Upgrade 8.1 pro key with existing activated win 10 pro

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by testt0r, Jul 3, 2016.

1. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    yes, I just had to try to test this, I tried using the activation troubleshooter to move 1 "retail" (or so it said) licence from one virtual PC to another and it wouldn't let me, haha. It was a nice thought, my advice is hang on to those serial numbers, I'm having little faith in this activation troubleshooter. I do have an old 8 pro and a couple old 7 Premium retail keys I've upgraded this way, so I'll find out eventually.

2. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Well Bat did say after the AE, but being Bat, missed putting in HDD when saying transfer the OS for the old PC to another :eek: Be nice if one of the smart members like Daz would post their thoughts, but for now it's up to Bat to think :thinking: (ouch) :eek:

WWBD. *What Would Bat Do* :thinking::thinking::thinking: (Ouch) HMM, Bat Thinks (OUCH) this is starting to hurt :( OK, Bat would goto Family, Friends, Dumpsters, Garbage Sale, Flea Markets etc. where He could get Any PC barely capable enough of running Win 7 or 8.1 for free or as cheap as possible, and get the Free upgrade to Win 10. Upgrade to the AE when it comes out and Make a NEW M$ account for each and every PC. :)

No Guarantees o_O Just a possibility that You'll end up with a transferrable OS copy. :clap:

Now WARNING: I'd advise Not trying something like this on Your Daily Use PCs, or using a M$ account that can be linked back to any one of those. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    True, True. Bat did say that. After AE. Time will tell. As for the few serial numbers ! did have, I used them and I do expect that I will be able to transfer those. They do have legit transfer rights. I don't think, in fact I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't chase a fellow down for having five or so of those one one account. I think maybe a hundred or so and someone would come knocking on your door though, haha.

4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    ONLY a hundred or so :eek: Bat might be in trouble :eek:

The chances of Me upgrading My Legit Win 8.1 Core Rigs with the embedded keys to Win 10 Home are Non-Existent. Just Not gonna happen. :mad: The possibility that I'll upgrade them from Win 8.1 Core to Win 10 Pro is greatly increased :p Especially so IF I can get transfer rights :clap: So it's Micro$oft's decision on just how bad they want people to run Win 10 o_O

If I get My hands on a "Junker" in the next few Days I'll clone the Pro OS copy on My eMachines "junk" to another HDD, upgrade to the latest Preview build and after linking a Fresh M$ account try and see what'll happen ?? The eMachies is too slow for anything other than casual web-surfing and watching cam girls :eek: so it's not like I'd be losing much if I lost activation. :)

:eek: Crap Bat just realized He's Home by himself :sneaky: Time to fire up a few more PCs for cam girls :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I hope all this does not get on MS's No Fly List:confused:

6. testt0r

testt0r MDL Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #26 testt0r, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    (OP)
    OK guys,

I just entered my 8.1 pro retail key to my current machine by going to "activation -> Change product key".

However, after I type "slmgr.vbs /dli" I get the result of the partial generic product key of win10 pro. Is this normal that my system is not reflecting the key I just entered?

by entering the 8.1 pro key in the cmd i get the result "Error: 0xC004E016 On a computer running Microsoft Winwos non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 02a 0xC004E016' to display the error text."

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  8. testt0r

testt0r MDL Member

Jul 10, 2009
    it does look like the screenshot you posted above.

I was just wondering if M$ has registered my win 8.1pro key eligible for win10 beacuse according to the "slmgr.vbs /dli" the partial key is not the same with the key I entered.

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I believe that's normal no worries as long as you have the digital entitlement