[UNSUPPORTED] Open 7 act*vator by Nononsence [revised by HotCarl] ;-)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HotCarl, Oct 29, 2009.

1. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    the cert doesnt get over written. if you already had the cert that matches the slic table installed windows will only recongnize the one that matches....

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #462 Daz, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    @ Carl
    Of course, I was just interested in how you would use it and then expand on that :p

For myself with having pre-activation support and stuff planned such as the stealth loader installer I picked to avoid the feature but with reason. As I'm sure you're aware having pre-activation while good for individual people to use on their personal ISO's it becomes an issue when that ISO is then uploaded to places like BitTorrent with these modifications already installed. Of course if the loader on one of these pre-made ISO's doesn't work in one of the modes then the users going to look around for an activation solution that does work for them and thats then when the problem shows up...

Via the current method I first uninstall *any* loader found on the system before I install my own and then I will install the loader regardless of if the system has SLIC 2.1 already. Why I do it that way is simple though, the loaders SLIC should override the BIOS's SLIC just like it does for people who have had a retail pre-activated Vista and then upgraded to Windows 7. Now via the checkbox selection without the user being aware of what was already on the ISO it's going to install just the certificate & serial (or just the serial) which will have a failed activation result which installing the loader wouldn't have had (unless they needed to switch the loaders mode of course :eek:).

It's good to offer something different though and I can see where your coming from with it, I just don't want to have to remind people again and again that applications don't have to have exactly the same features to be good so while you do have this feature it's not one I'm going to personally work on but I will add other features. So it's not to say it's a bad feature, it is a good feature but I want to put my time into other things :) (this message going to others really, people who may haunt me saying I *have to* add something lol).

As always though keep up the work bud, it's good to see a solid version of the open source project which has expanded so much and props to you for doing it with the college/uni work keeping you busy :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #463 HotCarl, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    (OP)
    @Daz: Thank you very much for the compliments. You are (and have) done a great job yourself... Remember, you were the first basically to provide a loader program that does not use any scripts, in order to provide the best compatibility possible with different setups...and your program is excellent. I have used it many times with great success :D

I just wanted to try to do something a little different...and since my program provides no silent activation support (again, for my own reasons...I know that there are different views on it, but that is what I decided to do...and there is nothing wrong with adding that support if you want to, like Daz did ;)), I at least wanted to make the program a little "smarter". Now, it is not there yet...so don't go testing it quite yet and seeing if it will find the SLIC you have loaded in memory (or loaded via a loader or BIOS mod) and determine the correct vendor and Certificate to install... The auto-settings are just recommended settings at this point until I add the necessary code.
    I just added preliminary support with v1.2.6 to detect the BIOS "vendor" and set the Certificate/SLIC accordingly. Then it checks for the presence of SLIC 2.1 and sets the "Install Key and Cert only" check box if SLIC is detected.

In the next version of the program, I will have the program determine the vendor of the SLIC tables loaded in memory (if SLIC is present), then I will have it either (a) parse tokens.dat and determine the vendor of the Certificate that is installed and if one is installed and the vendor of the Cert matches the vendor of the SLIC, then O7A will check the "Install Product Key only" check box while loading - so when the user clicks [Install] the program will install just the key (the newest key for the user's edition of Windows that matches the SLIC vendor will be installed if one exists)...; or (b) if O7A finds SLIC and determines the vendor, it will automatically set the "SLIC/Certificate" combo box to match the vendor of SLIC (and the "Product Key" combo box if a matching key exists), then O7A will check the "Install Key and Cert only" check box - so when the user clicks [Install] the program will install the matching certificate and key...

...so as you can see this is in store for the next version of O7A. With my time constraints it is difficult to get everything done I want to, but I wanted to release v1.2.6 so people can see the direction that O7A is heading in...and give them something a little newer to play with. :) :D

@tuvi: Thank you for the suggestions, I will evaluate them and see what I can do. As far as the placement of the "Insert SLIC into bootmgr" option, I can move that to the bottom if people would rather see it there.
    As far as: "1) when I click on the Help button, it opens' a window, but there is nothing in it." that is strange...can you open the "Help.htm" file in your web browser? If you can, then it is an issue with my program loading the help file (which would be a first). If you cant open the "Help.htm" file in a web browser then it is an issue with the help file on non-english systems (as if I recall correctly, you have a Hebrew system correct?), and I will have to look into that further to see what I can do to fix it...

4. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    oh noes lol

5. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    eek... I need to delete some PMs I see...oh dear. :p

6. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    i got it sent :D

7. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    HotCarl
    fotget about "1", my mistake, the help files and O7A were not in the same directory.. I thought that I can run your program as standalone EXE and the help and keys will be there.

8. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    OK :)

I didnt include the help files in the executable because they are so big...and O7A will run without them... So I wanted to make it so that someone could just quickly copy the .exe file to disk if they know what they are doing and just want to activate Windows...

The keys.ini file is internal though, so if you copy just O7A's .exe file to a flash drive or something, O7A will automatically re-create the keys.ini file and use it... It is just that the help files are so darn big... :p
    (Also, if you copy just O7A's exe file to a read-only disk, if O7A cannot create the "keys.ini" file then it will default to it's internal keys list (which is the same as the list in the "keys.ini" that came with O7A)... :) ;))

I am glad it is working correctly. Thank you for trying O7A out! :D :D :)

9. carfal

carfal MDL Junior Member

Sep 24, 2009
    @DAZ
    Yes, a while back I was chasing my tail there by trying to activate W7 using your loader. All modes seemed to fail. Unfortunately you dont have the option to install "slic in bootmgr" to test out. Thats OK. Om Dhar's loader did the trick and now HotCarl has "fixed" his loader so that it installs without effecting FD-ISR as well. :D

Neither loaders provide encryption yet but im sure its only a matter of time.

