Universal MediaCreationTool.bat wrapper for ALL versions (1507 - 21H2)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AveYo, Oct 3, 2018.

1. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    As mentioned above I was aware but thank you nonetheless for reporting it!
    I think I was temporarily banned by microsoft due to too many requests so I could not properly test yesterday.
    But now I have resolved most regressions that happened with the successive major refactoring.
    The code is again stable, works on naked Windows 7 and above.
    Tested many versions and editions combination, should all be fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #123 AveYo, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    mediacreationtool.bat.png

updated 20H2 to 19042.631; fixed pesky 1703 decryption bug on dual x86 + x64; improved cleanup; label includes version
    Many have reported on github about 1703 not working, while it was fine on my end - except I did not test x86 + x64 2in1 - only individually. Horrible oversight.
    Turns out the decryption keys get mismatched in that mode, no matter what gymnastics I did in products.xml - and this happens across multiple mct versions so it's something online.
    Had to revert back to the rtm products.xml - the added Enterprise and Cloud (S) are refreshed, tough. Way too much trouble for an outdated version, but there is still demand..

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @BAU

Although I really want to do that, unfortunately it's not a very good idea to use the revised character limit to save/archive code snippets. Why don't you opt for a shared/self-hosted git instance for maintaining the code?

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    May I ask why, just being curious.

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    @Tito , I do understand the struggles of a site admin - storage is not free, spam bots are a menace, message board software often craps itself etc.
    Yet on the grand scheme, MDL has hundreds of threads so it's not like it matters much saving couple of KBs. While the advantages of a higher character limit (at least for top posts) are multiple, and not just about code snippets, but also for giant overview posts like the ones @Enthousiast puts so much effort in.
    The context now is that most people struggle with searching and aggregating scattered information.

As for external links, I'm not a fan. First, there's no good reason to share admin tweaks and etc. in a compiled or obfuscated form, IMHO. Second,
    3rd-party hosting services can get bought / implement anti-user policies (like the stupid things pastebin has been doing lately). But MDL is eternal
    3rd-party hosted files can be hijacked - there have been plenty malware campaigns injecting popular exe/archives, even list deceiving hashes (not from author)
    3rd-party hosted files divert traffic from MDL (can just bookmark hosted file link) and also cause authors to give less attention to the threads at MDL

I'm actually fine with the current limit since I write the leanest scripts ;) But if I were to follow microsoft style bloat rules..
    Right before clicking post I realized it was probably more of a selfish rant, that I tried spinning as something good for MDL as well ;)

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Mr.X

Because a CMS meant for forums isn't really optimized for code archival with a proper commit history.

@BAU

Allow me some time to have some discussions with other mods.

:)

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @BAU, can't it be compressed into (7)zip or rar and uploaded as attachment to your post?

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    This was about increasing an arbitrary limit on post character count. elsewhere (support/gaming forums etc) this limit was increased over the years (a dxdiag report has been 66KB plus, blocking all telemetry points in 10 around 80KB, a highly formatted overview post can reach it and so on)

I meant well, but on second thought I did back down from the request, since we can always slim code blocks and tank the formatting and descriptions loss or just zip attachments like you say ;)

11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #132 AveYo, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    (OP)
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give forum glue ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

:worthy: Praised be our glorious forum lords! :worthy:
    U p d a t e d + +

And of course, 1703 strikes again!
    rev 1 brings preliminary solution to 1703 and older versions not supporting /MediaEdition switches

12. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    #134 Boops, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  13. skyteddy

skyteddy MDL Senior Member

Dec 22, 2009
  14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #136 AveYo, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    (OP)
    It was reverted, twice ;) so, don't blindly trust github projects, as it's history advantage means nothing when you can retroactively manipulate it with ease ;)
    I finally have some time to test the new version with direct-to-iso feature, and will update both today

edit: sorry, I missed it again. slowly getting back on my feet, and updated both links

15. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    1507-1703 create-iso was bugged, should be fine again. just got a fujitsu-siemens potato in working (office) shape with.. 1703 ;)

16. spanishfly

spanishfly MDL Senior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    #138 spanishfly, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    there's one standalone example here
    rather than go for a gui, I suggest using a workfolder containing the script and a subfolder with the extracted iso files named descriptively, then edit example script above accordingly. its simpler and faster to just click the bat to create the iso after you've modded it. new project? new subfolder, copy of script edited with the new folder names. thats what I do

there's no advantage using dir2iso snippet over oscdimg.exe for personal use, if you have that then use it, there are many scripts for it.
    it's meant for publicly shared scripts needing iso functionality that cant legally bundle oscdimg.exe because microsoft is lame with its licence and often dmca takedowns such bundles

if you really need it, then yes a gui can be adapted for it

18. spanishfly

spanishfly MDL Senior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    #140 spanishfly, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Thank you. It works perfectly (very quick!). I want to apply it in a potentially publicly shared situation, so thanks for reminding us all about your useful script.