[Update] Realtek High Definition Audio

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by stasio, Nov 30, 2016.

1. whatever127

whatever127 MDL PHP Wizard

Nov 9, 2012
    #21 whatever127, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ mkuba50 thanks dude for update downloading now :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. whatever127

Nov 9, 2012
    #23 whatever127, Jul 30, 2017

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ stasio very thanks for update dude :)

5. whatever127

Nov 9, 2012
    #27 whatever127, Aug 25, 2017

6. whatever127

Nov 9, 2012
    #28 whatever127, Aug 31, 2017

7. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i like that they finally fixed the issue where if you went to audio properties the windows audio service would fail and your audio would stop working. i was using an old driver for months and only just updated again.
    (not sure when they fixed that issue though...)

8. stasio

stasio MDL Expert

May 3, 2007
  9. stasio

stasio MDL Expert

May 3, 2007
  10. forthelulz

forthelulz MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2017
    I have an old desktop computer with realtek audio drivers, you know with it's brown/orange sound icon on the taskbar.

Would those drivers you share work with any computer which already has an old realtek driver?

11. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Worked fine on my sandybridge box.

Charl

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Beginners Question:

When installing my Win7 I (a non-Gamer) realized that for my NVidia Videocard I can use NVidia, or Realtek or (I may remember this wrongly) an Intel driver.
    Given that there is basically trouble after any NVdia update: Which of the three, or any other is the most recommendable one?

Thanks

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Is this for a notebook? Many use both Intel and Nvidia & switch when an app needs performance. In this case you would need both the Intel and Nvidia driver.
    Most manufacturers are using Realtek chip for audio so you would also need the Realtek HDA driver as well...

14. Korvar

Korvar MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2016
    The short answer is that you always want to match the driver to the hardware.

If you are using a Realtek sound device which is integrated into your motherboard, then you'll want to use a Realtek driver.

The nVidia audio driver will only be for the HDMI port(s) on your video card; for instance, if you wanted to use a TV (which has an HDMI port and its own speakers) as a secondary monitor, then the nVidia card could pump both audio and video to the TV via the HDMI cable. That would allow you to, for instance, watch movies using the screen and speakers of the TV. It would keep the TV somewhat separate from the computer - you could mute just the TV via the audio controls on your computer while maintaining your primary computer audio. Most computer monitors don't have integrated speakers, so the HDMI audio driver is only required if you're actually using HDMI audio. On my system, I usually go ahead and install the nVidia HDMI audio drivers but then disable it as a device in the "Sound" menu (right-click the sound icon in the task tray and then click on "Playback devices"), as I currently do not use HDMI audio. Then if I suddenly had a need for HDMI audio, it will already be installed - I would just need to take a few seconds to re-enable it.

The Intel drivers are a bit trickier as Intel makes both integrated video and audio devices. Your system could have an integrated Intel video device and/or an integrated Intel audio device. For an Intel video device, you'll have the Intel video drivers themselves (typically the device will be called something like "Intel HD Graphics"), and then you could also have the Intel HDMI audio drivers (typically called "Intel Display Audio"). If its an audio only device, it will have a name like "Intel HD Audio".

To summarize, the possibilities are:
    integrated Intel video: Intel video driver + (possibly) Intel HDMI audio driver (for use with motherboard HDMI port only)
    nVidia video card: nVidia video driver + nVidia HDMI audio driver (for use with the nVidia card's HDMI port only)
    Realtek audio: Realtek audio driver
    Intel audio: Intel HD Audio driver​
    *typically you'll only have EITHER a Realtek audio or Intel audio, not both. Since the nVidia card is likely a separate card (i.e. not integrated into the motherboard itself), it is possible to have BOTH nVidia and Intel video. The Intel video is typically disabled when a dedicated nVidia card is installed, unless it is needed for an extra monitor (older nVidia cards only supported up to two monitors, so if you wanted to use a 3rd monitor, you'd have to use the integrated Intel video as well).

15. EaglePC

EaglePC MDL Expert

Feb 13, 2012
    DriverVer=10/03/2017, 6.0.1.8264 is keeper enjoy the sound after a year try to get dolby and dts it is back on my asus rampage 10 edition motherboard using Win 10 1709