Upgrading Windows 7 build 7100 to 7601

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by palbertsma, Jul 29, 2012.

1. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    #21 palbertsma, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    (OP)
    Ok, Stannieman, thanks for your confirmation: I won't delete the file product.ini!

I copied the extracted and customized ISO-files to the folder X17-59183 on my pen drive, and tried to run setup.exe from within that folder on my laptop. But I discovered that on the root of that pen drive there IS an autounattend.xml file (from another Windows-8 setup that is in the root): the setup.exe might have looked to THAT file, although that is OUTSIDE the install folder X17-59183.

To be sure and exclude that this might be the cause I am copying the whole folder to another place on my laptop - it takes about one hour!:eek: -, and then I try to run setup.exe from THAT spot. I wonder if that is the cause of the error, but it is worth trying!

It still takes 20 minutes, but after my trial I'll let you know if this helped.

UPDATE
    YES! I succeeded in breaking through! Not at once: I still had the same error; I found out that I had to remove the pen drive completely! So the presence of an external "drive" with autounattendend.xml on it (in the root) is enough to get troubles!

I also overcame the next problem: the ISO turns out to install Win7 Professional and not Ultimate (there was no option to choose), but I don't care much: now I can't upgrade, but make a fresh installation - in fact probably better than upgrading. Besides, the difference is not that great.

So the laptop is doing a hard job: it is still busy Expanding Windows Files at about 27% (it made its first reboot), so that will last a few hours, I guess, but that doesn't count so much: I am glad that now it is doing something, at least!:rolleyes:~

I will let you know if everything will end up well, but for now: so far so good!

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Won't help. autounattend.xml is what you have to delete or rename, and that's a lot faster too.

Funny how this went from wanting to continue running Windows 8 RP to finally getting rid of Windows 7 RC. You should consider doing the same with Windows 8 RP.

3. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    You are right: I had to remove the pen drive with autounattend.xml on it in the root (see my former post).

Regarding your second remark: I think I'm convinced by now!:( Remains my wish to KEEP aero in Windows 8; I'm sorry for that!:D:p

Anyway: all that have helped: :worthy:!

I will let you know how the results will be.

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #24 Daz, Jul 30, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    @ Daz,

Thanks for your explanation! I understand why you directed me to the Pro version: for very good reason!

I don't mind not able to switch the language: I am able to understand the English Windows. It is also nice in case I have questions: now I know how the lines are in English, and I don't have to guess how it would be in English, for English is finally the world language - at least in this forum and in computer business anyway.

I succeeded in installing the Pro version: now the old comp is really doing a hard job: I can hear the HD running all the time, without any break!;) That is because it is downloading and installing Updates of Windows now: at least about 90! And I know that this amount can rise, as some updates generate new, following-up updates!:eek:

So thus far everything is ok; the only typical thing is that Windows 7 can't find the audio output: No audio output device is installed - this is common for me, as neither the old Win Ultimate 7100 could find it: it should be Yamaha Legacy DSI WDM Driver and/or Yamaha Native DSI WDM. Both worked fine with Win XP and Win 98. A few years ago I searched the "whole" internet, but I didn't succeed to find something that works with Windows 7. So I have no sound. If you know a solution for this, or a workaround, I would like to know about it, but, please, don't feel obliged to look for a solution: you've done so much already, and even beyond that!:biggrin:

I guess I'll be able to activate by using your loader?!:hmm: (Must be a very silly question in your respect, I presume?!)

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    You can try the loader, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it fails to work. I'd suggest you install it with with it's default boot menu too as you can then use the "No SLIC" option to boot Windows if it fails to boot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Daz,

What do you mean with installing with it's default boot menu: is that using your loader without changing its default settings? And that makes it possible to use the No SLIC option?

This is what I understand: please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW: the laptop is still updating!:eek:

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #28 Daz, Jul 30, 2012
  9. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    @ Daz,

Excellent that you found out the driver update for Yamaha: it works! Finally sound again!:stereo: Many thanks for that!

The loader works just fine!

I noticed however a great difference in speed: the old Win 7 Ultimate, 7100 was far much faster, as it was a lite version, than this version. Quite understandable, and of course not to blame to anyone, but that is a fact on this old laptop.

Now my question is: is there also a lite version of this Win 7 Pro , 7601, or any other version (as the laptop now turns out to be working just fine with the loader)? For with this full version I really have to wait lots of times, as with the old version it reacted almost instantly.

If there is not a lite version of this fresh, newly installed Win 7 Pro, I tend to delete this and to return to the old 7100 one!:eek: Again: nobody must feel offended, but I like to have a workable environment!:D

Thanks again for letting me know.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ palbertsma, all you had to do was remove the AutoUnattend.xml file windows will always look for AutoUnattend file in the root of pen-drive, dvd, or floppy drive and will use it if found.

11. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    @ Urie,

You mean that by removing the autounattend.xml file the windows version would have been a lite one?

Please, could you be more specific? Thank you!;)

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    be more specific this thread is totally confusing starts off widows 8 and you end up discussing windows 7. The AutoUnattend.xml won't make windows a lite version all I was saying was it should have still installed from usb pen drive the Autounattend.xml was the cause of the problem i,e it was made for different version of windows ( Wrong key) so it would error out and not let you complete installation.

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  14. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    @ Daz,

The loader works just great!:biggrin: Good for you to know that it even works on old laptops as I have.:)

Thanks for your good ideas! I will look at the sites you suggested. Do you think that the results of applying the tips/tricks will have equivalent increase of speed, compared to the lite 7100 version? If that is the case, of course I won't return to 7100!

Thanks for being so cooperative and contributive!:cool:

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #35 Daz, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    By performing the above tweaks you're basically manually applying some of the tweaks you found in your old 7100 version, so it should give you a boost in performance, but I'm not sure how great or small that'd be.

Update: Posts relocated.