Using Outdated Office version

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by steven168, Jan 2, 2022.

1. steven168

steven168 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    I still have Office Home and Student 2010 and Office Professional 2010 and Office Home and Student 2016 licensed copy

2010 no more updated

I wonder using outdated office version will there be any issue...

2. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    if you worry about security and safety,
    you should update to latest release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BizarreLoveTriangle

BizarreLoveTriangle MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2021
    Do you know how you got Office 2010 to work? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

4. ciyive9642

ciyive9642 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2020
    Why do you want to use Office 2010, this forum provides you tools to use the latest Microsoft Office without any ₹ from your pocket. So why?

5. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. StrugglingwithOffice

Feb 21, 2022
    Maybe it's because it does the job decently enough? Why get the newer one if you're fine using the old one?

7. ciyive9642

ciyive9642 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2020
    It's fine if you're fine with the old one. For me, the design changes and new features along with updates matter a lot. I think you should try the new one, if you don't like it you can always switch to the older version.

8. StrugglingwithOffice

Feb 21, 2022
    It's not that I'm necessarily opposed to the new(er) version(s), it's just that they don't work in my experience. 2013 opens my document, but is very sluggish (while 2007/2010 are just fine with it) and anything higher opens up my document with everything greyed out, despite being activated.

9. sunshineways23

sunshineways23 MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2017
    #9 sunshineways23, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    I was just forced to upgrade from 2010 to 2016 because GoDaddy no longer supports Outlook 2010. The new version is miserable to use...
    Outlook 2016 (I've only been able to spend approximately 2 hours in the program since upgrading and the below is my short-list of items I've already found):
    1. I cannot select multiple attachments to drag & drop to my Windows folders. I have to drag/drop one at a time, or I have to right-click and "Save all Attachments" and then select where I want to save. Drag & drop was much quicker and easier.
    2. The colors/theme of the new program are horrible compared to 2010. That's a personal preference deal, but I don't see how anybody would be in favor of the new look.
    3. Mouse-wheel scrolling up and down in the inbox is extremely slow... it only allows you to scroll up/down 1 email at a time. For comparison, I have it set to a sensitivity of 25 lines at a time for Excel.
    4. Everything is slower/laggier to respond.
    5. I can't select the "attach this document to email" icon in Adobe Acrobat Professional.... so to send any PDF's that I have open, I have to go find them in MS Explorer, compose a new Outlook email and then drag/drop into Outlook.
    6. The spacing on the left side where you have all of your email folders is larger. So you cannot fit as many folders/subfolders in that space as you could in Outlook 2010.

Excel 2016 (I've only been able to spend approximately 15 minutes in the program since upgrading and the below is my short-list of items I've already found):
    1. Slower and laggy.
    2. The colors of your shortcut items in the top ribbon are very similar to each other. In other words, the icons used to have much more distinguishing factors between all of the top shortcuts. You're forced to use the "White" theme for Office 2016 to get the best differing colors for the top shortcut bar in Excel.
    3. Whenever you start a new document and go to save it (ctrl+S) it pops up some window that gives you the option to save to OneDrive and other misc stuff that I don't use. Instead of immediately being able to select somewhere on my PC, I have an additional step to select Browse. I have to click twice, because it doesn't register my first click for some reason.
    4. The Quick Ribbon is brighter, which is annoying.

Word 2016: I've only spent 2 minutes in the new program. No major complaints yet, but I'm sure I'll have plenty once I dig into it.

TLDR: Do what you can to stay on Office 2010. It's grossly superior to Office 2016 in my opinion.

EDIT:
    Excel 2016:
    5. Every time you open a new workbook, Excel will maximize an already open Excel window prior to opening the new workbook... so if you want to open a workbook to check something and close it immediately after, you then have to minimize an additional window, just because Excel likes to maximize your another workbook you have open already. Anybody proficient with Excel 2010 will be driven completely mad with Excel 2016.
    6. Everything takes longer. It takes longer to open files, switch tabs, edit cells, scroll, switch worksheets, run macro's, run formula, scroll, copy/paste, etc... it drives me absolutely crazy. A common copy/paste is so difficult now. I used to be able to copy something and then hit ctrl+v, release and hit v again. This pastes values only. Now, you have to wait for it to fully paste after you hit ctrl+v to pop up the menu of "paste special" and then hit "v" to paste values only. So a process that used to take less than a second to run with muscle memory now takes 2-3 seconds. It doesn't seem like much, but you should never have to wait for your computer to handle something as simple as copy/paste. With today's hardware, everything like that should be seemless and the software should be 100000x faster than your brain.

Word 2016:
    1. Same issue as Excel bullet point #5 above.