URGENT: Question about 8.1 Install on HP machine Downgraded to 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by littledebbie, Aug 30, 2014.

1. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Hi Everyone. I have limited time to do an OS rebuild and need help!

I have an HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF computer that was shipped DOWNGRADED to Windows 7 Professional. It has the Windows 8 Pro sticker on it and there's another sticker that says "Windows 8 Pro Downgrade to 7" or something of the sort.

I would like to use Windows 8 now...is this possible? Is there a Windows 8 key embedded into the machine that I'm entitled to use if I want?

I cannot (for the life of me) find the HP Recovery Discs and the recovery partition has Windows 7 on it.

What can I do to install Windows 8 and activate it, if it's possible. Is there an OEM image I need to use and not the MSDN untouched ones? Do I have to use Windows 8 media and NOT Windows 8.1 media?

Can anyone help? Thank you so much for your time in advance!!!

2. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    My GF downgraded her W8 Lenovo to W7 by contacting Lenovo & they sent her a free disk or Dl, I know it was a free downgrade though.
    You might contact HP if you want all the HP drivers & apps.

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    To answer the question from my experience, all HP that I have run across that where downgraded to 7 still have the Win8 key embedded. Running a win8 disk will pull the key from the bios and install. Whether that key is accepted and activates I don't know as I never went that far.

-ed

Following ElDiabl0's post will let you see if the key is embedded in that system.