Use afudos with a USB flash drive?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by prescott, Apr 20, 2008.

1. prescott

prescott MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I know for sure that the safest way to update bios, esp mod bios is to use afudos (for Asus) with a floppy disk. But I don't have that in my computer, only USB connectors. So can I use USB drive instead of floppy disc to run afudos and update bios? I dont have experience on that issue, pls explain

Thank you a lot :)

2. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #2 FuzzyMaster, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. prescott

Feb 17, 2008
    #3 prescott, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    I`ve used the same download link to flash my bios from usb stick and everything vent without a hitch.
    Please post back how the flashing went.
    :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. piar

piar MDL Novice

May 7, 2007
    I successfully flashed my P5E3 Deluxe using a USB key & AFUDOS, but I had to use a very small capacity one (256 MB), because all other bigger keys (1 GB or more) in spite of having been formatted with the same HP utility weren't recognized at all at the boot.

Remember this hint!

6. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    I have 2GB USB Stick and it works fine for me, maybe HP Tool does not support some USB Sticks, who knows ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. prescott

Feb 17, 2008
    Thank for the hint, I'm using a 4GB USB, maybe I have to buy a new one ? but it's hard now to find a smaller size of 256MB. Dont know the reason why that? :confused:

8. bokkoman

bokkoman MDL Junior Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I have a P5E3 (deluxe) aswell, i tried a 1GB stick, but within the bios settings, it didnt show any boot options for usb stick.
    Could you tell me where to set to load from USB? Cause i dont see such on option anywere in the bios.
    Maybe you can make a step by step guide on how you did it?

9. piar

piar MDL Novice

May 7, 2007
    Very quickly:
    I remember I had to make my system recognize the USB key under the Disks entry.
    Then I set the boot from that relevant entry.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I don't have that system at hand now.

Possibly I will next weekend.

Good Luck