Upgrade 7100 to 7600 fails on copying user's files/settings to disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tellet, May 21, 2011.

1. tellet

tellet MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    First of all, it's my first post so Hi all!
    I was using 7100, but since clicking "apply security exception" in firefox got boring (due to 2009 date) i 've decided to upgrade to 7600 (Am I right that RTM doesn't have end_of_evaluation_period bsod ?)
    So, I've downloaded torrent from this site (x86 w7 ultimate rtm), then the iso. I've changed cversion.ini and burned the iso on dvd-rw.

First thing that looks bad is that system says it's empty. On virtual pc with same system looks normal( 0/2.32gb free) and upgrades well.

It starts normally, but on the last step- copying user's files/settings and third thing that I didn't remember when it reaches, let's say 64%, pc restarts and says the upgrade was not successful and it's reverting back to previous( 7100) version..

I think it's because of the crack's/ patches I've installed- timernuke, chew-wga and remove wat.
    Two of them, timernuke and chew wga i've already uninstalled but i don't know how to rollback remove wat.
    Or maybe it's because of date? I don't know, do you have any ideas how to solve it?

Clean install is an option, but I'd like not to do this, 'coz I have tons of files on this disc and don't want to lose them.

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I understand you dont wish to clean install, however it seems to me that is the best option. You can just copy your files to an HD, and reinstall your programs....that is where it is at;
    Good luck dude.

3. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  4. tellet

tellet MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    I thought i can install sp1 like normal update, or as an .exe file.

5. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    yes you can even as an update, but why do that if you can install all in one shot.

6. tellet

tellet MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    Well, I... I didn't know that i can install whole packet of updates.
    BTW. why there is something like windows hotfix repository? I won't be able to download it myself with auto-updates? Or ms-agents will ride my house (Serious here, i dunno what this repository is for.)

7. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Dude, you can do whatever you want man. You can download win7 including SP1 from the repository and go on with your life, ;cut down on bad tv

8. tellet

tellet MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    I've actually updated it to 7600, but happily transfered the most important files on the second drive I've installed yesterday (ca. 50 of 404gb i've had, but anyway- i needed to clean that mess).
    thx for all ppl that helped me