Upgrading to Tech Preview (questions)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Linktopower, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm starting to kinda excited for windows 10. And I was wondering since MS is now upgrading the build version through windows update and all that jazzy snazzy stuff.

If I go ahead and let my windows update take me to the promised lands of 10, will I keep on upgrading all the way to the final version?

Also would I have to worry about activation? as I own windows 8 pro legit. So If I'm thinking right I upgrade to the tech preview and It should auto upgrade to the Final version (RTM) through windows update (for free since MS said it was free for people who have windows 8.)

2. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #2 steven4554, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    You would need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update first, before you can upgrade to build 9926. After you've installed all that, you can then upgrade to every single new build of Windows 10 until it reaches RTM later this year.

Even though it's not compulsory, and it is up to you, but I would recommend signing up to be a Windows Insider so you can give feedback to MS, to fix bugs or suggest new features.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Yep I'm already using Windows 8.1, also I signed up to be a windows insider a while ago, so far how has the stableness of the builds that MS is sending out? are they somewhat good enough to use as a normal thing? (For me normal is playing few games and web browsing lol)

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009