Upgrading an Old Graphics Card

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by newme, Nov 25, 2019.

1. newme

newme MDL Junior Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Hi everyone!
    I have a very old PC that I built in 2008 with the following configuration:

Asus P5Q Pro motherboard;
    Intel core 2 duo e8500 CPU;
    8GB RAM;
    Asus Geforce EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M grafics card (DirectX 10)

My PC runs Windows 10 1909 just fine.I do not play computer games. I mainly use my PC to surf the web and watch videos on YouTube. Here is the question. Should I upgrade my old graphics card to a new one (Geforce GT 710, for example)? I mean, will I see the difference after upgrading an old video card to a new one: more saturated colors, sharper images, smoother Full HD video playback on YouTube. Can a new generation graphics card improve visual features on Windows 10? I hope to receive a competent answer from a professional in this matter. Thanks!

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    One of the main benefits of a GT-710 could be HDMI, also i think the GT-710 has either a 512MB or 1GB memory on-board, depending on who makes it.

Processing of the video data would be a bit quicker than the GF-9600 plus some are fan-less as the newer design of chip generates less heat.

I have used the 710 in a few computers as the cost and HDMI was a factor for a cheap pc to use as a DVR/Streamer.

It is by no means a powerhouse but it should do the job you require with ease. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    I would consider AMD/ATI Video Card that runs these drivers "AMD-Catalyst-Omega-14.12".
    PS: It's a matter of "taste" at the end.

4. newme

newme MDL Junior Member

Nov 1, 2012
    So just video data processing would be a bit quicker. And is that all I will gain by replacing the old video card? What about visual improvements to Windows 10 itself and applications?

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. newme

newme MDL Junior Member

Nov 1, 2012
  7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    DirectX is mainly for gaming use, not sure if it used in other media related programs/apps..:g:

The only time to think about a 'new' card is when the old one starts to play up, such as odd artefacts/glitches appearing, indicating a possible VRam failure.

In a nutshell:
    While the 9600GS is doing the job and no problems, why spend anything out on a replacement gfx card at the moment?

But i understand why you asked, but really i doubt spending $$ on another card at this time would gain any major benefits - just a lower bank balance :D:D

8. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    #8 pcnavarra, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Never Forget to associate the monitor drivers (if your monitor has such in the manufacture web page) the result is much better, dosent matter the brand of GPU/APU.

EDIT: I discovered that my old LG LCD TV had an Acer panel Then i Installed a acer monitor driver, got more saturated colors and sharper images in VGA Computer interface

9. newme

newme MDL Junior Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Sure! I have HP 23f 23-inch Full HD monitor with the manufacturer's driver installed.

10. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: i tend to agree with mxman2k;; there must be better ways to throw away $37 on a nvdia card .[ one of my pet hates,]