder), not the updates. There aren't that many updates as of NOW, but eventually there will be and they can take up a considerable bit of space on the fastest portion of the HD. I'm beginning to think windows 7 handles updates differently and that no uninstaller files are kept, or they are hidden so well they can't be unhidden by any of the folder settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. garf02

garf02 MDL Member

Sep 15, 2007
    #4 garf02, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    The updates go to add or modify files in the folder Windows\winsxs
    This is a system folder and is not safe to delete the contents.
    You can always delete the installer in the Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder

5. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Was wondering about those, and the ones in the installer folder...but non are listed as $NTUninstallKB********$, I think I'll just keep looking in my spare time.....BTW anyone else think windows 7 search is really foobarred? It never finds anything unless I point it directly to the folder where the file I'm searching for is...might be my settings or something, but its really annoying.
    :(

6. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    He means the backup uninstallers like the ones created in XP inside the Windows folder.

The files in the c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ are just the downloaded hotfixes and not the backups created by the hotfix installers.

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #7 Phazor, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    Not sure if thats what youre looking for, but some installers put copies of themselves into

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\

Others are putting a (compressed) copy of themselves into

C:\ProgramData

EDIT: I just see you were talking about Updates. Never mind then...

8. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Tune-up utilities remove these backups when you free up disk space.:)

9. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Thanks for all the input :)