Update from Windows 10 to 11, Windows Defender problem

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by sacarias, Apr 13, 2022.

1. sacarias

sacarias MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I think it's already very well known, but when updating from Windows 10 to 11 via Windows Update, Windows Defender always breaks.

I try opening it and I get
    "You'll need a new app to open this ... link"
    And even searching in Microsoft Store gives nothing at all.

So I try PowerShell with this:
    Code:
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage
    And get this:
    Code:
    Reset-AppxPackage : Package was not found.
    Windows cannot remove Microsoft.SecHealthUI_1000.22000.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe because the current user does not
    have that package installed. Use Get-AppxPackage to see the list of packages installed.
    Only thing currently working for me for now is this:
    Code:
    Add-AppxPackage -disabledevelopmentmode -register ((Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml')
    But it has to be run on *each* freaking user, and each one must be administrator on their own, otherwise it does nothing!
    Because the "AllUsers" option seems to *not* work at all.

I was asked to update many PCs, and doing all of this like this is no longer practical.

Isn't there a better solution for all of this yet?

Thanks beforehand.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 Enthousiast, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Never seen this happen on public/retail channel builds, only with dev channel 22563 and up releases this was happening and that has been fixed too (now all apps are integrated at ISO creation from UUP dump).

3. TooN0ble

TooN0ble MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2015
    I experienced this same issue today also after upgrading from Windows 10 latest version to a Windows 11 April 2022 iso I made with UUPDump. I didnt do a fresh install, just upgrade over Windows 10. I did a number of things that were suggested, but I think the thing that ended up fixing it, was going to Settings/Accounts and there was a box there that said I wasnt fully signed in. I signed in and then tried the command Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage in Powershell again and it accepted it with no error message this time. Hopefully this helps you. By the way I also noticed Terminal wasnt working either. I had to download the preview and that fixed it.

4. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    We don't use MS accounts at all; just local ones. So unfortunately that "fix" doesn't apply to this case.
    Also, if with "Terminal" you mean CMD, I just opened it and it seems to work...

So in the end, must I understand there's no solution?

5. boe323

boe323 MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2011
    #5 boe323, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose} You mght want to close file explorer while this is running, After you need to create new task explorer without admin rights. Give the system a 1 min to update packages before you start explorer

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} If windows security is in the system it will install it, many times it could be just laying dormant having not been registered

6. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    Thanks, but none of them worked...

Just if I was not clear before, symptom is: after update only admin user still has working Windows Defender GUI; all other non-admin users have the "You'll need a new app to open this ... link" issue when trying to open it.

By chance, any other possible advise?

Thanks again.