update KB2032276 causes watermark

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GideonX, Jul 14, 2010.

1. parura

parura MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2010
    There is something with this update. I have applied it, rebooted and then black screen with cursor (no login screen).
    MS workaround for this problem is to re-install the system!!!!
    No way!
    After over an hour of struggling to bring my system back to working there was only one thing left - replace registry(system, software) from RegBack
    Ufff...it worked! Even then I had enough courage to apply this patch again.
    Second time all went well!!

2. Freakish

Freakish MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    I can can confirm with the OP that this is an issue... I'm no longer activated, and now have the Watermark...

It did not appear after SP1 was installed, ONLY after the separate update from Windows update I did afterwards. After restarting my desktop has the watermark and DAZ 1.86 is no longer listed as activated.

So avoid that update after SP1.

I did a System Restore, and it did not fix the problem..... What do i do to reactivate and remove the evaluation watermark?

3. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I guess u may use RemoweWat temporarily till the problem will not fixed.

Maybe M$ starting put hidden WAT updates to common updates?

Thank god I'm having bullet-proof BIOS mod.

4. Nemes

Nemes MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I can also confirm that KB2032276 seems to have tripped up Windows. Roughly 9 hours after I installed it and the monthly MSRT (note, I did not install SP1), I came back to find my BIOS-modded desktop claiming it was unactivated. Deactivating it and reactivating it with a different key seems to have done the trick for now, but there seems to be a timebomb component at work here.

5. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    Good morning,

I'm sorry, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with this. The system had been restarted after the installation of the service pack. In fact, the system reboots on it's own 3 times before the installation of the service pack is complete. Anyone that has any familiarity with software / hardware installation on a PC knows that a restart is required for proper system loading, as many system level files cannot be updated while those files are in use. Those files are updated during the subsequent reboot process.

As I stated before, the SP did put the OS into Evaluation mode, but did not, repeat...did not, watermark the desktop. Even after numerous system restarts. The watermark did not appear until after the installation of KB2032276. Thanks for your time.

Gideon

6. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    From a troubleshooting point of view, this would solve nothing.

7. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    I think train left the station, but you failed to get aboard. The issue isn't the evaluation status that the SP Beta puts your OS in. That much we know, and accept. The issue is the fact that update KB2032276 is watermarking (some) systems that DO NOT have the SP installed. Please, try and keep up.

8. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
  9. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    I didn't post an opinion, I posted a fact. I have made it perfectly clear that I knew exactly what I was installing on my system. I again wonder if you have read this entire thread.

10. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    #31 Bosh, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah right

I just realize that you haven't been nice with others posts too so I'm not offended. And the fact is that KB2032276 does not cause watermark.

Canonical Display Drivers has nothing to do with activation, AND THAT IS A FACT.

Now you have taken away my will to help. Have a nice day.

11. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    Cdd.dll may not have anything to do with activation directly, but it may be interacting with certain parts of the activation scheme, for unknown reasons, on certain hardware/software configurations in a negative way. Can you dissect that .dll and tell me exactly what it is hooking and/or interacting with? Do you have a clear understanding of how graphics drivers work within Windows 7, and the exact interaction of said drivers with cdd.dll? The cdd.dll & activation are unrelated, yes. Is it possible that there is a bug? Indeed. It is common knowledge that software does not always react the same way on different systems. The are many variables. That is illustrated by other posters on this thread commenting about having similar issues. The fact that others have said that they are having no issues reinforces the different hardware /software aspect. If I tell you that the update watermarked the (my) desktop, then others tell you the same thing, that is indication, in my humble opinion anyway, that there might be an issue. There is another thread open right now in regards to this update that is completely unrelated to anything in this thread. That again reinforces the fact that there may be an issue with this update and how it is interacting with certain hardware/software configurations.

Regarding my demeanor... I react to snarky comments, most people do. Assumption is the mother of all mistakes (paraphrased)

Good day to you as well.

12. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I installed the SP1 beta, have the watermark but it doesn't do anything, doesn't hurt anything, kind of used to it from beta testing OS's and service packs. Doesn't hurt anything and I don't understand why people feel the need to remove it or get upset when it is there. Just part of the beta.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Yea no stress necessary for SP1 beta watermark and how have you been haven't seen you for a while dude ;)

14. krackzer

krackzer MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button.

2. In the search box, type command prompt.

3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Type the following: wusa.exe /uninstall /KB:2032276

5. Press Enter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Been doing fine, enjoying the summer. :)