Upgrade Windows 10 Home Tablet to Windows 10 Pro 1709

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Mar 5, 2018.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm in the process to upgrade the W803T CSC Wisebook Windows Tablet from Home to down
    stripped Windows 10 Pro 1709.

The W803T is a low power Intel Windows Tablet which initially come with Windows 8.1Home. CPU is an Intel Atom Z3735F Quad Core, 1GB RAM and 16GB ROM.

That procedure is a bit more complicated on a Tablet with just 1 Mini USB port than on a PC and/or Laptop. There several 'special' needs:
    1. OTG Connector (USB to Mini USB)
    2. OTG Splitter Cable with USB and Power in (to the Tablet) and Mini USB into the Tablet
    3. 4 Port USB Hub
    4. USB Keyboard
    5. USB Mouse
    6. USB Flash Drive 4-8GB, formatted to Fat32 (NTFS will not work)
    Prepare the USB Flash Drive by formatting to Fat32. Mount the OS ISO File and manually copy the content to the USB Flash Drive. I was trying to create that with Rufus and failed: booting from the Flash Drive impossible, so I end up going the manual way which worked just fine.

I create a down stripped Windows 10 Pro 1709 and used to add all from the Home version saved drivers into the install.wim which worked just well except for the Accelerometer, which I needed to install manually by pointing the Device Manager to the location of that files. In Device Manager, it was shown as unidentified Device.

Now the install is finished and I've to configure the Pro in several details, which will need a bit of time. The used space for the whole installation is 7GB on that 16GB ROM, while the full Home edition was needed 9+GB's!

Who like to go a similar way, will need to first to know how to start to boot from an external USB Flash Drive. That said, the User must first know how to enter the BIOS of that Tablet and allow the boot from USB Drives/Devices. From within a running Windows 8.1/10, open Settings, go to Update & Security, click on Recovery, and under Advanced startup click on Restart now which will restart into Recovery Mode.
    If the Tablet is using EFI, you could now see: Use a device. Click on that and you'll have the choice between USB Device, DVD/CDROM, and Network. If the USB Hub with Keyboard, Mouse, and USB Flash drive is already connected to the tablet, you may already see the named USB Flash drive. Just click on that and the Tablet will boot from the USB Flash Drive. Now the setup and installation of Windows could be started.

As I had the first problem with the OTG Splitter Cable, I suggest starting the whole procedure with a fully charged Battery of the Tablet only! I also tested a multi OTG Cable which was not working correctly. The use of a WiFi/Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, will not work (it didn't in my case), USB is needed.

Any question? Please let me know. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Very usefull thanks for the tip :)

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Interestingly, I used to install both Education and Enterprise just for to test on the AU101T Tablet and found out that both are slower than Pro. I'm back now on Pro on the AU101T and even the used space is at least 1.5-2GB less and on Education and Enterprise. As I was run initially the Home version, I could now truly say that the Pro is the fastest, at least on that 2 Tablets I use the Pro, the W803T, and the AU101T!

Even while compacting, the used space on both Education and Enterprise is near to 11GB while for the Pro it's 8.5-9GB.

That said. who are planning to change from Home to Education and/or Enterprise, should just take the time and check out also the Pro and compare each to the others.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In the meantime, I had tested different Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education versions, all 32bit, on several Tablet 3 of my own and another 5 from Friends. Mine are all 3 CSC Wisebooks (2 10.1" and 1 8.1"), those from my friends are ASUS and Lenovo's.

First thing at all, all were Intel-based, different Atom CPU's, with 1-4GB RAM and 16-64GB SSD/ROM.

There different ways to get such Tablet to boot from USB Flash Drive. Just, all are need to have a USB Keyboard attached, Bluetooth Keyboards will not work, and a mouse needs to be used as well which could be either USB or Wireless with Receiver. In most cases, a small 4 port USB Hub will be needed. That said, the use of an OTG Cable is a need. Don't use some of that OTG Splitter Cable for normal USB connectors (most 2 of them) and a Micro-USB connector to the power/charger cable. The last will not let you do the job! I tested that with 5 different Splitter Cable with Power connector, NONE was working to boot from USB Flash Drive!

So, be sure, before starting such actions, the battery of the Tablet is fully charged and in good condition!

The USB Flash Drive need to formatted as 32bit, NTFS will not let you boot from it! All those Tablets using EFI BIOS and Methods! I used the MSMG Toolkit 8.2 for to amend the Windows 10 ISO files, which is very easy to do. Also, before starting to create a 'new' ISO, backup all drivers from the 'old' installed Windows of the Tablet and use to integrate that drivers into the 'new' ISO files. done that creation, just simply copy all the files onto the freshly 32bit formatted USB Flash Drive.

For to test that the Tablet is able to boot from a USB Flash Drive, have the OTG Cable with USB Hub, keyboard and Mouse connected running the old Windows version. Open Setting and go to Update & Security, click on Recovery and click on Restart now under the Advanced tab. Windows will restart to give you some option which includes Use a device, click on that button and a new screen come up with 3 Option, the upper one named EFI USB Device and if your BIOS accept that it will show the name of the USB Flash Drive you inserted. The other two options are EFI DVD/CDROM and EFI Network.
    If you could not boot from the USB Flash Drive this way, You'll need to restart the Tablet and access the BIOS with its Hot-Key, which is mostly the ECS Key, go into the Boot section of the BIOS look your USB Flash Drive is listed.
    Please keep in mind, not ALL Flash Drive will be working correctly! I had problems with some Kingston and Apacer Flash Drives already!

Also, not forget to add the required correct EI.cfg (and PID.txt) file(s) to the Sources Folder of your Windows ISO. That will differ on what version of Windows 10 you'll use and what kind of activation.

OK, that's it! If someone has any question, please let me know.

The next week I'll prepare the 40 Tablets for my customer. The Windows 10 Pro I'll use, will have with all needed apps just 12.5GB in total space, not compacted. If compact it will save quite a bit of space with a Ration of 1:1.7, means the used space will be just 10GB. Not bad for that Low Power Tablet, which still works quite fast.