I think that if your loader provided the "slic in bootmgr" option it would give users another way to activate their Windows in case the Grldr method doesnt work as in my case. I think i've read in the past that your not fond of this method because of its inherent problems but from what i've been reading about the Grldr method, it too can cause issues with booting when an install goes wrong. Sorry this is just my lame opinion. I respect the decision you made not to include this option and in any event, if people cant activate using the Grldr method, then use another loader that offers the "slic in bootmgr" method as i have done. :) This is the beauty of different feature offerings.

Thankyou for your support with my issue with FD -ISR.

10. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's funny, the file I have uploaded here is actually the wrong one and iv only just noticed now that I'm on my laptop. In my final version I had just 2 files, bootmgr and bootwin... later on I will send you a PM with a different version if you'd like to try.

With the boot manager mod I have never really been a huge fan of it as it kind of requires a specific setup in order to work, it is an option but theres still another activation system I'm working on that should work on all systems with full activation status without modifying or touching any system files ;)

I wouldn't hold your breath for an encrypted bootmgr though, see with it being MS's own nobody has the source to work from so no fresh code can be added to support encryption :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. carfal

carfal MDL Junior Member

Sep 24, 2009
    @DAZ

Yes i would like to try the new bootmgr version so please, PM me when your ready:)

Your new activation method sounds like another great innovation from you. Cant wait to try it!

The encrypted bootmgr thing isn't really a big deal. I've said before that i've used the bootmgr method with Vista since the beginning of time and MS have yet to block it!:D:D

12. andygr

andygr MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    How can grub loader process my own menu.lst

Question: I’m looking for an option/way to have my own menu.lst processed by the modified grub loader. Is this possible with O7A (some hidden option or loader option)? Reason for asking: I’m still using the ‘insert slic into bootmgr’ option together with the unmodded 0.4.4 grub loader. This works great except win7 gets unactivated after sleep/hibernates.
    Sorry for asking if this has already been discussed but you people are so friendly – I’m sure you don’t mind.

13. carfal

carfal MDL Junior Member

Sep 24, 2009
    #473 carfal, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    @HotCarl and DAZ

Just wanted to give a public acknowlegement for all the great effort and support that HotCarl and DAZ have provided in helping me with my FD-ISR problem.

HotCarl came through with a new "/noboot" command line switch for his application and DAZ has quietly been working in the background with me to help test a custom bootmgr file that he prepared specially for me and as a result may now work on implimenting the workaround into his own application.

So guys you are the best as far as im concerned and a very big THANKYOU to both of you. :D:D

PS I'll post this on DAZ's forum as well :p

14. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    Thank you very much for the support! ...and thank you very much for trying O7A! :D :D :D

15. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #475 HotCarl, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    (OP)
    Posted new version 1.2.7 in OP:

*1.2.7:
    ---Made O7A "smarter" - now when O7A loads up it will try to detect if the user's system already has the required SLIC 2.1. If the user's system has SLIC 2.1, O7A will detect the vendor of the SLIC and set the "SLIC/Certificate" combo box to match the SLIC. O7A will also automatically check the "Install Key and Cert only" check box, since the SLIC 2.1 is already present, we only need to install the matching certificate and a matching product key (if one exists). This way we avoid the unnecessary installation of a loader file. If O7A finds valid SLIC 2.1 but cannot locate a matching certificate internally, O7A will check the "Install Product Key only" check box (and must assume a proper certificate is already installed) so that only a product key will be installed because we do not want to risk installing a mis-matched certificate. The user always has the option to click on the "Advanced Options" and install a custom certificate that matches the vendor of their SLIC 2.1... ;-)
    ---Also added various other checks into O7A to ensure that the user doesn't do something that harms their activation.

So hopefully everything works well. I basically modified things so that if SLIC is present, the "SLIC/Certificate" combo box is set to match the SLIC. If SLIC 2.1 is present then the "Install Key and Certificate only" check box will be selected as well when O7A loads... If no SLIC is present then the BIOS vendor will be used to set the "SLIC/Certificate" combo box, but the "Install Key and Cert only" check box will not be checked. If O7A finds SLIC 2.1 but doesnt have a matching certificate internally, O7A will check the "Install Product Key only" option so only the key will be installed, as we don't want to install the wrong certificate... (and the user always has the option of installing a custom certificate in O7A's advanced options)
    ...so basically O7A *should* detect the best recommended settings for your Windows/computer on load... ;) :D :)

16. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    really great work man!!

will test it this week.

17. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    Thank you :D :)

18. omdhar

omdhar MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    #478 omdhar, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    If I am correct, last two update of yours, 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 was already there in omdhar's vista7 slic ldr 2.3.8 added a more than 10 days ago except that OEMdump by masterdisaster. Only difference I feels is you made detail brief whereas omdhar not.;)

19. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    And your point is....

omdar's loader is filled with hacked together pieces of code from different places. I have the source code to it right here. I also have the source to carl's loader. Carl's one is better programmed, more functional and featured, and generally all round better. Carl also does most of the code himself, whereas PMR tends to do the code for omdhar

20. omdhar

omdhar MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    #480 omdhar, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    I agree to with you in point that hotcarl's himself is hardcoder:welcome: and error checking features are very nice. His work is appreciated. I never shared source with PMR before all the features have been added. Yes, i have given him only lately my source because of his repeated request:eek:. PMR contribution is appreciated. He shared to me five lines of his own ldr code on guid path and finally he on is own shared full source of his ldr's code. It helped me to add random named grldr. Another person, most important in appreciation are nononsence for his initial source code and masterdisaster for slic info. That's all. Nobody has modded vista7 slic ldr source for me. Lastly, I until now have not shared source with you. Oh, is it reflector.;);)