Useful information to solve or avoid some headaches in gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Anotherbytes32, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Anotherbytes32

Anotherbytes32 MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2021
    Hello, this is my first publication, I hope you like it.

Important notice:
    This thread aims to try to solve some problems that arise when playing a video game, trying to solve them, if you have any corrections or suggestions, I would appreciate the help.

Drivers:

Device drivers or simply drivers, are programs whose function is to allow the correct communication between the operating system and a piece of hardware, however, such software in most cases:

1 - Comes pre-installed on the PC by the manufacturer.

2 - Comes with the product we have purchased in a medium like a Mini-CD, CD, DVD.

3 - It is installed automatically by the operating system an example of this would be Windows Update.

4 - None of the above scenarios is our case so it is advisable to look for it on the manufacturer’s website.

Note: Sometimes a driver may not work properly, in which case it would be optimal to uninstall and reinstall the driver, creating a system restore point to try to minimize the risks or possible inconveniences that may arise.

Second Note: Regarding controllers while all are necessary for a correct and good performance of our equipment, the video controllers are either NVIDIA or AMD whether of dedicated cards or integrated graphics, these usually have a standard version and one optimized for gaming, (I won’t go into details at least for now, because I would need to investigate this topic further).

APIS:

The APIS, which stands for "Application Programming Interfaces" are intended to facilitate communication between two programs.

DirectX 9.0c - 11 and 12

DirectX is an API developed by Microsoft focused mainly on the area of video games and the graphic part, this API can be found in the same package that includes its 9.0c, 10 and 11 versions in two ways:

• DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer - (Requires an Internet connection to install)

• DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - (Once downloaded can be installed Offline)

What about DirectX 12?

According to Microsoft itself to use DirectX we must have Windows 10 or higher.

(I do not know if there are cases where this version can be used on older operating systems, but if I know a trick to force a use of a newer version of DirectX when it is not normally possible for us).

Force DirectX:

Yes, it is possible to force DirectX despite the fact that our hardware does not support it natively, this making use of "Windows SDK" and more specifically with "DXCPL" this tool will allow us to run a game that requires a higher version of DirectX, although it is important to note that the performance will not be the best unless we have a powerful hardware or the game to run is not very demanding, in any case, it is worth trying.

Modes of compatibility:

Compatibility modes can help you run software originally created for older operating systems so it may be an option to try this out in case the game or program shuts down unexpectedly.

Library at run time:

Runtime libraries are a collection or in other words compendium of code that possesses from subroutines, graphical functions, mathematical functions, among others, such a library is necessary because it was implemented at the time of developing the program we want to run. However, for now we will focus on the libraries of Microsoft C++ and later VulkanRT.

Microsoft C++ redistributable (2005), (2008), (2010), (2012), (2013), (2015-2022):

Although the utility of Microsoft libraries goes beyond the video games themselves, I decided to put them here because there are enough games or already flat programs that require them and install these libraries in chronological order, and first installing the version of x86 and then the version of x64 (the latter if our processor is x64 bites).

VulkanRT also called Vulkan Runtime:

I was not quite sure whether to place this runtime or not, but I have seen that again and again I managed to solve some problems when running games that require Vulkan so I consider it useful.

Java:

While Java is a technology mainly focused on Web development, if you want to play Minecraft or some video game that needs Java you will need it.

OpenAL:

OpenAL is an audio API developed by Creative Technology although this API is more present in Retro games you may find useful or the least curious.

DirectPlay:

Again, another API only this time dedicated to facilitating the online functions of some video games is considered obsolete, but some relatively old game may need it so I put it here.

Thank you for reading the entire thread, I hope I helped you or at least provided some useful information. :)

2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...