updating from permanent bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by intro, Dec 6, 2012.

1. intro

intro MDL Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Hi if someone has a modded permanent bios and then decides to flash the bios with a newer version from the manufacturer will it always keep the slic 2.1 or will the new flash bring it back to original. Btw I got the modded asus p8z77 v le v0705 from here but don't really know if its permanent or not. Asus has a newer version 0706 on there site and i was going to update it but not sure about which mod i have atm--thx for any help

2. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    The SLIC 2.1 signature will not be carried along to the newer BIOS. You will have to mod the newer version in order to get the 2.1 signature in it. I suggest you first flash your BIOS with the original newer version, then the modded. In case they updated the boot block.

3. intro

intro MDL Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Thx for the info but just out of curiosity am I right to assume that the boot block is there for crash recovery? If I'm updating the bios and it craps out while writing the new boot block wont that corrupt it and therefore not have crash recovery available?

4. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    It varies. Some flashers don't have options wheteher to flash the bootblock or not. Yes, theoretically your system could crash at the very moment the bootblock is written to, but the probability for that is very low.

From earlier experiences I follow these steps;

1. Find out about crash recovery for the actual system. This is hopefully a wasted effort. Like defense spending hopefully is for a country. Since I work with other people's computers, this mostly wasted effort is still cheaper than having to buy new hardware for them or lose my good IT-wizard reputation in the community. So I prepare for crash recovery before the crash happens. This normally takes more time than the actual BIOS flashing.

2. Backup the existing BIOS, or find its equivalent on the web.

3. Upgrade the BIOS with the new ORIGINAL version of the BIOS.

4. Check that everything seems OK with the newer original BIOS. Meaning just a normal system startup.

5. Flashing the newer modified BIOS.