[UNSUPPORTED] Open 7 act*vator by Nononsence [revised by HotCarl] ;-)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HotCarl, Oct 29, 2009.

1. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009

That is odd, I will look into it. I don't know how an unhandled exception managed to get past the goalie, but I'll figure it out for 1.0.9.
    I assume since the exception was unhandled that there is no error event in O7A's error log? (in your temp folder, if you dont know which is your temp folder, open cmd.exe and type "echo %TEMP%" and hit enter)

Strange that I have no problems with it on my PC in the testing I have done. No matter, I will fix it before the next release.

Thanks for the bug report. :)

2. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    im my experiences with vb.net the system.invalidoperation is caused by a backgroundworker :p

3. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009

Well, I don't think that is it because I dont use a background worker on load...but thank you for the suggestion.
    I went through and tested it to the best of my ability and found no exception, so I added some more error handling in some other places so I can trap it if it occurs again (as I cannot duplicate what you are experiencing, but I will keep trying to make it crash so I can find any faults). :)

4. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    how do you get the activation status?

5. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #105 HotCarl, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    (OP)

I use a loop (hence the status bar & splash screen) because the background worker has caused issues for me on load in the past, like you noted above, so I dont use it there. ;)

For Each objMgmt In LicenseStatus.Get

EDIT: And I have always had everything that is on load encapsulated in multiple try...catch statements, so I dont see how he could have gotten an unhandled exception on load...

6. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    illegal cross thread calls cause a system.invalidoperation execption thats why i asked :p

i have a server 2008 r2 vm laying around here somewhere so i can test it but i dont know why it would be different then running it on windows 7

7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009

I dont know why either, and no one else has had an issue (or at least no one has said anything...) so I am beginning to think that it is specific to his machine.

I forgot to ask if he was running a 64-bit copy of windows...because the only other time I have seen an error like that on load in VB.NET (that I couldnt explain) is when reading in a database on load...and I had to set the advanced compile options > target CPU to x86 to force it to run 32-bit mode on the 64-bit machine to get rid of it... But that would not matter in this case. *shrug*

8. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    i thought r2 was 64bit only

9. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    you need to downgrade the app to .net 2.0, sever does not ship with .net 3.5

10. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. :)

11. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    @nononsence

then why did my token restore program (targets 3.5) work on server r2 with no problems?

12. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I don't know I had the same problem when I added server support to my things. I noticed
    the .net miss match and rebuilt to .net 2.0 and the crash stopped happening I also had
    to change the key input code a tiny bit from count > length and remove a few references.

13. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    its so weird because i never changed the core of my app all i did was take the decode digital product id out of my app and it worked fine :p oh well i guess i got lucky with that one

14. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    It may work if you don't have any code that needs .net 3.5 in the app. I always thought
    the user was prompted to install the needed version of .net if it wasnt all ready installed
    not just crash.

15. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009

Thank you for the clarification. I bolded the reminder on the OP that says to ensure that you have the most recent .NET framework installed (v3.5) if you have Windows Server 2008 R2.

Seeing as how it is only Windows Server 2008 R2 family that does not ship with .NET framework, I don't think it is a big deal to require that those users update their .NET first...it is probably a good idea to have the most recent version anyway. :)

16. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    if you like my key checker you can use the full code in this if you want. its all good with me i was bored and i wanted to see if it would work right

17. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #117 HotCarl, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    (OP)

Possibly in the future if I ever decide to expand the supported operating systems for O7A. The PID checker only really needs to check Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 keys...and it seems to do that just fine in my tests, although it could be nice to have it check for other types of keys as well (for FYI purposes for the end user).

Its up to you, if you want to share your source, then I would be happy to look at it (I don't like copy and pasting code, but I do like seeing how others have implemented certain ideas)...but I probably couldn't do anything with it until Friday because I as so darn busy this week (college, work, and Modern Warfare 2 just came out :eek:). :eek:

But feel free to PM me a link and I will try to take a look at it asap. Thanks. :)

18. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    #118 PAYMYRENT, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  19. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009

Right on, I will save it to the HD and look at it as soon as I can. :)

20. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    like i said its all good with me and pm me with any questions. im working on converting it all to C# for FreeStyler. :p i hope it works out for you