upgrading from RC possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ryan80, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ryan80

ryan80 MDL Member

Apr 30, 2009
    i'm currently using RC version. is it possible to upgrade to RTM from RC?
    or do we have to format and do fresh install?

2. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Possible, by modifying cversion.ini.

3. delweine

delweine MDL Member

May 1, 2007

no need to format, just install on same drive. i would not upgrade from rc.. just do a system save/transfer/restore...

might be stability issues to do the upgrade.

cversion file in sources needs to be changed, top number to lower value than bottom number..

4. The_Virus

The_Virus MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    #4 The_Virus, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    I'm really interessted in updating or upgrading my Win7 RC1 Build 7100 to the Win7 RTM Build 7600...both x64 systems.

Can you please explain step by step what I've to do?

My Questions are:
    1. What is the difference between upgrade and system restore?
    2. What exactly do I have to change in the "cversion.ini" and where can find this file?
    3. To what number I have to change the entry in the ini-file?
    4. Is the file on the Iso-Image and do I have to change it before burning and installing it? Or will the file be found on my drive after installing?
    (I ask because I just burned the Iso-Image already and I would be a pity to trash it and to burn again with modified ini-file)
    5. And what about the registration or license? I assume that the RC1 Keys doesn't work in Build 7600 RTM anymore?! Is there a crack or valid serials around?

I hope somebody can answer my questions.

Thanks in advance and best regads from Berlin, Germany.
    Virus

5. ryan80

ryan80 MDL Member

Apr 30, 2009
    can you explain further? i am currently using RC. what are the steps to do if i want to retain my programs and settings so that i don't have to reinstall them again ?

what do you mean by system save transfer and restore?

6. zombiehunter

zombiehunter MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2009
    Bump

*bump to this question- Im wondering the same thing.
    Was trying the chinese version (of x86 however) and it failed on the upgrade-
    and on a side note- I got the english mui file but when should I run it? After upgrade? Before? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

<EDIT>

I know I'll clean install the final release (already preordered), but if I can avoid clean installing 7100>7600 I'd like to. heh.