URGENT Help Needed PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by deevie, Aug 25, 2012.

1. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I can't post links because of my post count, google how to make a usb drive bootable. I prefer method #2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    ok thanks.... I think you only ned 2 more posts to be able to post a link, but you can always put the link on and remove the http:// from the beginning, put the rest of the link and say to add it.
    I will see what else I can find.
    I have tried method 2 but can't seem to get the usb floppy to start when I power up the laptop???
    Thanks again to all for your help and ideas.

3. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    #23 mimart7, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    You have to find out which F key you have to hold down, so that you'll be given a list of disks to boot from. It could F6 or F9, for me it's F12. Btw, after this post I'll need an 10 posts, to post links. Already tried with out http.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I am afraid that does not help me as I am trying to "Blind" boot from a floppy to repair my bios.

That is why the problem I have with the usb floppy drive not starting is stopping me from getting any further.

Thanks again anyway.

I will keep trying :)

5. usitsupport

usitsupport MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2008
    I would suggest the following:
    (1) use the phlash16 from the link I uploaded (there are at least 2)
    (2) don't put in any bios file, just the minidos/msdos/or whatever DOS + autoexec.bat if necessary.
    (3) see if it boot on another computer, phash16 without a bios on another computer is not fatal. Just to make sure the floppy can boot properly.
    (4) put in the correct BIOS, try all the f/window key + power on + whatever key (every manufacturer is different).

FYI the reason I gave you the link before is: I have managed to use other versions of phlash16 and flash the bios on my broken computer, but on reboot nothing happen until the phash16 that I suspect has some tweak that works on AMD CPU.

6. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    #26 deevie, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Ok....Thanks for that...I will give it a try.

on a lot of places it says for Toshiba use fn+f This does not seem to do anything at all on my Toshiba satellite p300d, which is the laptop I am trying to rescue.

I don't understand how the usb floppy drive can work on other pc, laptops but not the one I am trying to repair????
    When usb stick light does flash, but does not seem to boot from it when trying the same process???

Is there any way I can do this from cd, as the dvd drive starts up as soon as the power is switched on, so maybe I could boot from cd?????? Just a thought....

But is there anyone who has successfully done this on a toshiba to know which key combination will get the usb floppy drive to boot?????

All your suggestions and help is, as always, very helpful and most welcome.

Thanks.

7. usitsupport

usitsupport MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2008
    One more idea that comes to mind, remove your silver oxide battery to clear any saved configuration information and perhaps allow floppy as the first bootable drive? Wild guess. The lights you are seeing on DVD, HDD, etc is the function of power being applied. I actually took out everything: battery (required), HDD & DVD.

8. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    ok....thanks for that....I will give it a try once I've had some sleep....2.49 am here in UK so am getting tired....

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions....We will get it working again....:)

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    on most toshiba laptops they have a XXX JP1 to reset cmos .. procedure also clear pwd .
    have to remove lower memory and only use 1 on top and look for the JP1 or XXX (sometimes under the black tape)
    depending on model. turn on short and wait about 5 secs then its done

10. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Thank you for that info....

Can you clarify what is meant by jp1 or xxx????

I have taken memory out and there does not seem to be anything under it?? The wifi card is next to memory so taken that out and there are lots of small chips under a clear film.

I can't see anything that says jp1 or xxx though??? Would it be somewhere else on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P300d-21K Model no. PSPD0E 00H003EN) or am I just not seeing it???

When I do find it, do you mean that it has to be short out for 5 seconds, or just short then wait 5 seconds???

Thanks again for your help.....I feel I am getting very close to rescuing my laptop now.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #33 LatinMcG, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    take a picture of your mem slot area without memories or tape cover. then post it in mediafire or somewhere

13. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Ok.....What next????

14. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
  15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #36 LatinMcG, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    i dont see it eiither.

16. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    It's not just me not seeing it then...lol

What happens now then????

There must be some way of doing this???

I look forward to hearing back from you with any ideas

Thanks again.

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try different phlash16.exe

do spi usb programmer.

18. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I don't think it will make any difference trying different phlash16???? The usb floppy does not start up when laptop is powered up...tried all key combinations fn+f fn+b fn+esc win+b win+f None make the usb floppy start?????
    Tried going from usb memory stick....Stick flashes when laptop starts, but then nothing...

What is spi usb programmer please????

Thanks.

19. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Can you tell me more about the spi usb programmer please, as that looks like it may be my only other option.

I was hoping that I could have just done the bios reset procedure, but as you can see, there is no sign of the jumper required to be able to do this?????

There must be a way to do it??? Surely this can't be the only toshiba model that you cannot do that to????

Thanks again for all your help as always, you have been great.