[UNSUPPORTED] Open 7 act*vator by Nononsence [revised by HotCarl] ;-)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HotCarl, Oct 29, 2009.

1. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    its posted in the OEM driver thread... it patches driver with the selected slic then installs it

2. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    thank you PAYMYRENT.
    will test it out.

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #523 Daz, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    @ tuvi
    That's not exactly correct btw, about the watermark. Some systems need both the DLL and command issued, that is what the patcher application does when it runs.

I did reply to you in my thread but there was a few replies since and I don't know if you missed it so I will quote it here.
    A totally different reply to Carl but personally I think too many options just confuse people, plus I think it's best to have a separate application (PAYMYRENT'S) that people can go to if they want to test out a driver solution.

The current issue with the GRUB setup is compatibility, it just needs to be improved a little more to support different setups. Then of course theres the very few machines it simply won't run on but then thats where Chew-WGA and RemoveWAT come in, both have the standing power a driver based loader arguably would. But as I said in my reply anything on a mass public scale is at risk of getting blocked but anything thats kept private (my own driver) should continue to always work since it's setup and file structure is totally different.

I think secr9tos & PAYMYRENT could just improve on whats already there, theres just no point in reinventing the wheel in my opinion. It would be like me copying what Hazar does in RemoveWAT just because thats a solution that works on all systems... I would just rather say "Hey, Hazar has something that may solve your problem, check out RemoveWAT".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Basically if the driver turns into a rootkit like dirver ( fs-filter ) it would be in "stealth-mode" but this is also no 100% protection from getting detected. I mean I know that I somehow reinvent the wheel but hey my project is open-source which are the others not so.. my only intention is to share information 'cause knowledge is the property of everyone in some way. Maybe I've this attitude 'cause I love the idea of Linux but... nevermind

5. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ secr9tos
    I don't mean you reinventing the wheel, I mean for the existing applications such as Carls, Omdhars or even my own. If each of us add in this method too then whats the point in PAYMYRENT's standalone version is what I mean... I think it's just easier for users to use 1 application thats designed to do the one thing and just be good at that one thing. That's why rather than me adding in what RemoveWAT does I tell people to check out Hazar's work, much like I can tell people to check out the clean application PAYMYRENT has already done for your driver ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    k I got that "reinventing thing" wrong, sry but I fully agree with ur point of view about PAYMYRENTs work.

7. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #527 tuvi123, Jan 25, 2010
    Daz
    I don't agree with you.
    to some users a driver may work whereas grub based loaders may not and vice versa (like in my case)
    this is way it's is better to have both in 1 application.
    but I agree that the grub based option should be the default, if it does not work then the user will change loader MODE, and if all the modes does not work then
    the user will have the option to change the install mode to "Driver" because it may work for him, and if it still does not work for him then he will have to use removewat/chewwga or do a bios mode.
    I even rememver someone who had SLIC 2.0 in the bios, and the grub based loader did not work for hiim (his system has some problem with grub4dos 4) BUT the "slic in BOOTMGR" option DID work for him.
    we are talking about microsoft Offline SLP activation
    removewat and chew wga do entirely different thing and they should be separated.
    and btw:
    PAYMYRENT tool is not standalone for driver, it has option to install grub based loader.

8. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Excellent loader Carl :cool:

Btw: I agree with Daz. You choose the best tool for the job, and separating those tools is a good thing imo.

9. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #529 Daz, Jan 25, 2010
    @ tuvi
    Having both in one application confuses people, heck even having BIOS mod options along with loader options already gets questions (just look at my thread!).

As for the bootmgr mod that again was someone elses work which everyone seemed to jump on without even asking the guy. There was a catch to it too, it only works on systems with an existing SLIC 2.0 in place. Nobody has since tested if the loader works and back then the loader modes were not even offered to the user so if it didn't work you was just out of luck, this isn't the case now though.

The application by PAYMYRENT is whats advertised as the driver installer, it does just that without any bonus options other than the basic install of GRUB. I just think it's easier for the users to point people to that one application thats designed for it rather than everyone adding driver support to their applications just because it's "the new thing". My argument about ChewWGA and RemoveWAT applies all the same though, they work different to how a loader does but they still give the system a form of activation.

I would just rather give credit to sec9tos and point people his way, if people want to juggle activation solutions into one application then that's their choice but I would personally rather stick to the one thing and make that one thing work the best I can.

10. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    It's nice to see others try to improve upon what's available. I personally haven't used your loader since I've activated others using Daz Loader and 7Loader but hopefully your version will address features missing in the other loaders. Good luck!!!!

11. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    #532 PAYMYRENT, Jan 25, 2010
    it only has that option to do that just in case

A> the driver fails

or

B> the loader fails

and in your case the driver didnt work

so you used a loader to post slic toolkit output in the driver thread

12. sonic_8400

sonic_8400 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Thank for the loader.

13. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    PAYMYRENT
    that is exactly my point, that both options should be in the same application like you did.
    Daz
    not becasue it's "the new thing" but because it may work for users whereas loader may not.
    I do believe that there are some systems that DON'T "like" grub4does, a grub based loader will simply not work for them, in this case a driver will may work and this is why we should have this option in the same application.
    most users will just need to click "install" (the grub based loader will be the default).
    loader mods also confuse people, but a different loader mode may be the only mode tha will work for some systems.
    Hotcarl program is already has a lot of different advanced options, so I don't think there is a reason not to add driver support to his program, espaciially that it's directly related to success of activation on some weird systems that don't work with grub4dos.
    also on x86 there is not any test mode watermark, it's only on x64.
    btw-
    you mention that you have your driver based loader..
    when will you release it (also when v1.7.8 will come out) ? ;)
    when it's ready, please pm me link, I want to beta test it on my machines.
    Hazar
    thank you for the info and your patch.

14. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    #535 PAYMYRENT, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    HotCarl's loader has a failsafe

bootmgr lol

on my system the only thing that works right is a bios mod

so are you going to ask to package a bios mod with the apps to?

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ tuvi
    But that's just it, all I have to do is tell people to check out sec9tos's thread where an existing solution can already be found. That then means the user gets activated with no fuss or worrying about if they selected the correct option.

I mean whats the point in adding it when you can point someone to a working solution already? I don't want to add stuff just to say I can do that too and then become less focused on GRUB, I just want to stick to the one thing and make it work even better but that can't be done when you got too much on your plate. I just think it's easier for people to pick an application that works best for them rather than trying to make one that does everything which will only end up with more bugs, more setup issues and even more headaches for users having to dig through menu's.

Anyway, the next version of my application will be out in a few weeks probably. Theres allot I'm tweaking and moving around just to work that little bit better and of course the new options require me to do allot of testing since I have recoded a large portion of the program.

The driver I got though I don't think I will ever make public, theres just no point while the loader works and then even if the loader stops working I would try to get it working again before making the driver public. Besides how it works is not a whole lot different then how sec9tos's does and hes giving the source out with his too.

16. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Agree with Daz 100% -stick to what works and perfect it - else you end up not only with bloat but a maintenance headache - take Nero for eg. they turned a useful app into a humongous load of crap - Adobe did the same with acrobat!

17. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    There is no need to make an unique installer for all "solutions". Every dev should stay focused so that the overall quality increases.

18. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Hotcarl,
    Thanks used your activator on a MSI with flashed BIOS, it was so easy and user friendly. Keep up the good work, especially keeping it updated with the latest available OEM data as it becomes available.

19. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just reinstalled 32 bit as I was not 100% happy with 64 bit. As usual your activator worked perfectly - 1 click - many thanks. Not sure why your activator is not listed as 100%, works for me.