Update Gateway BIOS to run EVGA GTX 750 TI SC - PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Merllin, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Merllin

Merllin MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2014
    System:

Gateway DX4380-EC031P (Prebuild System)
    AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Acer Motherboard (AMI)
    PSU: Upgraded to 525W

How it started:

I am looking to install a EVGA GTX 750 TI SC video card (does not need external power) into my Gateway system. I had seen the reviews online showing it could be a good way to enhance a prebuilt system so I figured Id give it a try.

I uninstalled all the ATI drivers from my computer and removed the HD 7670 card (Note: The BIOS had no option of disabling the integrated graphics, it seems to be automatic when a card is installed in the PCI. I tested this by plugging the HDMI into the mobo port and there was no signal)

I installed the GTX 750 TI SC in my computer and booted it up.

The computer loads the POST screen and will allow me to hit Del or F12 (it will also beep once). From there, it will hang up and go to a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

Blank screen with blinking cursor and failure to boot. Card is powered up, fan is spinning. Something isn't letting it boot. I have checked to make sure it wasn't a bad PCI port by reinstalling the old card and it works fine.

Thought it may have been the stock 300W power supply so I upgraded it to a 525W with enough amps on each 12V rail.

Next, I have read that the BIOS needs to be updated on the machines for this card to work properly. It looks like numerous people have cured this issue with a new BIOS flash. The current Gateway BIOS on the system is P01.A1 (06/14/2012).

I went to Gateway's support page to get the recommended BIOS and there are multiple versions. Gateways BIOS are updated by running a BIOS_WIN.bat file with the required ROM file. One thing I noticed was that only one BIOS on the list used a .ROM file. All the others are using .CAP files.

The only BIOS listing a .ROM file is the BIOS I have currently, but I updated with it anyways to check and it does do the update properly. When I try to run one of the newer versions (which reference .CAP Files), I get a the error "4- Error ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID". I feel like there is an issue with trying to update with .CAP files.

Also, I have created a FAT32 USB stick and tried loading the BIOS through DOS and I receive the same ROMID error.

Please note, I am following the Gateway Readme file (Afuwinx64, BIOS_Win, DOS_Win, etc)

When running the AFUwinx64 command, it brings up the command prompt but will not allow me to enter anything. Pressing any key closes the window.

So I have two problems.

One: the video card wont work as the system currently sits.
    Two: I am unable to update the Gateway BIOS to a newer version

Things confirmed:

• Power supply has been upgraded
    • Old drivers are uninstalled
    • PCI slot is confirmed to work
    • Integrated graphics is automatically disabled

Is this video card compatible with this motherboard?
    Has anyone flashed a Gateway BIOS successfully? I have read about this problem with others but no solutions were given.
    Is there a compatible ACER BIOS that I could substitute in?
    Is the video card faulty?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations. I don't really know a whole lot about this kind of thing and I am really only going by what I have read.

Any help would be appreciated.