USB Flash Drive Best Practices (For Reliability)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tomorrow, May 3, 2011.

1. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    #1 tomorrow, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    The web is full of articles how to protect data on usb flash drive or how to get best performance out of them but there is little to no talk about how to ensure that your brand new (and sometimes expensive) usb stick does not die in the first few weeks.

Infact that's what happened to me.My 8GB Patriot Xporter XT Rage died in about a week ( Talk about my Rage lol ).So while my drive was in RMA i decided to do a little digging and put together a list of best practices to ensure that it does not happen again and to find out what i did wrong.
    Be aware that this post does not equal absolute truth and that there are exeptions to every rule.

There is short term reliability and long term reliability.Constantly violate rules for short term reliability and you may have RMA on your hands.Long term reliability affects how the drive survives over the years so doing these things will not have an immideate effect but it will defenetly reduce it's lifespan.

2. SeiferCQGL

SeiferCQGL MDL Novice

May 3, 2011
    Good guide, well done.

3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    would this also pertain to micro sd cards in a blackberry?,i have been using a 32gb micro sd for transferring iso's,software,media in bulk,basically using it as a flash drive device. the blackberry automatically formats the sd card and windows 7 has no problem transferring files back and forth at a repetitive pace (alot),i also have an 8gb flash drive with a memory card reader,which would give me a total of about 37.5 gb,so my question is,is it better to insert my 32gb memory card in my blackberry or in my 8gb flash drive with memory card reader??( as far as longevity and reliability) thanks

5. dudul

dudul MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    external usb hard disk

nice man...
    can this method be applied to external USB hard disk?
    I format it with 4 kb allocation size
    I'm running on Windows 7 x64