Universal MediaCreationTool.bat wrapper for ALL versions (1507 - 21H2)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AveYo, Oct 3, 2018.

1. jaladhjin

jaladhjin MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2013
    Can this be used to upgrade W10 Home to Pro?

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Yes, edition change is a feature. Rename the script from "MediaCreationTool.bat" to "Pro MediaCreationTool.bat" and it will always force upgrade to Pro. It's that simple.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #263 AveYo, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    (OP)
    I have decided to rework the script in order to prevent issues stemming from non-canonical paths i.e. with special characters and accents that ntfs allows, but are particularly bad for scripts.
    Specially when elevation is involved (when even windows itself has troubles handling it).

The updated script I just pushed should work around most issues I've managed to reproduce.
    Now C:\ESD is always used as a work folder, and the original script path is preserved and used when needing to create an iso.
    Some path I've used to run the script from and create iso:
    E:\@DATA\DATA\OLD\TE (S) T\! ` ~ @ % & ( ) [ ] { } + = ; ' ,\! ` ~ @ % & ( ) [ ] { } + = ; ' ,\w t f\MediaCreationTool (3).bat
    ;)

Another notable change is that the script picks up a $ISO$ folder contents to add on the created media (instead of just the $OEM$ previously).
    So if you previously had stuff in $OEM$ folder next to the script, you need to move it inside $ISO$\sources\$OEM$

There's more changes specific to Windows 11 in it's dedicated thread

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    THANK YOU so much for your efforts!

5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    clean-slate stable version up - it's finally in the form I've envisioned it when I started the last rework
    hopefully I haven't misses any outstanding issues and I can go back to once in a blue moon maintenance ;)

6. oceansalt

oceansalt MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2017
    @BAU,

Thanks to the MediaCreationTool.bat, Auto-upgraded the Windows 10 (in a H81 mainboard, i5-4570 CPU) to Windows 11.

While I already had the Win11 WIM file in my disk, I had to wait for MCT to download it.
    Is it possible to start the "auto-upgrade" process by drag-and-drop a WIM/ESD/ISO file onto the MediaCreationTool.bat?

Details:

MCT is always going to download and install the lastest ESD file. However I wanted the existing install.WIM/ESD file on my disk to use it. I've created a symbolic link to the following paths:
    Take no notice of that. MCT persistently downloads the ESD link in CAB->XML it receives from MSoft server.

I'm aware of the extra coding for both file extensions. For install.WIM/ESDs, Dynamic Update needs to be downloaded. For ISO, mounting. (I hope it is possible to MCT detects the sources\Install.wim/esd in mounted without extracting ISO)

Thank you also for the "auto-upgrade" feature and "Auto.cmd". I wish we could use this feature with the drag-and-drop method. It would save time.

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Well, 11 has kinda taken over.

But this script's initial focus was supporting older versions, and I have been busy doing just that.
    May 10th is closing in, and it will ax even more versions. End-Of-Support is not End-Of-Life, tho.
    I've been a strong supporter of running the latest windows for the added security benefits, but I've seen first-hand that it's not always achievable.
    Not all people are gullible idiots. Compensating with stricter online usage can be fine (until it's not :D)
    Anyway, plenty of machines will remain online, that for some reason or other can't upgrade to the newest offer in this accelerated WaaS world.
    20H2 is pushed aggressively on 1507 to 2004 atm, regardless of hardware incompatibilities or - well - user choice.
    20H2 Home and Pro goes EOS May 10th. What then? I can only assume 21H1 takes it's place, but that won't be a bump-less ride (there are still official upgrade holds).

So in the upcoming script update, I'm gonna introduce REJECT FEATURE UPGRADES (and REJECT DRIVERS) even in the policy-crippled Home editions!
    And I'm not using a Sledgehammer to achieve that :p
    Stay tuned!

9. juliamoron

juliamoron MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2022
    Hello, do have an update to upgrade to 22h2?

10. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    So in the upcoming script update, I'm gonna introduce REJECT FEATURE UPGRADES
    And I'm not using a Sledgehammer to achieve that

Explain.. :)

11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #272 AveYo, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    (OP)
  12. _fox_

_fox_ MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2018
    Hey, Windows 10 22h2 is now out, the script doesn't seem to be able to download it, can you update the script?

13. mrbill14

mrbill14 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    Thanks for the tool... awaiting the update for 22H2!

14. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 MDL Junior Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Great tool. I used it before to create a "unsupported" Windows 11 Pro / Edu / Enterprise iso to be used to install on "unsupported" virtual machines.

Patiently waiting for an update to support the 22H2 versions of 10 and 11. Take your time to "perfect" it.

15. pc71520

pc71520 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Has this Tool been Terminated/Discontinued
    or
    Not?

16. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    I'm sure @AveYo will fix it.
    After arrive from Africa or rave party
    Where ever he visit
    Give him time for pleasure too

17. pc71520

pc71520 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I hope so...:pray:

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @AveYo was waiting for a better refresh build for 22621.xxx