USB 3/XHCI driver stack for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by daniel_k, Jun 21, 2020.

1. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Thanks for reply. I have not been able to find the W8.1 ADK. I have found downloads for the wrapper, a small file that offers to allow a download of the full package, but Microsoft seems to have discontinued the download. Bless their mercenary hearts.

I'll keep looking because the W8.1 version has more functionality than the W7 version. May be able to find it somewhere on FTP. Wayback machine only has the wrapper. Don't know if the W10 version will work on W7 but even that seems gone since Microsoft are now offering the ADK for W11.

BTW...the W10 version of windbg works fine on W7, just don't want to take a chance on messing my system using W10 DISM. Anyone know for sure if it works?

2. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
  3. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018
    2 processors may suggest that Windows 7 sees P-cores and E-Cores as two different NUMA nodes.

4. vxiiduu

vxiiduu MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2021
    If you take a Windows 10 LTSC installation ISO (I am using the IoT Enterprise 2021 ISO), either mount it with WinCDemu or extract with 7-zip, and then open sources/install.wim using 7-zip, extract the following files:
    Windows\system32\Dism\ (entire folder with DLLs and MUI inside)
    Windows\system32\Dism.exe
    Windows\system32\DismApi.dll
    and put them all in a folder somewhere, you will be able to use DISM from Windows 10 on Windows 7 with no problems.

5. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Why not just install the ADK?

6. spinalGR

spinalGR MDL Senior Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Whats the purpose of this driver ?

7. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    Native and Generic USB 3.x driver

8. vxiiduu

vxiiduu MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2021
    The ADK installs more files which are useless to me, and I happen to have various windows ISOs lying around. It depends on whether you have Win10 ISOs lying around already, and if you want the extra stuff included in the ADK.

9. Doskungen

Doskungen MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Hello!

I'm using this USB 3.0 driver successfully under Windows 7 on my computer with UASP and everything working.
    It's a Gigabyte GA-Z170-UD5 TH motherboard with the Etron EJ168 USB 3.0 controller on it.

Then on another computer with a Gigabyte motherboard also with the same USB 3.0 controller, whenever I connect a USB 3.0 device up to either the front or back ports I just get a Code 43 that something went wrong and the device was stopped. I did try uninstalling the driver and re-installing it (Shows up with the Etron device name in the device manager) but still throws the same error.

Reinstalling the original Etron device driver for the USB 3.0 controller restores functionality but of course then without UASP support.

Please let me know if someone knows how to fix this issue.....

10. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
  12. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    Windows 8, not 8.1

13. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Etron driver will show all devices under USB class, check it out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    Once again thank you for your help with this. I've been looking now at the device manager and if I check the device in question (external harddrive enclosure) it looks like it's using the normal Microsoft driver, nothing mentioned anywhere about UASP being enabled so it's a little difficult to know if it's actually working or not.

And I'll try a Windows 8 (not 8.1) install to see what happens with the ported UASP/USB 3.0 driver when I have time.

Kindest regards.

15. chuckbam

chuckbam MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2013
    Is this the same devices not found in Device Manager when installing a Nvidia GTX 16xxx in Win7 ?

16. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    #217 gordo999, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    @vxiiduu ...sorry for taking so long to reply....thanks for direction. There is another directory on the W10 installation disk that must be downloaded completely into the DSIM folder chosen.

Windows\system32\downlevel

In the install.wim file, using 7-zip, you need to go to that subdirectory and copy all files to your new DISM directory. Then W10 version of DISM will work with the dism.exe file in your new DISM directory..

**************Edit*************

Thought I'd edit this post rather than impose with an almost off-topic post. Having said that, there is information in this post that might help elsewhere.

There is another problem that I have managed to solve. In addition to the files listed above I forgot to mention that Dism asks for several files like:

api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32.....

which should be in the System32\Downlevel directory but are not.

You can copy them directly from the W10 disk in the \Sources directory.

Run Dism from the new directory with W10 DISM and it will post an error window telling you which file it needs. Just copy the required files into the DISM directory you created or copy them all.

Note: You have to use the /ScanHealth switch and NOT /CheckHealth. As in:

Dism /online /cleanup-image /ScanHealth

It will happily scan W7 and give you a health report. It directs you to the Windows\Logs\CBS folder for the report.

I also have the w8.1 version of DISM and it will run the Dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth command.

17. ruslanshchur

ruslanshchur MDL Senior Member

Sep 13, 2020
    I am wondering that why you decided to drop support for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008? Yes, I have your latest USB 3.0 driver that supports Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, but I am still wondering that why you decided to not support Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 anymore?

18. bFrank

bFrank MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2022
    Many thanks to the creators for the good USB drivers!
    Sorry for my bad english.
    Computer is ASUS Prime B360M-C with i5 8400. I have problems with "uaspstor" drivers. I use USB-SATA adapter with JMS578 chip. I can't install it driver Device Manager Error code 37. Installing and uninstalling didn't help. I integrated the USB drivers with NTLite on my Win7 x64 ISO an install on my Computer. No Problems with USB 3, but Device Manager Error code 37 (uaspstor driver). I thought that the USB cable is broken. I installed Win 10 to testing On my Computer. The USB to SATA adapter works and supporting USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP). What can I do to install the "uaspstor" driver?

19. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    @bFrank ...did you follow instruction 'exactly' on page 1 of this thread? Are you using the proper version of nLite for Windows 7? You need to load the Security Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework (KDMF) version 1.1. There is a link to it on page 1.