Upgrading Windows 7 OEM versions to Ultimate.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ryguy2010, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    #1 ryguy2010, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    I have found a way to upgrade any lower version of Windows 7 to Ultimate. If you bought a computer from any oem vendor (HP, Dell, etc..). This trick is worth looking into if you don't want to have to reformat and load a specified version of Windows 7.

In Windows 7 there is an Upgrade Anytime utility that lets you upgrade Windows 7 to a higher version without having to install it from scratch. Let's say you bought a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and you have it configured the way you like it, but you need the features in Ultimate. This trick will allow you to keep all your settings, all your data, and save you a lot of time.

First what you need is a default Windows 7 Ultimate key (I don't know if I can post it, if you IM me I can give it to you). You can find this by having a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate installed on another computer without putting a key in during the setup wizard. Once you get to the desktop, download and run a key finder tool (jellybean, siw, etc..). I used siw.

Second after you get that key start the Windows 7 Upgrade Anytime tool. That is located on the Start menu under programs. A wizard will pop up and ask you for a Windows 7 key. Put that key in and Microsoft will verify the key. After verification, Windows will upgrade itself to Ultimate. This only takes about 10-15 min with a couple of reboots. After it's done you have 3 days to activate. The cool thing is, that your computer has slic v2.1. So you can register the cert and key for the manufacturer of your computer to activate Windows 7 Ultimate.

Now you have Windows 7 Ultimate, all your data, and Windows configured the way you wanted, in about 20 min. Isn't Life great!!!

2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  3. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #3 blackranger, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    Thanks for the info, but I guess this will be the last time seeing a different version of tutorial from M$. Aren't there guides same as this everywhere :D
    If I upgrade, just use an OEM:SLP Ultimate key is fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...