Upgrade RTM>Release

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bdearen, Oct 18, 2009.

  1. bdearen

    bdearen MDL Junior Member

    Oct 3, 2009
    86
    1
    0
    So just curious since I was planning on doing a format/fresh install in the next few days. I am currently running 7600 RTM win7 X64. Am I going to HAVE to upgrade to a different version here in a few days when Win7 is officially released?
     
  2. Bax!

    Bax! MDL Member

    Jul 29, 2009
    142
    3
    10
    NO.. you already have the 'final' release.
     
  3. bdearen

    bdearen MDL Junior Member

    Oct 3, 2009
    86
    1
    0
    my concern was a few drivers/games I have won't work because they don't support a "beta" OS. Just making sure since this isn't the official version it's a RTM that it will work with what it doesn't now.
     
  4. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    Dude, this is the official retail version. The reason it is even listed as "RTM" is because it is the retail version that was given to the distributers like HP, Dell, and so on early to install it on their computers before they ship for the final release date. As for your game/driver issue that sounds very weird, maybe a Reg corruption or just the game is saying that because Win7 is not 100 % Supported yet as it is still a baby OS mate. Hope this helps :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bdearen

    bdearen MDL Junior Member

    Oct 3, 2009
    86
    1
    0

    Thanks for clearing that up :p I didn't realize RTM was a retail version.
     
  6. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    No problem man, just here to help ;)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. twiz

    twiz MDL Senior Member

    Jul 30, 2009
    401
    1
    10
    #7 twiz, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    It's a bulls**t cop-out for developers to not have to work on things for as long as possible.
    I've never seen a Windows OS change so drastically from Beta (let alone RC) to RTM that it required drivers to be rewritten.

    For example... Alcohol-Soft, the makers of Alcohol 52%/120%, absolutely refused to provide any sort of support for Windows 7 RC. Reason: It's a "beta" OS. Bulls**t! Windows 7 RC is a Release Candidate and they went so far as to ban anyone who explained to them was a Release Candidate was.
    And to top it off, Alcohol-Soft knew the problem and how to fix it as early as the beta. They had a post explaining what was preventing the installer from installing properly and said something to the effect of "Once we know Microsoft won't change anything related to how Alcohol operates, we'll release an updated version".
     
  8. alextheg

    alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

    Jan 7, 2009
    1,776
    806
    60
    I have the same issue with my Lexmark printer. Absolutely no support for drivers or software till post 22/10/2009. Very lame on thier part.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. dzadzev

    dzadzev MDL Junior Member

    Aug 3, 2009
    59
    2
    0
    #9 dzadzev, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    7600 is not "beta" OS as you say ... its the final official release that will be out on 22 Oct so don't worry :p
     
  10. DKnight2066

    DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

    Jul 19, 2009
    54
    0
    0
    #10 DKnight2066, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    All the more so with Windows 7, as people were testing their existing hardware and seeing if it would all play nice. Windows 7 was -the most- open beta testing of any MS product ever, bar none. Being forced to wait until it's on shelves, buying a Retail version (or OEM with new PC), THEN finding out that, say, your printer's driver support is being discontinued in favor of later models, is bulls**t in my opinion. Your stuck with the bill for the OS, then another bill for whatever hardware/software you have to replace due to not knowing support was canceled until after the fact.

     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. twiz

    twiz MDL Senior Member

    Jul 30, 2009
    401
    1
    10
    There was no patch... it was just an updated installer that would actually install under Windows 7.
    There was a way to install the older version of Alcohol on Windows 7 (using one of the compatibility modes, I think Vista, with some effects off -- but it ONLY would work the first time you run the installer for each Windows 7 install), but it admittedly had more than a few issues.
    Paid users of Alcohol get lifetime upgrades, so they won't charge for the newest version.

    I use Alcohol 52% (Free edition) over Alcohol 120% (~$57) because the only thing it lacks is the burning features and unlimited VirtualDrives (I currently only use 1 virtual drive). And I don't feel like paying $60 for what I can do with ImgBurn for free.
    I'm not a fan of Daemon Tools because for a while DT would install adware without prompting the user. Also, I find the Alcohol interface less cluttered and easy to use, and to my knowledge, no companies actively look for Alcohol on the system unlike DaemonTools.
     
  12. DKnight2066

    DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

    Jul 19, 2009
    54
    0
    0
    Glad to hear 120% edition users getting free upgrades, at least.

    Sorry to hear about your problems with the 52% version though. It stands to reason that free users would be left out of the loop, at least for some period of time after paid users get their fixes. Just another tactic to rope people into buying 120%. Gotta agree about ImgBurn too.

    As for Daemon Tools, I have it installed on my Win7 box here now, and it didn't install any adware on my system. You get the option of checking a checkbox to install some other whatnot, during the DT installer, but I just unchecked it and had no problems. Alot of people complained when that originally happened, and with the release of DT Pro, they stopped auto-installing any adware with the free version. Good thing too, since that was bulls**t.

    DT does have a "Tool Bar" you can seat at the bottom of your screen, to control it's various functions. I just disable that and use the right-click menu from the Taskbar icon, as was done since classic versions of the program. Very simplistic interface that hasn't changed much. I hate relearning software every few patches. :)

    As for blacklisting, they have really been on top of that. I can't complain on that front. They are dragging their feet on updating the free version of DT to fully support Win7 though. It still includes SPTD 1.58, which I never got to install properly on Win7 RTM. I manually install the latest version of SPTD first, then DT after, and everything works fine. I only use one virtual drive at a time, and I use other programs for burning CDs, so I have no need for DT Pro.

    --DKnight
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...