Upgrading Build 9879 to 9888

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ajitem, Dec 2, 2014.

1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #41 s1ave77, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    You should read the red part in post above yours :nsa:. Incase you tried to upgrade Enterprise to Pro it's no wonder the upgrade fails :g:.

BTW: As i see Paul is here, i realized i forgot to mention your X-Files explicitely for new Leak and added it now to the top of the REPO :doh:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Okay what about that DLL should I remove it from my white list and block it.

3. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Good question ... don't have the build here (need to get it tomorrow), so i'm waiting for more info to determine whether it' s due irritated AV or ISO is indeed shipped with a virus. Still betting on false/positives.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    i would give this advice never upgrade do a fresh install and always best to get a external HDD at least 1tb to make each fresh install a lot less worrying

5. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes that is what I think also that it is a false positive

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    So, we start again?

Fact is, I've 4 different system HDD's for my Laptop and that include the Windows 10 TP as Enterprise 64bit AND Pro 64bit, both build 9879! Even if you think, I'm not that stupid to know the difference between that two versions. Before assume something, may it would be better to ask first?!

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Huh, man calm down. Not the slightest amount of offense in my posts. Sorry for sounding assumptive ... the red part i referred to mainly might still be worth a check ... it's only me posting the conclusions so far.

8. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes relax man. Too early in the morning to start.
    Everyone is testing here. So far I have not found anything wrong with 9888.
    Only the one thing.

9. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    9888 seems to run a bit faster then other builds.
    Very stable.
    Does not seem to slow down with more app running.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Early morning? Hey, where you're living?! For me it's 20:00h already at this very moment and I start working at 06:00h!!

What's curious for me it's that infections of 9888! Just at this moment I scanning the .iso files after I extracted them to see that's a problem of source. Both ISO's I have having the same size and Checksum, so they should be identical.

Anyway, I'll install 9888 again using the ISO from Paul, which download were finished in the afternoon today (was very slow to download using the magnet Torrent!). That the activation were not working, isn't a big problem for me because I would use that OS'es anyway for testing purpose only, not any productive work! That I use a Laptop for that is quite easy, I've a lot HDD's for it some with OS and some without and could even use an HDD frame-case instead of DVD with HDD. As I do that jobs, I just need to unscrew 4 screws and leave that part of the Laptop open for the time till I need that Laptop for other work. An other reason for to use a Laptop for that is, I've a special Internet Connection and that Laptop is connected to DMZ.

In reality, Windows 10 is still to early to make really assumptions. There is a long way to go before the RTM will be even in sight. What bothers me, is that this time there some infections, something which were never happen for me before. May or may not, that infections are so called False Positives. If the Source Files are already infected, that would be terrible in many means. I downloaded the Source files using a Desktop which is fully (as much as possible) secured behind my Smoothwall. As I'd checked the logfiles for any clue, I didn't find anything on it.

OK, let see what the next install will show, maybe tomorrow?!

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #51 MS_User, Dec 3, 2014
    i got mine install with out any problems.....what happen to me in the first attempt was, i mounted the ISO to the virtual drive to run the install of it....it will give the error "autorun.dll is corrupted" so i just unzip it open it with windows explorer and click on setup....i have no issues with activation or virus red flags.:orb: i also registered with MS using the authentication code dont know if that helps.

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Begins to make some sense, when looking at the sfc /scannow error, caused by in-ability to properly recognize the new file compression of windows own recovery files ... issue seems to point in a similiar direction :g:. Could be they introduced some new stuff in Setup files, install.wim and boot.wim.

13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    also for some of the tester reporting virus....we all d\l the same image so if the ISO is infected we should all be? maybe some of the boxes reporting virus were already infected before upgrading to 9888.

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    previous builds must not have been infected before but I can imagine that all that AV crap is considered as THE virus. Build in AV machine in W10 does not report anything about any infection. To make sure that build in machine works properly simply try to install any kind of know virus and it reports immediately

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Some years ago, on an security conference some "experts" were asking: How it could be possible that some Anti-AV Developers could have the related Remove Tool already to offer even there wasn't any infos about infection of it at that time?! Conclusion: Pure Business, means find a way to sell the required security software using either to hire some Virus Programmers or even did that on and in their own company!

Fiction? Maybe, just it really could be an existing fact! And why such behavior should have changed this days?

16. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #56 s1ave77, Dec 3, 2014
    Reminds me of my own stupidity ... i thought i could try BitDefender with a 6 month giveaway license ... disturbing/annoying 1,5 days.

#1. No choice option what modules will be installed (no real deactivation options in the tool either) ... it assumes you 'bought' it cause you need help, so it protects you at all costs, even by crippling system speed and responsiveness.

#2. While setup proceeded, i started to suspect it trying to download the whole wide web ... it took ages on my SSD system.

#3. Protection is annoyingly invasive (including MBR entries, no-one needs).

#4. First time in my life even setting AV to so-called 'Game-Mode' didn't result in playable FPS (i5 @ 4GHz, 16 GB RAM and a GTX 570).

#5. Approx. 36 hours later system got stuck in an Infinite Repair Loop at Boot. All attemps to revive it from Win8.1SE to no avail.

So i restored the 2 days old Acronis backup ... and have a nice story to tell my grandchildren :cool2:.

17. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    like 80% of all apps or installation error issues is caused by having anti virus....i recommend for the tester having this issue to un-install their anti complete their upgrade if done error free they can later install their anti back in.....im not a big fan of any anti virus all i run is the windows defender....also running two anti at the same time can cause lots of issues.

18. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I quite agree with you on being a stable Build compared to previous ones.

19. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i agree is pretty stable so far.

20. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013