Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by davidxxw, Sep 18, 2009.

1. 7key

7key MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Is there another link to your BIOS_Backup_TooKitV2.0.rar

I would love to give your program a try but seems to be bad link?

Not Found

The requested URL /Tools/SLIC_Dump_Toolkit/BIOS_Backup_TooKitV2.0.rar was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2. StarTac

StarTac MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    Link Not Found :(

3. ByteMaster

ByteMaster MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    The problem is that the Vaio I have here was released in 2007 and Sony never released a BIOS upgrade for it... hopefully there will be one for Windows 7 support after Oct 22, 2009 but I somehow doubt it. That means only softmod is an option now.

4. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Sorry, does not recognise bios from Dell Inspiron 6400, the only tool I ever found to properly backup bios is either flashrom (Linux) or Dell's own utilities

Just thought I may pass it on...

5. 7key

7key MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Thank you for the new link and great tool David. It worked on ECS 945P-A v1.1 much appreciated.:D

6. imatrix

imatrix MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    has anyone tried this tool on vaio laptop?

7. Shashank_best

Shashank_best MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    :(

hi,

how to verify if the backed up bios is same as the original one??

I've a sony vaio

8. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Maybe a CRC checksum compare of official bios versus backed up bios!

9. infrablack

infrablack MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I backed up bios to a file and compared with my original bios file with winhex and result is perfect there is no diffrence between them...
    Thanks for tool David.....=)=)

my computer is acer 5315 and bios is insyde

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. C.L.A.N. 0³

C.L.A.N. 0³ MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks, great tool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. deadpda

deadpda MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    Same question! I've a Vaio too, and the tool reads, identifies and backups the BIOS.

Looking at the backup in ultraedit (hex editor) it would apear to contain something, but in the absence of a Genuine BIOS to compare I couldn't say whether it is correct or not.

I'm going to see if I can find a similar BIOS somewhere and report back.

Slick tool, by the way, simple and effective!!

d.

12. deadpda

deadpda MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    Ok,

Well I've found a similar BIOS, from another vaio with the same suffix ( R0131J9 as opposed to my R1150J9) and compared line by line for the beginning and the end, and they look very, very similar, but, as one would expect, not the same.

The most significant difference would be that the end of the R0131J9 BIOS had a dozen or so extra lines, which may be the configuration code for the Phoenix BIOS upload tool, as mentioned above.

If I simply added those last few lines to my BIOS I wonder if it would work?

d.

13. deadpda

deadpda MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    How would I add the "tail" flash CFG? does this contain any checksum or specific info?

d.

14. stualoo

stualoo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    #35 stualoo, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    I would also like to know about backing up a Phoenix BIOS on a VAIO. Mine also backed up successfully with this wonderful tool, :) but I'm sure it is most likely missing the configuration data too?

I have a VGN-FZ18M with BIOS R0050J7 (also from 2007)... but of course it is not available for download on the Vaio Support site. It would be nice to be able to extract/save/backup the BIOS whole and then apply the SLIC 2.1. Does WinPlash back everything up?

In the meantime, I've emailed Sony asking for the original BIOS, but I'm not holding my breath about them supplying it! :mad:

15. matthews

matthews MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2007
    Nice Tool David thanks.Matt

16. annieannie

annieannie MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2009
    didn't work on my dell latitude E6400, saying "can not identify the BIOS!".
    is it because Dell has some encryption on its bios?

One English grammaer correction: it should be "cannot" and not "can not".

17. deadpda

deadpda MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    There is an English idiom that says "pot calling the kettle black" which pokes fun at someone who criticises someone for a fault they themselves have.

I can't spell (or type) but never-the-less I know that "grammar" is only spelt with no "e".

Also I believe that the programmer may not have English as his/her first language and can be excused a slight variation from conventional English, especially as "can not" and "cannot" are both technically correct.

dead

18. trinaandlee

trinaandlee MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Thank you great tool and great upload

19. superaca

superaca MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    how do I run on Vista asks to run as administrator, it already activated the account administrator and ran as administrator it does not work