Use the "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool" from a windows 7 virtual machine?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by whitewolf573, Mar 9, 2011.

1. whitewolf573

whitewolf573 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    Can I create a Windows 7 Usb (to install windows 7 using a usb stick) (using the "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool" microsoft tool) using a virtual machine with Windows 7 ?

I have a core 2 Quad,and 8 GB ram, shouldn't be any problem to use the "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool " microsoft tool on the Windows 7 virtual machine, no ?

Download the iso (in my case i need both x32 and x64) , install virtualbox or vmware , and install windows 7. Then run the virtual machine,copy the iso to the machine,download the tool and execute it.

Having enough memory, shouldn't be any problem , no ? ( I mean, it is possible to use a virtual machine to create a Windows 7 usb , using microsoft's "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool".

I have to do this , because i only have linux (debian) , and my dvd writer doesn't work (i am trying to decide what burner buy. A liteon iHAS624 seems very good option , or a Asus DRW-24B3LT),and although i will buy a new one,if i can use a usb stick, perhaps is an easier way (and k3b in linux have given me some problems,and use imgburn from a virtual machine to burn the iso , i don't now if is possible or wise).

The usb created is like a dvd , so there is not difference in the installation at all, and i could use it to install Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit i ¡n my Desktop pc,like i would do with a netbook.

I suppose that if this method isn't as good as use a dvd , microsoft wouldn't created it,so i can be totally confident with it to install windows 7 in my pc, that i use mostly for work - 3D - CG / Games,like if used a dvd burned with k3b.

2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I don't see any problem with creating the usb from vm, but if you have a copy of win2k or xp laying around use that as guest os. It installs faster than win7 and it doesn't really matter what os it is cause you only use it for creating the usb.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    The VM needs access to your USB devices since it needs to format your USB drive. Also, this thing requires .NET, so a Win2K install is actually slower because you need to download and install .NET, which takes forever. If you have VT, installing W7 on a VM is actually very quick...

4. whitewolf573

whitewolf573 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    Yes , i have VT, and plenty ram (8 GB) , access to the usb , should be easy. I suppose only requirement is that windows shouls be able to detect and see the usb,and format it to fat32.

I suppose the vm shouldn't give any problems with the usb.

5. whitewolf573

whitewolf573 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    I have been thinking in that this night.I knew that some people used unetbooting to make a Windows 7 usb , but i don't like that metod. But i know , that debian be installed via usb using dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/sdX , and i see that in the post for linux that you have posted, they use dd as i though, thanks :)