Upgrade activated Windows 8 (legit) to Windows 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xtrm, Sep 12, 2013.

1. xtrm

xtrm MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2013
    #1 xtrm, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Hello, first of all I would like to thank you to the community for all the information here, its really helpfull.

I am a benninger in Windows 8 and I have been reading some threads, but still have some questions. Excuse me if the questions have been already answered before, and feel free to add any comment or link to the thread with the full information.

My main question should be what could be the best way to update/upgrade a legal Windows 8 core preinstalled in a Samsung ultrabook, to "Windows 8 Pro" or to "Windows 8.1 Pro" (or even Enterprise), if possible without having to pay for it.

System Information:
    - Legal Windows 8 core updated and activated.
    - 64 bit version.
    - SSD with Windows Partition and a hidden Samsung partition for recovery.
    - I still dont know my Windows 8 key.

From my little research, it should be possible with one of the following options:
    1. Format the SSD (saving drivers and stuff), download lastest Windows 8.1 Pro available in many Internet resources, install and activate following the instructions or with one of the methods described here.
    I dont like very much this option since I would have to save and reinstall everything, and I have already spent a lot of time, but if there is no other choice it could be the way to go.

2. Paying the upgrade to Microsoft. Since my Windows 8 core is legit and is already activated, I could just pay for the upgrade and I wont have to reinstall anything. The legal way of upgrading is really expensive, more than 150 eur.

3. Just saw other method in nsane forum by searching in google "update windows 8 core to pro".

Questions:
    1. Should it be possible to upgrade to "Pro" version with a legal OEM Professional key? (In case someone shared it with me).
    2. Could I update my Windows 8 core to Pro without having to format and reinstall everything? (with a cracked or non legal Professional pack or any other option)
    3. Any other way to upgrade without having to pay? I dont mind if my final Windows is non legal.

Thank you so much.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Why don't you just use your core key on 8.1? Then you don't have to pay for anything, and it's legit.

3. xtrm

xtrm MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2013
    thank you murphy78, and does 8.1 version contain "Pro" features also?

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Your legitimate key will only activate the Core edition of Windows 8.1.

5. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    In three words: It's not posible.

You need to install windows 8.1 core. Or buy the upgrade, aprox 70 USD

6. xtrm

xtrm MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2013

I dont know why no one said me before, but its as simple as enter a windows 8 pro key (legit or pirated) in the "get more windows features/upgrade". It will automatically download the pro files and upgrade the system to 8 Pro. The system wont be activated, but thats the second problem and it can be easily bypassed with many of the activators and methods already known.