Urgent help with xp repair

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by zizoty, Jan 26, 2010.

1. zizoty

zizoty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    My laptop come with windows xp media center2005 and I have virus that forced me repair the windows. My friend offered to use his windows xp PROFFESIONAL to repair window and everything was fine until the the part i have to enter the Product Key. I used the old product key on the back of the laptop and his product key that come with xp professional and none or them work. We could not find a working product key for this and i think the problem is because i upgrade the OS from media center 2005 to professional. Can someone help me with a working PK or show me how to reverse back so i can log into my computer?

2. James5q

James5q MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    Have you tried getting the key from his Professional CD?

Put the CD in different computer, go to ''My Computer'', and right click the drive containing ''XP CD'' and click explore.

Go into the ''i386 folder'' and look for the txt file called UNATTEND.txt, if you open it as a notepad doc you'll find a serial at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

3. zizoty

zizoty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    I did this and his CD doesnt contain this file. I just noticed that his xp professional is not original and it says "black version". I need to log into my comp ASAP, anyone have a quick fix for this problem? Im thinking about downloading the original xp professional and try to see if it accept the some product keys that i have.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Like 99% of time, it was already answered elswhere, just read. In this case thread below Windows XP [all editions] Download

sebus

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #5 911medic, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    the key in Unattend.txt file is just the default key for all windows xp pro installs it will install it but wont activate it.