Update KB2902892 on windows 8.1 pro x64

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by anOwander, Oct 30, 2013.

1. anOwander

anOwander MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    The update KB2902892 screwed up my windows. After install and restart the non-unicode characters like Japanese and chinese became squares in apps like winamp and dota 2. Uninstall then restart and everything is back to normal. I'm using windows 8.1 pro x64 and never use Skype anyway. So I suggest you stay away from it if you were like me. If it's only my problem please tell me how to fix it.
    About setting non-unicode display into Japanese solve this problem but then windows update will install a whole bunch of new updates that make my PC slow down, I already experienced it in windows 7 and 8, so this is not the solution for me.
    Thank you.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    You should avoid to post 2x the same question on different threads, answer will not be quicker ;)

3. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    If selecting Japanese as the language for non-unicode programs, along with Windows Updates cause you problem (i.e., slow-downs), your system has issues. I have several system with various Asian languages for non-unicode programs with all the windows updates but have no issues whatsoever. Have never experienced any slow-downs even in Windows 7.

4. anOwander

anOwander MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    #4 anOwander, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for the advice. I know that, but I thought the 1st post I made in that topic is wrong because I only see people post update link there, so I made this new topic. I will try to avoid that.
    The new update is only appear after I change the non-unicode display from english to japanese. If I remember correctly it was some update about .NET 3.5 adn 4.0 and some other windows updates and security. It happened on my old windows 7 and a newly install windows 7 and windows 8, so I don't think it's because of my OS. It's slowed down in various way, like network slower and apps running slower...
    I still don't know why KB2902892 mess up with my non-unicode display. And if it does nothing but fix the crash of Skype then I'll just ignore it completely.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you change your language after applying certain kbfiles, you would need to re-download them from Windows Update.
    This is because some kbfiles patch certain localized files.

If you changed language before patching, it would likely not cause any problems.

6. anOwander

anOwander MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    I see, that give light in some corners. I'll remember that next time I install a new OS. But again, I don't have any reason to change the language for non-unicode programs if windows already display it right.

After installed KB2902892 and restart as it's required, the Japanese and chinese characters become squares. I solved the problem by changing the language for non-unicode programs into Japanese then restart. Windows Update found new updates and installed them since then my PC started slowing down. So as you suggest, I should uninstall all of the updates and then check for update again, maybe that should solve my slow down problem. Thanks.

I still really want to know why that KB2902892 made my Japanese and chinese character into square in the first place.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It's probably loading the wrong data. When they patch localized data, the data doesn't always stay in the same place.
    I'm not sure if you need to uninstall the existing kbfile to download the newly localized versions.
    It should detect that the update is needed.
    Just run wuapp.exe and check for updates.