Upgrade to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ottuh, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ottuh

ottuh MDL Novice

May 23, 2009
    Hi,

When I buy a new laptop with Windows Vista I get the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7 at 22 october. But will I get a Windows 7 OEM or RETAIL key
    If I buy the same laptop without a Operating system installed, will it be a computer with a slic 2.1 bios so I can use one of the lo*ders?

Thanks in advance.

2. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Likely you will be supplied with an OEM key with possibly standard online activation.
    Depends on the vendor, but if it does have SLIC 2.1 in the BIOS, you will not need to use a loader.

3. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    If you have SLIC 2.1, you just need to install an certificate and key.:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TeamCanada

TeamCanada MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2009
    #4 TeamCanada, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    I bought an "HP system" not so long ago...which didn't have the "SLIC 2.1" install on it. I ordered the upgrade in which I would assume will be a hp recovery style of disc in which you'll end up doing for an upgrade! Something tells me if the SLIC 2.1 isn't incorporated into the upgrade OEM disc that you'll have to call hp or whowever your brand is for a phone activation for the first time. (just a guess)

I bought the same system just before I was allowed to do the upgrade so I went & bought another system (same model) just for the reciept and did all the online crap & uploaded the reciept & then I was good to go. Of course I took back the other system!